Facing up to bankruptcy!.. need help!

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2017 at 9:25PM
    Hi don't want to sound judgemental or sound like an a...hole but how can you get £35000 of unsecured credit with an income of £1200 a month ?

That's not helpful. But my income is similar and I think the sum of the credit limits on my credit cards is more than that. The answer is 'easily'.

OP - you need to get on with your bankruptcy. What's the hold-up? You know you can pay on a card these days?
  • KJ2886
    KJ2886 Posts: 67
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I just dont have the money to pay for it yet :( ive filled in the forms online too!
    I went down the Stay/Set aside before I knew what route i was going down with a dmp or bankruptcy!
    Its getting the guts to do it as im so indecisive
  • Hi don't want to sound judgemental or sound like an a...hole

You didn't want to, but you did it anyway eh
    how can you get £35000 of unsecured credit with an income of £1200 a month ?

In my experience, you can get three quarters of that whilst unemployed. These creditors are throwing money at people and hoping for the best. I'm not trying to say who is in the right or wrong but multi million pound organisations are still in huge profits with many debtors filing bankruptcy.
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    Thats it! Ive done it! Submitted my application yesterday! Finally!
    Can't believe ive done it!

Not to wait for it to be approved and my phone call I think?
  • Dell2u
    Dell2u Posts: 39
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck. I am in similar position, gambling debt, trying to hide stuff from family so will be interested to hear how you get on.
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    Thank you, good luck to you too! Ill be so glad when this is all over with!

Im still so worred as i dont know if the high court enforcements can still come until my bankruptcy is confirmed / had my call etc...

the Stay on the writ ends thursday and my sister is coming friday night for the weekend and as no one knows about any of this im just scared the enforcement people can still come round
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    It normally takes a couple of (working) days for the application to be approved, so with it being submitted on a Saturday I expect it will be approved either today/tomorrow.

I believe that because the application for the bankruptcy has been made, the HCEO should not be able to do anything, someone else will be able to confirm though.

Hope everything goes ok for you.
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    edited 3 July 2017 at 12:01PM
    Edit: Just this min got my email saying my bankruptcy has been approved!
    Maybe I should send that to the high court enforcement now I have the files?

Thanks I did put the court reference number on my bankruptcy but had no address for the claiment to put down
    I rang the court and they said usually once the bankruptcy application is confirmed they should contact the court who would contact the enforcement people
    wondering if I should let them know myself as would be quicker (plus dont want them round when family are staying)
    Its just all been so bad timing!

The court also said its worth still going on thursday to defend and get it set aside even if declaring yourself bankrupt
    Just so scary!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    KJ2886 wrote: »
    Edit: Just this min got my email saying my bankruptcy has been approved!
    Maybe I should send that to the high court enforcement now I have the files?

The court also said its worth still going on thursday to defend and get it set aside even if declaring yourself bankrupt!

Yes to both of those

Well done
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    I got the judgment set aside
    I now have 3 weeks to submit a written defence and to tell the official reciever (when I hear from them) about the set aside and about going for a defence
    Then its up to the claimant if they pursue someone whos bankrupt

As its included in my bankruptcy it wont effect me if its not held up my defence will it if they still pursue it? they would just get their share if I get an IPA wouldnt they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure