Options
2»

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Viksum wrote: »
    Your advice is spot on and just what I was looking for. You say, part of the wall might need rebuilding, he left 1 meter on each side of the wall so it's not completely fully down, this is where the plug sockets and light switch are. The gap is about 4/5 metres wide. Is that any help? I am sorry to go on but I've been waiting a long time to talk to someone about it.
    That bit is good as it means the connecting walls at least have some buttressing, whether it is enough or not I cannot comment on.

If the gap is 4 or 5m wide and there is 1m either side, it suggests the room is 6 or 7m wide. What is the length in the other direction - from one end of the knocked together rooms to the other?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Viksum
    Viksum Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure, it's quite long. I'll measure tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks for your replies.
  • Viksum
    Options
    My measurements were out. Ok, the overall length of the room with wall knocked out is 770cm. The gap where the wall was is 230cm and the 2 two walls at each side of the gap are 70cm each.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    My measurements were out. Ok, the overall length of the room with wall knocked out is 770cm. The gap where the wall was is 230cm and the 2 two walls at each side of the gap are 70cm each.

Forum folks have not seen your home and this point has been well covered in above posts. However, based on general building ethos you gap is not excessive - in terms of a lintel it is well within the realms of everyday openings and little different to a patio door opening. Also the 700mm each side gives a pier and sounds OK. Any risks or dodgy areas would also centered around the two 700mm piers. If the opening was knocked through and these piers weakened or cracked then there would be concerns. If the opening was carefully formed and the piers undamaged, or carefully and meticulously repaired then again OK. Plus one assumes these 700mm piers are tied back into, or bonded into, adjacent walls. Without seeing nobody can say.

None of us have a crystal ball so we do not know what happened some years back!
  • Viksum
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. My question was purely asking if it had needed a lintel would anything of moved, cracked or fell through after few years. I do wish I had a crystal ball! The two piers were undamaged and had been cut perfectly and both attach onto adjacent walls. Maybe I should stop worrying then. But if I do decide to go for a lintel, Which one is best, concrete or metal? I don't think I'll rest until we have one in - even if we don't need one!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. My question was purely asking if it had needed a lintel would anything of moved, cracked or fell through after few years. I do wish I had a crystal ball! The two piers were undamaged and had been cut perfectly and both attach onto adjacent walls. Maybe I should stop worrying then. But if I do decide to go for a lintel, Which one is best, concrete or metal? I don't think I'll rest until we have one in - even if we don't need one!

That's a question for the structural engineer if you decide to employ one.

The revised measurements you've given are helpful. The original ones implied the width of the room was up to 7m (which is a long span for joists) that in turn implied the joists were most likely to span in the opposite (narrower) direction and would therefore have needed support by the wall which is no longer there.

As the revised dimensions suggest the rooms are more or less square in shape the joists could span in either direction, which means your husband could possibly be correct.

We can't really add much more to what has already been said. If you really don't believe it is safe then you need professional advice. Without having that advice, adding a lintel because you think you might need one could be a waste of money, and more importantly, the work involved in installing it might make the situation worse.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Viksum
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks for your advice. I'll take on board what you have said and possibly look around for someone to have a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure