Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Beanie! Ellidee! :j:j This is lovely <happy sigh>
    ZTD wrote: »
    Strange more in that there's so many who want to do it. You'd think there would be at least some people who'd retire to never get up off the Turkish beach - but no...travel.
    I'm sure there are, Zeddy - they're probably not the sort of people who post on here tho.

How you doing? You got holibob plans for this year?

John Wyndham is definitely a cosy writer :rotfl: I was going to say he's just right for a 14 year old, but 14 year olds are very discerning these days, his characters are pretty shallow and intellectual and there's often only one bad guy.

You wait till I get my End Of The World novel published ... I'm very mean to people ;).
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Bob! Oh my god, this is amazing - as for disclosing the triffids, um, I may have missed them out :o just this time, you understand. When I've safely docked their stings again, I'll tell them then :D

Thank you for coming by!
  • It's like old times around here lately :D
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Karmacat
    It really is, isn't it ... something special happened back then. We've all gone on, but some of us are boomeranging back as well :) After all the hard work to get out of debt, damned if I'm going to not have enough income!

What about you, Bob? Are your financial plans on track, do you need this new focus too, or are things more or less the way you want them?
  • Yes and No..Mr.B has been a lot better he was always a work in progress. Mortgage weirdly enough is being paid right down at the moment so all is good there.

I stick around for the challenges and I read a lot of Frugal blogs. I am certainly heading in the right direction and i keep on honing it further and further.

I find myself surprised at the constant things i find out and thoroughly enjoy myself trying new things. I am rediscovering a love for crafting and I always was a thrifty but am getting a perverse satisfaction from finding ways to have the same lifestyle without compromising myself. Housewise, i am focusing on the garden and upcycling ( i love that word and Kirsty Allsop's use of it) of furniture-I have a couple of projects in mind.

It's all baby steps, but obviously stemmed from here. :D
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    John Wyndham is definitely a cosy writer :rotfl: I was going to say he's just right for a 14 year old, but 14 year olds are very discerning these days, his characters are pretty shallow and intellectual and there's often only one bad guy.

You wait till I get my End Of The World novel published ... I'm very mean to people ;).

Well in The Chrysalids he was somewhat mean to people.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Comes to the end of the book. The father of the protaganist wants him dead, and his uncle who previously saved his backside clash in a battle on horseback. Then people with the same mental powers as the children in question fly in, cover everyone with goop and rescue the kids. Then the conversation goes something like:
    • Them: The goop is non-lethal, and we cleaned it off you. However everyone else we didn't clean it off have suffocated. So really speaking it is pretty lethal after all. So not only are your entire family dead, your entire village is dead - including that friendly uncle who saved your life and covered for you while risking his own. But that's OK because we all think the same as you do and we're superior.
    • Children: Oh that's OK then...
    • Z: WHAT?!

They're flying in something functionally equivalent to helicopters, they met people riding on horseback, yet they're completely incapable of grabbing the kids and leaving nothing behind but The Finger without annihilating all human life?

:doh:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    That sounds lovely, it really does, especially the crafting. I'm definitely going to be doing some crafting - I've been playing about with some designs, and some ideas, and I love it. Have you officially joined that "14 projects in 2014" thread?
  • Karmacat
    :rotfl: thats great, Z! Thats sort of what I mean, about him being comparatively shallow, he doesn't go through the implications, tho to a 14 year old, he sounds like he does. And nowadays, I *might* read him, but only because he's **cosy** :D
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    That sounds lovely, it really does, especially the crafting. I'm definitely going to be doing some crafting - I've been playing about with some designs, and some ideas, and I love it. Have you officially joined that "14 projects in 2014" thread?

I am lurking on it :D
  • Karmacat
    I am lurking on it :D

I only just saw this :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Not doing too much thats mfw today, apart from tidying (which maintains the value of my property, dontcha know :D). I'm off to London, to champagne-and-canapes in Docklands ... so, borrowing Greying Pilgrim's 3 things to be grateful for I am grateful for:

- friends old and new, who stay with, its lovely to discover new compatabilities as we journey on, and to keep up with interests already shared as well.

- for the knowledge and opportunities gained through this site, and a few others as well, to broaden and support my life, and often the lives of those around me as well.

- for postivity, here and elsewhere: the equinox is only two months away :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family