Wholesale shopping as an individual?

Options
Hi all,

So I'm looking at the weather and it's starting to get sunnier - and that means BBQ season is coming up.

I like throwing BBQ gatherings, and I'm wondering if I can save a fair bit of money by buying meat, charcoal and vegetables from a wholesaler rather than Aldi/Lidl and the various Asian cash and carry places nearby.

But I've never bought anything wholesale as a private individual before - and the online ones I've used for various retail businesses tended to require proof that you were a business rather than a private individual. I'm not entirely sure of The Rules in that sense.

I've heard of various non-business groups of people who club together and shop wholesale, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about that, what is required, and where might be a good place to look (near Manchester).

Any advice from anyone who's done this kind of thing before?

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's worth seeing if you can get a Costco card - the individual membership requirements are here and there are warehouses in Trafford and Oldham.

They have a really good reputation for quality meat, which is always a good start for a BBQ.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I work for bookers and I know we only allow businesses to have a membership card but a lot if customers seem to give their cards to friends and family to borrow. I think makro and Costco are easier to shop at if you don't have a business but I could be wrong.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work for bookers and I know we only allow businesses to have a membership card but a lot if customers seem to give their cards to friends and family to borrow. I think makro and Costco are easier to shop at if you don't have a business but I could be wrong.

Makro is business only

But

I just faked a letter head, used a B&Q receipt for the boiler we had just bought , applied and got a card :)

Well DH is self employed and does have business cards ;)
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am a member of Costco and like the meat as I have always found it to be good quality but it is not particularly cheap. You also have to buy a yearly membership which is around £30.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    terobi wrote: »

I like throwing BBQ gatherings, and I'm wondering if I can save a fair bit of money by buying meat, charcoal and vegetables from a wholesaler rather than Aldi/Lidl and the various Asian cash and carry places nearby.

Depending on how much you are wanting to buy - may be worth asking the Aldi/Lidl manager if they will do you a deal
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check out great British meat, they sometimes have deals on meat as for example the original buyer didn't buy the meat.

There's also muscle food.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I would also point out that even getting a staff discount I still do the majority of my shopping at Aldi and Lidl. I think people think the wholesalers are a lot cheaper then they actually are. Yes something's are cheaper but not always.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure