Reclaim Care Home Costs for Free- New MSE guide

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    there are still reporting mechanisms in place.
    No, he sold this site a few years back. Your posts will go unread and unheeded.
  • rubrenus
    rubrenus Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having successfully reclaimed nursing care costs I now want to claim personal allowance from the care home which was never paid. Does anyone know what the weekly rate was in 2004/2006 please? Or where I could get that information.
  • Success - finally after 4 years have received a letter from NHS Continuing Care detailing what they are prepared to re-repay us for my late father's time in a care home for the last years of his life. He passed away in Dec 2005 (coming up to 11 years). Certainly was worth the wait !!!!!
  • Hi There,

I have just stumbled across MSE's article on reclaiming care cost due to NHS not publicising that fact they could have paid for more fees.

All I am finding on here are for claims relevant to 2012. My grandfather was put in a home with Dementia and Parkinson's and was made to pay £900 a month in costs as he owned his own home and received an army pension.

Although the home couldn't be sold as my grandmother lived here, would he have still had to pay this amount?

I have spoken to Farley Dwek solicitors and they say we can still make a claim.

Does anyone know if I can put in a claim and who I would submit this to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    All I am finding on here are for claims relevant to 2012. My grandfather was put in a home with Dementia and Parkinson's and was made to pay £900 a month in costs as he owned his own home and received an army pension.

Although the home couldn't be sold as my grandmother lived here, would he have still had to pay this amount?

Are you sure that the value of the house was taken into account? It should have been completely disregarded as his wife was still living there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

I have just stumbled across MSE's article on reclaiming care cost due to NHS not publicising that fact they could have paid for more fees.

All I am finding on here are for claims relevant to 2012.
    The article (now archived) clearly states that claims had to be made by September 2012, so you are a little late.

Why are you approaching Solicitors? They will take a huge proportion of any refund you might be awarded.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    His £900 contribution would have been based purely on his income and personal savings, and the majority of the actual costs would have been met by the LA.

There is unlikely to be anything to be claimed in this case, and I certainly would not involve ambulance chasing claims companies even if there was.
  • The house may not have been assessed. I am just trying to understand why he would have to pay so much.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The house may not have been assessed. I am just trying to understand why he would have to pay so much.

£900 a month isn't a lot of money compared to the full cost a self-funder would pay.

AgeUK have several useful leaflets on how a person's contribution is worked out - £900 a month would probably have come from his pensions.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The house may not have been assessed. I am just trying to understand why he would have to pay so much.

It's not so much when he had both an army and state pension. My mother's only income is state pension topped up with pension credit. She also has £22,000 in savings which means she pays around £620 a month which is slightly more than the SP and PC she receives. The extra is based on the non existent interest she is assumed to receive on savings above £14,250 (£1 per week for every £250 of savings)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure