Can a shopkeeper refuse to give change?

Options

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the signs at the car park entrance don't mention 'change giving' (or to use the more formal term "the signs are silent on change giving"), it would be a case of "What would a reasonable person expect?"

For example...

Would a reasonable person expect the payment machines to give change, and see no need to check?

Would a reasonable person park then check whether the payment machines give change? And if not, leave the car park within the grace period.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    And the lack of change-giving wasn't mentioned on the tariff board I checked shortly after parking.
    I guess this would be the key point if you challenged them in court... I personally wouldn't expect a car park machine to give change (I keep some silver in the car just in case) but I would expect the tariff board or the machine itself to state "No Change Given" to give you the option of not accepting the implied contract. Newer pay-on-exit ones often take cards as well so I don't know if that would be a get out because it was an alternative.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The majority of car park payment machines near to where I live don't need to give change or don't need to state that no change is given as all of the payment inserted counts towards the time you can stay.

If for example they are 70p for an hour and you put in £1, the expiry time on the printed ticket would be 1hr & 25min from when you paid.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    There is no law that says shops have to give change. Such a sign would therefore be legal. If you don't like the terms of the contract then don't enter into a contract.

While theres no law that expressly states it, that happening would go against the rules of contract law and contract formation where the acceptance needs to exactly match the terms of the offer.

Theres also the various laws around unfair or misleading trading practices to consider.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    While theres no law that expressly states it, that happening would go against the rules of contract law and contract formation where the acceptance needs to exactly match the terms of the offer.
    That would imply the customer must provide the exact amount.
    Theres also the various laws around unfair or misleading trading practices to consider.
    What about shops that refuse £50 notes? Even for something costing £50?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    The majority of car park payment machines near to where I live don't need to give change or don't need to state that no change is given as all of the payment inserted counts towards the time you can stay.

If for example they are 70p for an hour and you put in £1, the expiry time on the printed ticket would be 1hr & 25min from when you paid.
    Car parks and even parking meters round here don't seem to work that way. You can only buy discreet chunks of time, eg typically you can only buy 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours etc. If it's £1.10 an hour and you put in £2, you'll only get one hour.

Parking meters are the same except they use smaller chunks eg 15 or 30 minutes.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,519 Forumite
    Options
    BA4CNyUCcAEDRZy.jpg

In fact, a postage stamp is legal tender. A busdriver would have to accept that as currency.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    BA4CNyUCcAEDRZy.jpg

In fact, a postage stamp is legal tender. A busdriver would have to accept that as currency.

Two points:

a) a bus driver is free to reject your custom - there is no debt if he doesn't accept you on his bus so he would not have to accept any legal tender.

b) I dont think you are right regarding stamps http://blog.royalmint.com/are-stamps-legal-tender/
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    That would imply the customer must provide the exact amount. What about shops that refuse £50 notes? Even for something costing £50?

No it doesn't. They (for example) are offering to buy the product at £2.99 - they then offer to pay for it by using a £10 note. The two are separate.

As for refusing notes, thats a whole different scenario because the shopkeeper isn't changing the price of anything.

As for the discussion around legal tender...it is basically a defence in english law if you are sued for non-payment of debt, that you offered to pay in legal tender. It does not govern the rules of what currency or notes must be used for ordinary transactions. A retailer could opt to only be paid in brass buttons if they so wished, just it would be a silly business decision not to accept the currency widely used in the country you're operating.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,519 Forumite
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    Two points:

a) a bus driver is free to reject your custom - there is no debt if he doesn't accept you on his bus so he would not have to accept any legal tender.

b) I dont think you are right regarding stamps http://blog.royalmint.com/are-stamps-legal-tender/

If the bus driver refuses your stamps, then as long as you have enough you could order a taxi and pay with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAcdV019oMQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport