MSE Poll: Have you planned for your funeral?

Former_MSE_Karl
Former_MSE_Karl Posts: 175 Forumite
First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 20 March 2018 at 4:41PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 6 March 2018

Have you planned how to finance your funeral?

Funerals/cremations can cost more than £5,000 and if not planned for can leave stress and cost for family. So we wanted to find out what preparation you have done.

Please select the NEAREST option to your view.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• I cashed in my small pensions and paid for my funeral as i would only have had a few pounds a month from them and this way my family will not have the worry of finding a large sum of money to pay for my funeral especially if i live for a long time
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March 2018 at 2:12PM
    M'father-in-law left no instructions or plans (other than "leave me out for the dustman"), so the womenfolk had to cope.

It was painful to watch and an eyeopener at how much it ended up costing. And I still haven't done anything about my funeral - but it has bounced up the To Do list.

I do wish funeral parlours did a loyalty scheme "buy one get one discounted" or whatever, although I'm told just being a coop member gets you £50 off. (Website phrases it differently - "exclusive member prices on Co-op funerals and funeral plans - saving you at least £150" - clearly forward planning saves additional money.)
  • It doesn't actually cost anything to bury someone, or do the burial paperwork.

The costs are all add-ons. If you have a bad back, then you need someone to dig. If you want a party, you might need caterers. If you find filling in the little tear-off part at the bottom of the burial certificate too arduous, then give it to a funeral firm and pay them to do it. It'll take them 30 seconds but I bet they'll tell you how difficult it is and charge you loads. I buried mother in a field. Total cost about £20 (well, there was the diesel to drive her there!)
  • Ive already fully paid up for my funeral with Golden Charter. The thought of other people having to fork out for my funeral and cremation doesn't bear thinking about.

By paying up, in full, before I'm even 50, makes me happy. When I do need a funeral, it's just one phone call and it's all sorted...OK, the people left will have to pay a bit towards disbursements, but I'm happy knowing I've covered most of it myself.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If there isn't any money left when I die, social services will pay for the cremation. I've got a couple of family plots with enough space for cremains if social services care enough to put me there. No-one else will.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Diane_H
    Diane_H Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This may not suit everyone, but do-it-yourself funerals are perfectly legal, and save thousands of pounds. We have done two now, the first for my father (he was such a skinflint, it was what he insisted on himself) in 2004 and again for my mother, in 2017.
    It isn't compulsory to use an undertaker, my father died in hospital and was taken from the ward to the hospital mortuary. We bought a cardboard bio-degradable coffin online which cost less than £200 including delivery. The mortuary staff were lovely and very helpful, we took the coffin in and they helped us put dad into it (although they would have done it for us if we hadn't wanted to be involved with that) and the coffin fitted in the back of an estate car. We had bought a plot in the Woodland Area of the local cemetery which cost around £900 including digging the grave and filling it in afterwards, and loaning the straps to lower the coffin. At the graveside, all the family contributed to a 'service' with readings, poetry, and shared memories, much more appropriate for non-religious people. Then back to our home for tea and sandwiches and chatting with the relatives and friends, everyone agreed that it was nicer and more personal than a normal funeral. Ten years later we repeated it when my mother died, we decorated her cardboard coffin with family photographs and flowers from her own garden. Had we wanted a cremation, the nearest council-run crematorium would have been happy to help us with that, again at minimal cost (under £700). Funeral directors lead people to believe that it is compulsory to use their services, but I can confirm that it isn't, and it's strangely comforting to do that last final thing for loved ones. If anyone wants any more information, they can message me.
    x
    2017 wins: *optimist*
  • Hopefully I won't be having a funeral as I have left my body to the medical department of a local university and they will get rid of my remains after they have finished with them.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March 2018 at 4:58AM
    Funeral bought & paid for, arranged even down to something I have requested they say to my son, who with luck will be the only one left to attend!

ETA I commented on here mostly because there wasn't an appropriate box to tick. Hopefully my chosen funeral director will still be there in 20 years as I am planning on living at wellinto my nineties.
  • M'father-in-law left no instructions or plans (other than "leave me out for the dustman"), so the womenfolk had to cope.

It was painful to watch and an eyeopener at how much it ended up costing. And I still haven't done anything about my funeral - but it has bounced up the To Do list.

I do wish funeral parlours did a loyalty scheme "buy one get one discounted" or whatever, although I'm told just being a coop member gets you £50 off. (Website phrases it differently - "exclusive member prices on Co-op funerals and funeral plans - saving you at least £150" - clearly forward planning saves additional money.)

When my mum died almost 2 years ago, I rang around all the funeral directors in my area and found the co-op were the 2nd most expensive! I was quite shocked at that.

I went with the cheapest, they were absolutely fine.

You can probably ring up yourself to arrange and start paying towards it, just ring to ask. Go with the eheapest and have a no frills funeral. My mum hated funerals, so she was cremated and no one went - that's what she wanted and I have to say, I agree. So my kids have been told to do the same for us, which they're very happy about.
  • My husband and I have prepaid for our funerals, which is an option not given in the poll.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure