10 year old with acne

Hi, my 10 year old daughter has over the past month or 2 started with acne across her nose and cheeks.

She did used to get the odd spot but now she has a cluster of them - red spots with yellow head.

I presume it is caused by hormones - she is developing fast.

My question is does anyone recommend anything to help them with - she uses a tea tree face wash presently.

Thanks.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Cutting down or cutting out dairy products (especially milk and butter) may help. I think it is the hormones in the milk that exacerbate the problem.

(Fairly sure I heard this on one of Dr Jessen's programmes on tv)
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's really acne and not just age related spots, she needs to see a doctor.

My son had terrible acne. Tried all the shop products and nothing helped him. The doctor tried him on all the antibiotics and no results. Got him referred to the dermatologist who prescribed Acutane. He was on it for roughly a year. Cleared up his skin and he has a few pitting scars. Seven years later his skin is still wonderful.

The thing is Acutane has had some bad press. When prescribe, monitored and used properly it's a life saver. My son was required to have regular blood work and see the dermatologist every six weeks for the first few months. His mood never altered. Girls have to either be on the pill or non-sexually active as pregnancy can not be chanced on this med. And yes, I know you have a 10 year old.

But do your research. If in a few years, Acutane is the best option don't walk away from it. My son told me he should have went on it sooner! But you can't talk a teenager into anything. A friend who is a pharmacist told me if his child ever had severe acne he'd go for the Acutane over all the antibiotics GPs will try.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    avogadro wrote: »
    Cutting down or cutting out dairy products (especially milk and butter) may help. I think it is the hormones in the milk that exacerbate the problem.

(Fairly sure I heard this on one of Dr Jessen's programmes on tv)

I had heard switching to organic milk - for the calcium without the hormones.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Food had been completely debunked and is not a reason that has any credit these days.

If it is bad enough then go to the doctors and get an appropriate prescription. I did in my youth, though fortunatly it was just on my back and not on my face. it worked great.
  • Acne is starting younger. It would be a good idea to speak to an understanding gp. There are loads of creams that may help. Each child is different and many different treatments are available, it is best to let you gp guide you.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2017 at 9:12AM
    As a family with experience of Roacutane (Isotretinoin) - although it can work wonders - it is very much a last resort 'nuclear' option and it is hard work to take and can impact significantly on health - you must be fully aware of its side effects before you go down that route. Girls have to enrol on a pregnancy prevention programme and take the 'full fat' pill (not the mini pill) and have monthly pregnancy tests regardless of whether they are sexually active. The side effects (cracked lips, hair loss, joint pain, fatigue to name a few)are hard work and I would not recommend anyone who is under 18 take it - but of course that's down to the consultants - this treatment is so strong, only consultant dermatologists can prescribe it, GP's can only make a referral. The medication was actually a cancer drug with an unexpected side effect of curing acne - the drug was modified to be used as an acne treatment but I can't overstate how challenging it can be to take despite its great results.

Acne and teenage spots are horrible if you suffer badly from them but my advice is as others have said, a sympathetic GP. Good skin care routine and skin hygiene and NOT PICKING or squeezing the spots. Plenty of exercise and fresh air and a good diet all help but sadly there is no silver bullet at her age. It will pass though.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Isotretinoin cannot be used in children under the age of 12 in the UK.

It is more likely teenage skin rather than acne.

A lot of people make the mistake of drying the skin out, but this actually traps dirt, so the skin does need to be well moisturised.

What skin type does she have?

What products is she using and how often?
  • wondercollie
    As a family with experience of Roacutane (Isotretinoin) - although it can work wonders - it is very much a last resort 'nuclear' option and it is hard work to take and can impact significantly on health - you must be fully aware of its side effects before you go down that route. Girls have to enrol on a pregnancy prevention programme and take the 'full fat' pill (not the mini pill) and have monthly pregnancy tests regardless of whether they are sexually active. The side effects (cracked lips, hair loss, joint pain, fatigue to name a few)are hard work and I would not recommend anyone who is under 18 take it - but of course that's down to the consultants - this treatment is so strong, only consultant dermatologists can prescribe it, GP's can only make a referral. The medication was actually a cancer drug with an unexpected side effect of curing acne - the drug was modified to be used as an acne treatment but I can't overstate how challenging it can be to take despite its great results.

Acne and teenage spots are horrible if you suffer badly from them but my advice is as others have said, a sympathetic GP. Good skin care routine and skin hygiene and NOT PICKING or squeezing the spots. Plenty of exercise and fresh air and a good diet all help but sadly there is no silver bullet at her age. It will pass though.

My son had only the dry lips and good lip salves were his salvation. None of my acquaintances children suffered any of the side effects you mentioned.

His dermatologist was wonderful, regular bloodwork and check ups on his moods.

The drug has been demonized in America. It truly can help when prescribed and used properly.

I mean who would have thought Thalidomide would ever be used again? But it is.
  • wondercollie
    edited 11 July 2017 at 9:27PM
    It's used here in Canada once everything else has been tried.

A friend that's a pharmacist said he would have no hesitation in having his child use it if the need arose.

The US market had done most of the demonizing. Several families sued the makers for wrongful death when their children committed suicide and they decided the Accutane was the cause.

Honestly, I worried about this as well but when my son was becoming withdrawn and we'd tried everything, our GP did the referral to a dermatologist. A lovely Dr who monitored my son on a regular basis. He calmed my fears over the US lawsuits.

He's been off the drug now for five years. His skin is still beautiful and clear. He had the nerve to tell me he wishes he'd gone on it sooner and not wound up with few acne pitting scars he has. Like you can tell a teenager anything. It turned out a few of his friends in Cadets were also on it at the same time, so he didn't feel so alone.

The thing that I found strange was that people use it and don't talk about it. My friend's daughter was on it the same time as my boy. Because her dermatologist required all female patients to be on birth control when using it and they are very RC they never discussed it until one day when I was picking up the prescription when out with my friend.
  • somegem
    somegem Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all for the replies.

She currently uses a tea tree face wash morning & night, I bought her a tea tree blemish stick which she has been applying after washing her face also (started this week)

As from monday just gone we have cut out (most) dairy products - I just thought we could give this a week & see if it helps - she usually drinks lots & lots of milk - loves the stuff. I am not sure though how long if it helps at all we would need to test this for.

If her skin hasn't settled down by next week I will get her a dr's appointment.

She doesn't seem to have greasy or dry skin, the spots are a mixture of yellow head spots & blackheads - very angry red looking, they are also spreading up to her hairline now (although she doesn't yet get greasy hair).

Thanks again for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport