We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

pump to store water

Options
Hello
Would like to pump water from a small stream to a water butt,for irrigating garden.
Need to pump water to a height of maximum 4 metre(top of water butt).
What specifics should I look at the pump to achieve above aim.
Can it be run with solar energy(I have seen few garden pond features with solar powered fountains)

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You will need a pump that will lift water at least 5m, and preferably a little more.

I stand to be corrected, but I think that would be a big ask for a consumer-type solar powered pump. You would probably be cheaper going for a mains powered unit, remembering the rules for outdoor electricity supply.

A stream will be full of things likely to block the inlet filter, so something you can switch on, get the job done quickly and switch off again is probably best anyway.
  • 11fernsroad
    11fernsroad Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    You will need a pump that will lift water at least 5m, and preferably a little more.

I stand to be corrected, but I think that would be a big ask for a consumer-type solar powered pump. You would probably be cheaper going for a mains powered unit, remembering the rules for outdoor electricity supply.

A stream will be full of things likely to block the inlet filter, so something you can switch on, get the job done quickly and switch off again is probably best anyway.

Many Thanks
    to get 4-5 metre water lift,what would be the power/watt needed for such a pump?
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Something like this - https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/051016044/

So long as you land ownership includes the stream, you can take 20 cubic meters of water per day without a license.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watching with some interest, as I intend to do the same.

Remember that the lift doesn't allow for the increased resistance of a long horizontal pipe as well. I know you can run these pumps from inside a large bucket, which you sink. Helps avoid large debris.

There are solar kits on ebay, but I haven't checked them out, and agree they'd probably lack the needed power.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many Thanks
    to get 4-5 metre water lift,what would be the power/watt needed for such a pump?

What flow rate do you need? Power is proportional to pressure times flow rate, so you can get a 5 metre head from any size pump if the flow rate is low enough.
  • Justagardener
    Options
    Have a look at bilge pumps...they are made for boats/yachts so can cope with the height required and small debris and will run off an old car battery if electricity feed is a problem. I have used Rule bilge pumps in the past.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How far away is the stream from the butt? Does the butt, have any other source of water supply? How deep is the stream?

Just wonder, why not use a bucket?

How many butts do you have? I have four at the back of the garage. The garage drain-pipe feeds butt one, which overflows into butt two, when both full, transfer - by bucket, to butt four, which overflows into butt three.
    Currently, butt three & four are full, with one & two half full.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Camping shops have pumps with the right sort of head, and if it's a bit weedy, hang a bucket at the half-way height and use two pumps.
    If you put in a 1-way valve, you can dip the delivery tube to the bottom of the butt, rather than just poking over the brim ; and the head will then be about a metre less when the butt is empty.
    What sort of rate are you wanting ? You'll need a level switch to run it only at intervals, and a battery so that the solar power only needs to be the average.

Instead of solar, how about a wind-driven pump ? Either way, why not use a long length of tubing to make an Archimedes screw, then you can vary the rate, and hence run it continuously.
    hxxp://www.primaryscience.ie/media/pdfs/col/engineers_ireland_design_and_make_a_water_pump.pdf

If the stream is flowing, why not power the pump from a waterwheel ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure