Halifax Clarity Card

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought that any payment you made automatically paid off the amount that attracts the most interest. Usually cash withdrawals.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I thought that any payment you made automatically paid off the amount that attracts the most interest. Usually cash withdrawals.

My Clarity has the same interest rate for purchases and withdrawals and credits are applied to statemented transactions first.
    For simplicity, I just make sure I pay off the statement before travelling.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 21 April 2018 at 5:42PM
    eDicky wrote: »
    I guess if you pay manually you could have that problem, but using direct debit would take care of it.
    Are you saying Tandem treat payments made by DD differently to manual payments? So for instance the £100 payment above would count towards the cash advance if customer has a full DD, but towards the statement if he hasn't? So presumably they don't reduce the DD if you make a manual payment? Or do they reduce it if you made a manual payment but have no unstatemented cash advances? Or no unstatemented purchases? Or neither/both?

I can't believe they'd allocate manual payments towards unstatemented stuff if the customer has an outstanding statement balance otherwise.
    For me it seems simpler when paying off a cash withdrawal early or immediately, if you don't have to calculate and pay off any statemented balance at the same time.
    Yes, but we on MSE who pay unstatemented cash advances to reduce interest are a tiny minority. The vast majority won't pay off their card till they get their statement, and they'd expect payments to go towards their statement balance.
  • zagfles
    Always stuff that's on a statement before stuff that isn't. Except Tandem it seems?
  • Gloomendoom
    We have two. We used to spend on one and withdraw on the other. Now, with the Starling account, we tend to spend on the Clarity and withdraw on the Starling.

Although, I must admit that lately I have started to spend more on the Starling too because I like the instant updates it sends to me by phone.
  • zagfles
    We have two. We used to spend on one and withdraw on the other. Now, with the Starling account, we tend to spend on the Clarity and withdraw on the Starling.

Although, I must admit that lately I have started to spend more on the Starling too because I like the instant updates it sends to me by phone.
    Yes much easier with 2 cards, I got 2 Claritys but now also got the Barclays Travel card which has no immediate interest on foreign cash advances so that's even easier! Just set a DD to pay it in full, and that's it.

Clarity might be slightly better outside Europe as Mastercard are a bit better but it'll be marginal.
  • Gloomendoom
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes much easier with 2 cards, I got 2 Claritys but now also got the Barclays Travel card which has no immediate interest on foreign cash advances so that's even easier! Just set a DD to pay it in full, and that's it.

I applied for a Barclays Travel card but was turned down, presumably because I already have two other Barclaycards.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you saying Tandem treat payments made by DD differently to manual payments? So for instance the £100 payment above would count towards the cash advance if customer has a full DD, but towards the statement if he hasn't? So presumably they don't reduce the DD if you make a manual payment? Or do they reduce it if you made a manual payment but have no unstatemented cash advances? Or no unstatemented purchases? Or neither/both?

I can't believe they'd allocate manual payments towards unstatemented stuff if the customer has an outstanding statement balance otherwise. Yes, but we on MSE who pay unstatemented cash advances to reduce interest are a tiny minority. The vast majority won't pay off their card till they get their statement, and they'd expect payments to go towards their statement balance.
    Now you've got me wondering also. The Tandem agent insisted that my cash advance would be paid off before anything else, and she also mentioned that my DD would be adjusted to pay statemented balance fully regardless of any manual payments (if not paid too close to the DD date of course).

But you have a point for anyone not using a DD, for which there's no provision to set up when applying for an account and can only be done later over the phone. I'll try to check the T&Cs and/or ask them.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • zagfles
    eDicky wrote: »
    Now you've got me wondering also. The Tandem agent insisted that my cash advance would be paid off before anything else,
    I would never trust the word of a bank call-centre agent, I've been told too much utter bull by them in the past. We've even had bank call-centre staff on MSE spouting utter rubbish!
    and she also mentioned that my DD would be adjusted to pay statemented balance fully regardless of any manual payments (if not paid too close to the DD date of course).
    But surely you don't want the DD adjusting if you make a manual payment to pay off unstatemented cash advances?
    But you have a point for anyone not using a DD, for which there's no provision to set up when applying for an account and can only be done later over the phone. I'll try to check the T&Cs and/or ask them.
    Suggest you get the written T&Cs rather than asking them. Bank staff doesn't seem to understand their own products IME, and rather than admitting they don't know the answer to a question, apologising and getting back to you, they guess.

I do find it hard to believe they'll allocate any payments towards unstatemented stuff before statemented, even if you have a DD. Have you made a cash advance between statement and DD date, with an outstanding statement balance, and worked out how many days interest you've been charged?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you made a cash advance between statement and DD date, with an outstanding statement balance, and worked out how many days interest you've been charged?
    I made one, that's why I asked how the payment would be allocated. Paid it three or four days later and would have been able to test what they told me but my DD was taken the next day so couldn't. I share your view of the incompetence of regular bank and card CS staff, but the new 'challenger' or fintech outfits such as Tandem are more likely to get it right in my experience.

Here's her words:
    "Hi Richard, the system is set up to pay off any cash withdrawals before the statement balance.
    Thanks"
    (Me)"...and I have already made a payment of £150 to pay off the withdrawal, on the understanding that this will be allocated to the cash withdrawal before any other part the balance even if already appearing on my statement."
    "No problem, your payment would have covered the cash balance and you will still see a small amount of interest in your next statement for the days we charge interest. Our system will ensure that it will request the right direct debit amount to ensure you are still considered a full payer!"
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport