Looking for advice on what to do with bills after redundancy

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice after being made redundant at the end of December. I am still waiting on my redundancy payment being paid out but in the meantime I am using credit cards to get by for everyday living. I am going to be receiving a small amount, around 4k redundancy and I need to make this last me until i can find a new job.

In the meantime should I be calling up my bank to let them know about my situation. I haven't done this yet as I don't want them to suspend my credit cards. I also have a loan with them of 12k which i can put a stop to for 1 month using the online facility but ideally I would like a longer holiday on this. Is this something a phone call to the bank will solve?

Other bills include the following:
  • Car finance
  • MBNA Credit Card (already paying the minimum on this)
  • Mobiles
  • Utility bills

I am also due to submit a tax return by the 28th. I have yet to complete this and submit it but I know I will be die the HMRC money and it will be a large one of payment. Should I call them and let them know about my situation?..... I am hoping they can freeze the payment or let me settle it in small amounts.

I have been online and submitted a JSA form while I look for a new role, I have the first appointment on Friday which I am not looking forward too. Is there anything else I should be thinking about looking into as my partner is not in work and we have two kids so its all a bit tight right now and I am fearing the worst. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Not sure about bank/finance - maybe better posting as well in the debt free wannabe board.

If you are in credit with your bills, especially Utility, then start looking at switching if possible - you could save yourself some money and possibly even get credits from the old supplier/s. :)

When you walk past a recruitment agency - check out their signs I know of one round here that is particularly on an industrial estate with a banner outside that accepts walk in's and advertises next day work if you don't mind industrial. Though the same recruitment agency ladies for the office side, called me this week for telesales work and it turned out they were telesales'ing me! (although genuine vacancy existed and I got full marks for knowing their 'client' ha ha) so this is definitely the time to hit the agencies and job boards. They were even more positive about getting me permanent work then I ever could be.

I'll have battered of 2 interviews from old applications made (which were pretty much going to be next day 'interview opportunities') plus the above all this week so I reckon it is quite good out there just now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure