Jury service pre booked annual leave

Comments

• JReacher1 wrote: »
    Seriously how do you expect me to provide proof of this? Do you want me to hand over the company handbook for every company in the UK?

As I said in my post the OP should check their company policy which is perfectly sensible advice, but as normal for some reason you want to start an argument about the use of the word "most". You want to chill a bit really!

I will clarify my comment just to appease you! Every company I have worked for in the private sector has always paid you when you are doing jury service. In addition all of my friends who have done Jury service have still been paid by their private sector company.

Finally the official government advice is that "many employers do pay you when you do Jury Service"

https://www.gov.uk/giving-staff-time-off-jury-service/paying-staff-on-jury-service

I accept "many" has a different meaning to "most" but it is the best I can do!

I think the problem is most people naturally tend to assume that their experience, which is often in one field of work, applies across the board.

Another example we see regularly on here is people suggesting that bland minimal references are the norm. They may be in many fields, perhaps the majority, who knows? However they are not the norm in my field of work and indeed quite a few other areas.

As an aside, it is interesting how many employees feel their employer should "carry the can" for so many of life's eventualities! As has been said jury service is a civic duty for which, rightly or wrongly, the government has decreed that only limited financial compensation will be made. Whether the individual or their employer should end up out of pocket is an interesting debate. Personally, perhaps influenced by having been self employed for a significant part of my working life, I feel individuals should take more personal responsibility.
  • I'd turn up for jury service, use the holiday (and therefore be paid full amount) and possibly have no service to do after day 1.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd turn up for jury service, use the holiday (and therefore be paid full amount) and possibly have no service to do after day 1.

*fingers crossed*

Im going to apply to defer as happy to do any other date, not sure if employer pays for jury service but happy to scarifice the wage than do/use annual leave in court.

Will keep you updated on outcome.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Forumite
    Just to add our experience, DS2 was called to jury service here soon after he'd started a new job and moved to London. It's not commutable, and of course if he'd come home to do it, then he wouldn't have been able to go to work for any odd days he wasn't needed.

One quick phone call, and his service was moved to the Old Bailey ...

So, the OP has applied to defer, but for anyone else coming along later to read this thread, best advice is to read the information you're sent and contact the court if there are problems. Always bearing in mind that you can't just defer repeatedly.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 12 November 2018 at 9:59AM
    I agree with sangie - tell them you are on annual leave and they will re-allocate you.

They may not. Friend of mine, a teacher, got summoned over Summer holiday - lost over half of it because he hadn't booked anything.

I've been lucky enough to do it twice. Loved it both times. Terrible for the self-employed jurors I did it with as they forfeited two week's work. My employer paid me, but some don't.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Forumite
    I've been lucky enough to do it twice. Loved it both times. Terrible for the self-employed jurors I did it with as they forfeited two week's work. My employer paid me, but some don't.

I'll be honest, if I were self employed I just wouldn't do it. Best case scenario (and most likely IMO) they'll do nothing. Worst case you'll get a £1000 fine which is likely to be less than the lost earnings. I understand it a 'civic duty' but it's not worth being significantly out of pocket for.
  • Gavin83 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, if I were self employed I just wouldn't do it. Best case scenario (and most likely IMO) they'll do nothing. Worst case you'll get a £1000 fine which is likely to be less than the lost earnings. I understand it a 'civic duty' but it's not worth being significantly out of pocket for.

I am not sure that is the worst case!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Forumite
    I am not sure that is the worst case!

Well I'll have to disagree. Got any evidence of what you're saying?

I'll back up my stance, with a link to the gov.uk website confirming exactly what I said: https://www.gov.uk/jury-service
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Gavin83 wrote: »

I'll back up my stance, with a link to the gov.uk website confirming exactly what I said: https://www.gov.uk/jury-service

I wouldn't personally get into trouble over something that you might find interesting. Yes it'll cost you in the long run, but I'd rather claim my expenses and not bring a world of hassle to my door. In my experience it was quite refreshing seeing justice in all it's glory.
  • Gavin83 wrote: »

In addition to being fined up to £1000 you can also be ordered by a court to do it on a future occasion. If you ignore that court order you are in contempt of court and could be sent to prison for up to two years! How likely that is to happen is another matter but it is certainly possible.

Walking out mid way through a trial "because your work is more important" would get you down that road rather faster! Contempt of court is a strict liability offence so you could be arrested, hauled back before the same judge and locked up in the space of a few hours!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure