NHS Penalty Charge Notice received

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And the charge is disproportionate.

The penalty charge is five times the prescription charge or a maximum of £100. Hardly disproportionate in my mind, particularly if it reminds people to pay when they should.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kugbsteve wrote: »
    Are you for real? Have you tried confronting NHS BECS regards fraudulant penalty charges? If not then I suggest your opinions should be less pointed. Firstly, once you provide evidence that the medical establishment was at fault they then require further evidences. Secondly once you provide further evidences they tell you your evidences are insufficient, thirdly, once you request they send your case to appeal, they refuse point blank and delay: However, this delay in sending to appeal gives them every opportunity to send reminders for payment daily. Once you contact your MP they might : and I mean might decide it best to follow process but with that comes daily reminders to pay the charge. The only thing that stops them in thier tracks is the threat of legal action due to breach of article 6 of the European Commission on Human rights indicating that they had breached the mental health act of 2005

YES they are absolute criminals.

Wouldn't it be easier to pay the prescription charge rather than steal from the NHS
  • Birdynumnum
    Options
    Boy are there some unforgiving souls on here, this reply intended for the poster and not the thous shalt nots that followed. I also recently received a penalty fine for apparently not holding a valid pre payment certificate, the fine was £134 £100 of which is the penalty and £34 for the script, this being over 3 months since the purchase of my card and naturally as the card covered a 3 month period I disposed of it upon expiration so cannot prove I had it, I paid in cash so no record on my bank statement..

Having spoken to my pharmacist he can't prove I had a valid card even though I always buy my certificates from him, I contested the fine explaining that I always buy 3 month pre pays please check your records, they maintain that I claimed the prescription without a valid card.I asked for a copy of the script to be scanned and emailed, they said it would be posted out to me taking up to 10 days, during this time the fine increased by a further £150 to £184, I'm still waiting for their copy of the script to arrive.

The script in question is for 4 items, mine is always for 8 being a transplant patient requiring a lot of anti rejection meds, I suspect the script in question is not for my meds but can't prove until their copy arrives if it ever does.To buck the trend and offer sympathy, it is clear in both cases that a genuine mistake was made by the claimants, the £100 fine later increasing to £150 is punitive considering no previous transgression, this smacks of a cash generator rather than a deterrent and is unfair to both parties. In future I will pay for all my cards using a credit card, I will take a picture of their copy of the script and keep all future cards following expiration, the nay sayers will say I should be doing this anyway but should we really have to cover our backs for any possible eventuality, sorry mate you got stiffed as did I.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Boy are there some unforgiving souls on here, this reply intended for the poster and not the thous shalt nots that followed. I also recently received a penalty fine for apparently not holding a valid pre payment certificate, the fine was £134 £100 of which is the penalty and £34 for the script, this being over 3 months since the purchase of my card and naturally as the card covered a 3 month period I disposed of it upon expiration so cannot prove I had it, I paid in cash so no record on my bank statement..

Having spoken to my pharmacist he can't prove I had a valid card even though I always buy my certificates from him, I contested the fine explaining that I always buy 3 month pre pays please check your records, they maintain that I claimed the prescription without a valid card.I asked for a copy of the script to be scanned and emailed, they said it would be posted out to me taking up to 10 days, during this time the fine increased by a further £150 to £184, I'm still waiting for their copy of the script to arrive.

The script in question is for 4 items, mine is always for 8 being a transplant patient requiring a lot of anti rejection meds, I suspect the script in question is not for my meds but can't prove until their copy arrives if it ever does.To buck the trend and offer sympathy, it is clear in both cases that a genuine mistake was made by the claimants, the £100 fine later increasing to £150 is punitive considering no previous transgression, this smacks of a cash generator rather than a deterrent and is unfair to both parties. In future I will pay for all my cards using a credit card, I will take a picture of their copy of the script and keep all future cards following expiration, the nay sayers will say I should be doing this anyway but should we really have to cover our backs for any possible eventuality, sorry mate you got stiffed as did I.

I am carer for someone who is epileptic after a stroke. So he gets a 5 year exemption. Card had about a year to run and they sent him a letter saying he was going to have to have pay a fine.

So they don't cross check anyway. Its just random checks and then send a letter without double checking. trying to catch you out.

You were miffed but imagine how distraught someone with a brain injury was getting that letter. When they knew they where exempt.

Got it sorted with no fine to pay. I believe that the pharmacy just ticks the box to say they have not see the card. If you don't produce it.

The easiest option is to charge everyone excluding children a £1 for each item on the script. 80% of the population don't pay anyway. Less admin all round.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Now this should be provable. When I worked in a Scottish pharmacy we issued the 3 monthly prepayment scripts from a book that had carbon paper. When the book was all used up it was returned to the
    NHSBSA.

Each PPC had a serial number on it and we filled in the patients name, DOB and address as it appeared on their prescription.

If the system is the same in England someone somewhere has a counter slip for your prepayment certificate. Can your pharmacist give you the address that he sends his prepayment paperwork back to so you can enquire with them?
  • Peanuts1904
    Options
    Hi. I'm reading your posts and after some advice. My mum had her medical exemption certificate renewed and took the new one in to her dentist at her appointment. Received treatment, paid charges, everything is fine and then receives a penalty charge of £100 plus £68 for unpaid fees. Apparently the dentist didn't check the certificate or amend her details re the new certificate and so charged her according to her old certificate. She has been told over the phone that it is entirely her responsibility to ensure the dentist is aware of her certificate and how much she should pay etc... And that the fine will very likely stand. Is this not ridiculous? If she has the right form, hands the right form over, declared everything corre signs the right documents and pays her charges should she be penalised, for what is the dentists administration fault?? She's in a right state, happy to pay the difference of treatment fees but gutted about the fine and feels like a first class criminal. I'm fuming on her behalf. Am I overreacting or does this sound slightly wrong to anyone? Thanks very much to you all.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi. I'm reading your posts and after some advice. My mum had her medical exemption certificate renewed and took the new one in to her dentist at her appointment. Received treatment, paid charges, everything is fine and then receives a penalty charge of £100 plus £68 for unpaid fees. Apparently the dentist didn't check the certificate or amend her details re the new certificate and so charged her according to her old certificate. She has been told over the phone that it is entirely her responsibility to ensure the dentist is aware of her certificate and how much she should pay etc... And that the fine will very likely stand. Is this not ridiculous? If she has the right form, hands the right form over, declared everything corre signs the right documents and pays her charges should she be penalised, for what is the dentists administration fault?? She's in a right state, happy to pay the difference of treatment fees but gutted about the fine and feels like a first class criminal. I'm fuming on her behalf. Am I overreacting or does this sound slightly wrong to anyone? Thanks very much to you all.

Responsibility for paying the correct fee remains with the patient.

A medical exemption certificate usually only applies to prescriptions. Do you mean a tax credits or low income certificate?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like your mother has a partial exemption certificate due to low income.

When she renewed it she was not entitled to as much exemption as before.

is that the case?

Does the certificate say how much the exemption she has is worth?

Did the dentist surgery advise her how much the total charge was so she could check the amount was correct?
  • wildfirejc
    wildfirejc Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bspm wrote: »
    Totally agree with you on every word.

Unlike some on here you do not possess a Degree in Benefits, it is a minefield and, when new to it, very confusing.

I too was caught out with the dentist charge, we have used the same dentist and receptionist since 1985, she virtually told me to sign the back too, like you say when someone is telling you that you do not have to pay why would you argue the point!

I received a penalty notice for the the cost of treatment and a £100 fine, I contacted my dentist first who was mortified I had received this and was advised to call whoever had issued the fine (cant remember now) and see if it could be waived, my dentist said that if it was not waived then they would pay the fine, it was waived.

Total misunderstanding caused by the receptionist not knowing the difference between IB and CB benefits as well as me not knowing either. I do not believe that most people stand and read an entire form of regulations either, also when I attended the dentist I did not even know which benefit I was in receipt of.

Like I said, maybe a Degree in Benefits would help lol !

BSPM, do you mind telling me who you spoke to, to get that waiver? I seem to be hitting a brick wall and my circumstances were very similar to yours.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    wildfirejc wrote: »
    BSPM, do you mind telling me who you spoke to, to get that waiver? I seem to be hitting a brick wall and my circumstances were very similar to yours.

BSPM made that post 18 months ago. I haven't looked to see if they are still active on the forum, it is possible that they have moved on.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport