Top Cash ISAs

MSE_Helen_S
MSE_Helen_S Posts: 106 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 26 February 2020 at 6:21PM in ISAs & tax-free savings
Hi!
This is the discussion thread for the Top Cash ISAs guide.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks folks

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm carrying on with my Coventry loyalty ISA 2.5%. I doubt anything to beat it for instant access will come along for a few years yet.
    I know about interest paying current accounts, got them as well.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    All seem a bit rubbish tbh

The best rate (2.25%) is the equivalent of 2.81% AER pre-tax from a 20p tax payer, AND you're locked in for four years!

The Virgin one is effectively 2.93% AER pre tax

This being said, the fixed rate ones are "OK" if you're a 40p tax payer ie: the equivalent of getting 3.75% pre tax OR for Virgin 3.91% pre tax
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't want the hassle of opening one of the interest-bearing current accounts and having to transfer money in an out every month, so I'm looking for just a 1-year cash ISA at the best rate. Is Virgin the best choice for basic rate tax payers at 1.65%?
  • alkip
    alkip Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 7 April 2015 at 12:54PM
    I'm in exactly the same position as you LadyDee and simply wish to transfer existing ISA monies in to a new, better paying provider account. There is Aldermore which pays 1.65 but I shall follow your thread and see if anyone comes up with any better suggestions.
    Live long and prosper
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    alkip wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same position as you LadyDee and simply wish to transfer existing ISA monies in to a new, better paying provider account. There is Aldermore which pays 1.65 but I shall follow your thread and see if anyone comes up with any better suggestions.

For the sake of a few minutes to set it up I'd personally use current accounts to get 5/4/3% but if that's too much effort then you're probably stuck with what's already mentioned.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jimjames wrote: »
    For the sake of a few minutes to set it up I'd personally use current accounts to get 5/4/3% but if that's too much effort then you're probably stuck with what's already mentioned.

This pretty much. This being said, Ill probably get an easy access ISA just in case as it were!!!

Though Im personally waiting for Nationwide to come out with a really good instant access saver to then pull from the market in like...2 weeks (which they've done for the past two years)
  • redglass_2
    redglass_2 Posts: 771 Forumite
    I'm currently in the process of leaving Nationwide. The branch staff do their best but they are a long way from here, since Nationwide closed our local branch and I live in a rural area. The website and the call centre have been endless trouble and at one point told me the account didn't exist, causing much anxiety for which Nationwide have since paid me compensation. Now I'm supposedly set up with new login details and am STILL having trouble, so I reckon that's enough. Am going elsewhere as soon as I can set it up. Have a look at their online reviews - they are damning.
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• reph4444
    reph4444 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hope someone can help
    I currently have more than the ISA allowance of £15240 in a Tesco ISA and they have advised that they are due to reduce the interest from 1.25% to 0.75%. I've looked on the MSE website and it suggests Post Office (@1.41%) is the best option for transfer in, but when I went on the PO website it indicates that you can only transfer upto £15240. Any suggestions please?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    reph4444 wrote: »
    Hope someone can help
    I currently have more than the ISA allowance of £15240 in a Tesco ISA and they have advised that they are due to reduce the interest from 1.25% to 0.75%. I've looked on the MSE website and it suggests Post Office (@1.41%) is the best option for transfer in, but when I went on the PO website it indicates that you can only transfer upto £15240. Any suggestions please?

Where does it say that?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-isa#Overview

It actually says there is no limit to what you can transfer in (using the PO transfer process). You can however only pay in up to £15240 of new money.

Before you leap into it, please read around the forum. There are several threads about the many problems experienced with the PO ISA :(
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a similar problem as reph4444.
    I have remitted this years whole allowance to HSBC
    I have an old fixed ISA maturing this week at Santander, which drops down to 1.25%
    Would postoffice allow transfer of just my old money?
    Regards
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure