The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Definitely, Ed - my repayment on my French mortgage is E657, and nowadays only about 11 euros is interest - but at first it was E150 or so at least. I can't even remember - I know it was a big moment when the monthly interest component sank below E100.

Veggie protein: I do actually like quorn sausages and those fillets. If pulses and beans on their own seem weird, you could mix them up with fried onion and an egg and fry them? The other thing is nuts - before I got ill, I'd regularly make nut burgers - a mix of brazils, walnuts, and cheaper local ones like hazels. Chestnuts at Christmas, of course :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Mortgage and Council Tax come to £1336 pcm combined for us. Add in £80 for gas & electric, then also amounts for water, TV Licence, Phone & Broadband, Life insurance ..... it soon mounts up!
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another £5.25 paid off a CC (cashback and some interest from an ill-fated P2P loan).
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Ed & Karma. re. vegetarian fake meat. Do you know if the ingredients are natural?

Re. Council tax - I pay mine as a lump sum when it is due. It is a lot of money to pay to the council for not a lot but I prefer to not think about it for the rest of the year. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    Alex, it's mycoprotein, a fungus culture mixed with egg albumen. So yes, relatively natural.

Why would you give your council an interest free loan?
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,865 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm veggie and DH isn't, but he's quite happy to eat Qu0rn - we use the mince and chicken pieces mainly (prefer LM's veggie sausage - bit more texture/flavour). Qu0rn do a recipe book that has quite a few good options in it, if you can get hold of a copy.

While I'm not a big nut fan, I've got to agree with Karma about the benefits of adding an egg - we have a delicious daal recipe (quite possibly found via a link from MSE many years ago) which is perfect on its own, but add an omelette to it (or any curry in our house!) and it's even better :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    Weigh in for the week and I have lost 5lbs! :j Also got my runner's high back after 5km on the treadmill last night :beer:
  • VDOT47
    Only advantage I can see to paying council tax upfront is if they accept payment on credit card and it can be done as part of a stooze?
  • VDOT47 wrote: »
    Only advantage I can see to paying council tax upfront is if they accept payment on credit card and it can be done as part of a stooze?

You are lucky if your local authority accepts credit card payments these days. Most are following HMRC - with the removal of that facility now that they cannot charge on the premium cost of using them that was to cover the cost that the credit card companies make to the agents for using them
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • VDOT47
    I just had a look on our local authority page for payment of council tax and they do still accept payment by credit card. If they still do come renewal time, then I might do this (on my 0% purchases CC) and use the monthly payments to overpay the mortgage instead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family