Tax rebate SUCCESSES

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does that mean he has over or underpaid?

It doesn't mean either. He is probably paying the correct tax for the Code he has. The real question is - what Code does he have ...... and why, if it is different to 647L (and we are talking 10-11)?

Does he have a Forces pension which is coded out in order he pays the tax on that via his main employment?

Post his tax code ..... and the detail from his last P2 (Coding Notice) if you have it?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Hey i didnt know if anyone could help me, I too tried to use the checker but got confused :o

I started the end of Jan 09 on a little apprenticeship earning around 85 a week so i wasnt taxed...i did that until aug of that year. I then began working there will a full wage but getting paid by the hospital rather than the apprenticeship company...I dont have my payslips to hand but i was earning around £200-250 and getting £50ish PAYE taken from me a week. then in the nov i had another job within the hospital where i recieved a p60 from this april saying i had earned 4880.40 and payed 760.00 tax. I then got another job within the trust in the april but i dont think i need to take that into consideration?

I know that probably is very complicated and im sorry but does anyone know if i overpaid/underpaid?

If you need anymore info i can try and get some

Any replies would be much appreciated....thank you

If you go along to the Inland Revenue's website you will be able to find the amount of tax free pay allowed for a person of the age you were up to April. To me £4880 does not seem the kind of sum a person would pay tax on but I am out of touch now. When you find what you could earn tax free you can then work out if your Tax Paid is correct.
  • So, following using the new tool (which is great) we've realised my OH has been on OT tax code since April 2010. HMRC inform us this is incorrect and it should have been 647L (he earns £16500 pa). They are now 'looking into it'.

I'm assuming, from what I've read, this should mean a repayment?! Anyone?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm assuming, from what I've read, this should mean a repayment?! Anyone?

OT means that no tax free allowances have been given so yes it should mean a repayment if it turns out to be incorrect.
  • jem16
    sandonian wrote: »
    I bunged all the correct figures into your calculator and it told me that "There's a difference of £6850 between the tax free allowance suggested by age & salary, and the one from your tax code".

That's the problem with the code checker - it doesn't say that's the difference in the tax free alliowances and it doesn't say whether it's too high or too low.
    A split second later I was on the phone and in search of nearly £7K.

It wouldn't have been £7k anyway - it would have been 20% of £7k.
    After a bit of a wait, I had along conversation with a very nice lady who confirmed that my code was definitely wrong. I was underpaying tax by £12 a year!
    Huh???

Did you ask why? What should it have been and why?
  • jem16
    lee_chuter wrote: »
    I have just used the checker and it says i over pay by £3795

No it doesn't. It simply says your tax -free personall allowance differs by £3795.
  • dawkins
    dawkins Posts: 34 Forumite
    I just called HMRC after checking my code 451L - and it turns out I was still on an old code from when I had a full-time job with medical insurance (I'm now working part-time with no work benefits). So, over the phone, the chap I spoke to could confirm that I'm due a couple of hundred for this year, plus the two previous tax years are being investigated already and a rebate will be in the post in the next few weeks. I'm feeling a bit thick for not checking the code sooner, but very grateful for your article getting me to check at all! I'll be checking my tax code every year from now - thank you! :)
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dawkins wrote: »
    I'm feeling a bit thick for not checking the code sooner .......... I'll be checking my tax code every year from now -

I think if there's any real success out of this checker ........ that encompasses it? ;)

I check my Code microscopically every year when I get the P2. After all Income Tax represents the largest outgoing - by far - from my income. So why wouldn't everyone check what is essentially a statement of 'this is what you will pay in the coming year'!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Mikeyorks wrote: »
    It doesn't mean either. He is probably paying the correct tax for the Code he has. The real question is - what Code does he have ...... and why, if it is different to 647L (and we are talking 10-11)?

Does he have a Forces pension which is coded out in order he pays the tax on that via his main employment?

Post his tax code ..... and the detail from his last P2 (Coding Notice) if you have it?

Hi, his tax code is 647L but I have no idea about the P2 thing sorry, he keeps all his payslips in a safe place, you know the safe place where no one ever finds them again :rotfl:
    Mummy to Leeland 5, Lakota 4, Lennox 1 and expecting non id twins March 2011.
  • I have been trying to get back tax overpaid due to my late father's estate from July this year. This was caused by the company pension provider paying him after his death despite being advised. This went on for 2 months and they asked for refund after payment. They issued incorrect P60. Enver since I have been writing to Inland Revenue and telephoning them regularly documenting all contact. The pension provider has written to them twice to advise of correct6 P60 figure but they seem so far behind with their mail and also no one person is responsible for tax refunds so far it has been dealt with by Portsmouth, Nottingham, Cardiff and possibly Glasgow and Belfast offices of the Inland Revenue. It seems like a script from a comedy show but this is the way the Inland Revenue works any office picks up the file and you get no where. I will keep pursuing them until I get the refund for my mother just hope she lives long enough to benefit. It will probably need TV cameras and the Daily Telegraph to succeed. Good luck everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure