Electric turned off inside flat but meter still running

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    please let us know iwhen you get it sorted out and what the problem was.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You don't need to get Eon out - turn everything off and read your in home device, take a reading from that of Kwh.

Now, just fill your kettle up and turn it on, make sure only the kettle and IHD are plugged in and turned on - if you have electric heating and/or an immersion in a hot water tank make sure both of these are turned off.

Now get a new reading from your IHD - it may have increased by 1, possibly 2, units when the kettle has finished boiling.

As well as the KwH reading, also look at the daily consumption graph on the IHD - this will show a small increase after the kettle test even if the KwH reading does not show much of an increase.

If no movement, fill the kettle again and turn it on again and get another reading.

Did the KwH reading increase after boiling the kettle?

If so then you have the correct meter - if not then the meter is not yours and you have saved the £64 or £100 depending on where you go to resolve the problem.

One of the settings on the IHD will display the meter serial number - is it the same one as that on the actual meter which you think is yours?
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:20PM
    I am not sure why there are random numbers and exclamation marks in my original post, so apologies for that. I!!!8217;ll go and check my meter again later and the cables that are coming out of it. My smart meter portable display thing is not working either, so can!!!8217;t check my consumption. That!!!8217;s a moot point at the moment as when my fuse box is fully switched off, something somewhere is causing my meter to run still. Someone is going to ring me back tomorrow from E-On o can discuss things further there but how the hell do I know whether it!!!8217;s the actual meter causing the problem or some thing which was connected wrongly by the contractors for the build?
    As an aside when I initially talked to someone from E-On, they said to turn off the isolated switch by the meter and check to see if communal lights etc lost power. There are only 2 switches next to my meter, but when I did that I was still receiving electricity to the flat (this was before my fuse box test). My meter is situated in a cupboard with 2 other meters which supply the 2 other flats on my floor. We all moved in around the same time, their readings are around the 325 kWh mark....mine is 817 kWh now : ( there is no change in the rate it!!!8217;s going up even with the boiler, cooker etc switched off. In face the only appliance I use a lot of is the new fridge freezer and my tv...and both of those shouldn!!!8217;t be drawing appx 18-20 kWh per day.
    Sorry for the long reply, it may seem like a minor stress for some, but I!!!8217;m on the verge of a breakdown as every day my bill is increasing. Thank you for the replies and advice xx

I agree with others.
    If you have switched off the 2 switches and you are still receiving electricity to your flat, then you are probably looking at somone elses meter

Contact your 2 neighbours, and agree a convenient time to establish who has which meter.

Simple to do. Simply turn all 3 metered supplies off, and ensure none of the 3 flats have electricity. Then turn them on one at a time, and see which property gets electricity.

It is important you do this, as not only will it affect your billing, but more importantly you need to know which switch(es) to use to isolate your electricity in an emergency.

Then you should each call your supplier and advise them accordingly.

You appear to have the wrong in-house display unit too.
    Well the one you have relates to the meter you thought was yours, but it seems is not actually yours.

[IMG]http://www.dropbox com/s/qpe6s7nii4mgt9z/IMG_9584 JPG?[/IMG]

[IMG]http:///www.dropbox.com/s/qpe6s7nii4mgt9z/IMG_9584 JPG?[/IMG]
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:36PM
    You dont need to talk to Eon or your housing association to work out which meter is yours. Just do as suggested above and save all the grief that you are putting yourself through.

Stop using the IHD, it's just confusing you.

You need to find out which meter stops & starts when you do something in your flat. Just trying to watch it when it's the wrong one and the flat it's connected to is cooking their dinner or watching the telly wont help you identify yours.

If you continue to keep looking at the IHD and the meter that you think is yours, you'll never work it out
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 8:46PM
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Also check the meter serial number against what it says on the bill - if you don't yet have a bill call your supplier and ask them what meter serial number you are being billed against.
    The wrong bloody meter had been assigned to me. Whether it was E-on or the housing association that had labelled it incorrectly I do not know.
    If you haven't already done so, do as D_M_E suggested above. Check if the meter number listed on your electric bill matches up to the no.4 meter you think is yours, or if it matches the incorrectly labelled meter.

I'd also photograph the no.4 meter, and the incorrectly labelled meter for your flat, note the details down and send it all to E-On (and it was probably the builders that labelled them incorrectly in the first place).
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 8:50PM
    Thank you so much Smodlet. Matelodave, where you able to look at the link I posted? The portable unit is definitely communicating with the meter in question. I supplied the meter serial number when I moved in as I was told by the housing association that was mine. Ive had the first bill through which when I realised how much he meter was increasing by., and started to look into things. Now its looking like a crossed meter or not mine at all. I am so thankful for all your help, its very useful. I think I just have to bite the bullet and pay E-on to come out, and if I can spread the cost of this until I;m (hopefully) refunded.
    Virtually every new building estate I see when I`m reading the meters, has this problem somewhere.
    Crossed meters. Its caused by the houses and flats being built with plot numbers then once they start selling them they are assigned a number.
    You do not need Eon to sort this if its a crossed meter.
    Put a high using appliance on such as a steam iron and look at other meters to see which one has the little red light pulsing on and off very quickly. Switch the appliance off and see if the light slows.
    If it does , note the serial number, make, model, year of the manufacture of the meter , date it was installed and its start reading, then get in touch with Eon.Eon will still eventually send out a meter reader to get these details as well
    They need all these details to get your meter assigned to the correct flat.Some other flat dweller will also be having problems as well '.
    Label your meter with your flat number so any future meter readers get the correct meter
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    MaggieSimpson, I think you have just illustrated exactly what this forum is for. We all live, we all learn. No-one is stupid for not knowing what was told to them was incorrect unless they do not question it. You are the person who has taken initiative to resolve this situation, not your neighbours, not Eon.

Please stop stressing and try to enjoy your new home. Helena and Malc should have been here by now, imho, but there is probably a reason why they have not been. I have tried to find an email address for them but to no avail.

Sleep well and know that help will still be here tomorrow, should you need it.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 9:38PM
    House martin how do I find the start read on the meter? It will not be a true reading as the builders would have been using electricity before I moved in, but maybe the housing association will have their final meter read from the date when (no 4) took over the responsibility for the account. I took all of the other details when I ascertained meter 4 was mine. I am breathing a sigh of relief for myself but now someone else might have issues :undecided
    There should be a card stuffed behind the meter attached to the wooden backboards. It has details like date it was installed , serial number and its start reading.electric meters do not all start at 00000. Could be a much higher start reading usually with a large number of new builds tho they use batches of brand new meters with similar serial numbers.Reading could be , say 00080 , or something similar or even much higher if the builders are using heaters and brewing cuppas.
    If the card is not behind the meter look on the floor. Sometimes they end up lying around nearby
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Thank you so much for your kind words, Im actually shedding a tear or two. To many it would have been a minor inconvenience, but to me it was a huge deal, and the last straw in a year full of terrible luck/stress. For strangers to take a few minutes out of their day to help me not only saved me money, but helped to remind me that society is inherently full of good people. I will sign off for the night before I end up reciting Whitney Houston lyrics from Greatest Love Of All :rotfl: but I can now relax (after I tell my neighbour the bad news about what they thought was their meter/help them find theirs. I will still keep one eye on my other utilities in case there is any !!!! up there too lol) xx

Oh, come on! :D You are a brave, capable lady... And you do realise we actually have nothing better to do, right? Then, we could be playing stupid games killing virtual people but instead we come on here and occasionally do a bit of good (in my case, in between taking the pee) Yay! All right, it's out there now. :p
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    House martin how do I find the start read on the meter?
    Your neighbours bill is a record of your usage. Daily usage from this should give a close estimate if you cannot provide a start reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure