ThinkMoney Bank

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum place to open this thread but it seemed the most fitting.

I've been with ThinkMoney since around December 2009 when I fell into debt with Barclays and a great many other creditors.

My reason for switching was that when I was entering into a DMP I was told to close my Barclays account and stop using it immediately, never to pay money into it and do not contact them. I was then passed through to ThinkMoney by Gregory Pennington. The ThinkMoney advisor told me I wouldnt be able to open an account with most banks due to my financial status and that their paid account was the only option I had, they explained that the benefits of the account were that they held onto a portion of my money for bills and put all the remainder on a card for me to use, thus not missing payments etc.

Aside from their budgeting system not working properly for certain direct debits that go out mid-month it kind of works.
The other big selling point for it was a "personal money manager" this is essentially just a customer service rep on the other end of the phone, which I have to wait upwards of 30 minutes to get through to.

If I recall correctly I paid about £15 per month to begin with and over the years that has changed to £17.50.
It occurred to me today, while working through moving everything over to Nationwide, that I've been charged an awful lot of money for a bank I was advised I had no other option but to take and that this may have been a little bit naughty on their side to tell me... as in hindsight it wasn't true.

I'm wondering before I spend the time on it, if it's worth pursuing an attempt to claim some or all of the charges back from them for misguiding me into believing my only option was this account.

Has anyone else had any dealings with them? How did it go?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice people are able to offer :)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm wondering before I spend the time on it, if it's worth pursuing an attempt to claim some or all of the charges back from them for misguiding me into believing my only option was this account.

That bank account has a standing monthly charge. Just as they are allowed to do and they have no alternative. So, you will get nothing back from them.

If you believe GP gave you incorrect information, then you can complain to them and provide any evidence to support your allegation.

However, that bank account is known to be available to poor credit holders and if you are on a debt management plan, getting a bank account with a mainstream bank is harder. It is bank account aimed at people with poor money management.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Tucker65
    Tucker65 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Thanks dunstonh, thought I'd check first before going through the process of letters and complaints.

You have saved me a lot of time and effort :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport