My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    gravvle wrote: »
    I am very annoyed. I spent ages on the phone last week with the Coop making sure that even though my NCD was just over 2 years old, they would accept the no claims. I sent of the confirmation document . Today I received an email stating that they can't insure me as the NCD was over 2 years. It was explained to them that I had been assured by the person representing the Coop that they would accept it.

They are now lookiing back at the records t see if I was misled, if so, they will refund all off the money. Trouble is, I bought the car on the strength of that policy I may have to pay more now and I'm not very happy about it. they should have to pay me compensation for the mess they've caused. I don't now what to do, but I want to complain about it.

Make a formal complaint and ask them to reinstate your policy and compensate you for the inconvenience/annoyance they are causing you. If unhappy with their response escalate to FOS to adjudicate at no cost to you.

Their website makes numerous references to NCD, saying it must be up to 3 years old.

Take screen prints for future reference should they deny it again.

eg: http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/helppages/car-quote/help-noclaims
    ...The expiry date of the last insurance must be no more than three years ago....
  • gravvle
    gravvle Posts: 11 Forumite
    The thing I don't understand is I spoke to the one you are quoting, but they are saying that they are Coop Eco and that's different. It seems like I thought I was insuring with one and got another.
  • Quentin
    edited 12 October 2013 at 1:54PM
    Coop eco is a different operation.

They are correct in telling you 2 years max. for that product.

My quote above showing 3 years max is regarding co-op insurance (cis):

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/carinsurance
  • gravvle
    They have just called me back and have accepted the fact that I was misled and will pay all moneys we have paid to them back- except they tried too make me pay for the the week I have had the cover.

Many raised voices and speaking to the manager has resulted in them giving us a full refund and we are insured until Tuesday. The woman on the other end of the phone was disgusting, she started shouting etc. I will never use that company again.
  • Quentin
    gravvle wrote: »
    ...I will never use that company again.

Maybe still worth going with them (not the eco product) if the quote is cost effective and you get to use your old NCD.
  • gravvle
    Quentin wrote: »
    Maybe still worth going with them (not the eco product) if the quote is cost effective and you get to use your old NCD.

No I have to start from zero and they recommended that I use another company.
  • Quentin
    But have you checked out the co-op website and what it says?

The eco product (provided by bisl) is different, and does have 2 years as its maximum age. (Though does say they will give up to 40% introductory discount if you have nil ncd)

As I quoted, co-op take it up to 3 years old.
  • gravvle
    Quentin wrote: »
    But have you checked out the co-op website and what it says?

The eco product (provided by bisl) is different, and does have 2 years as its maximum age. (Though does say they will give up to 40% introductory discount if you have nil ncd)

As I quoted, co-op take it up to 3 years old.

They did say on the phone that I could use my no clailms, it was discussed in depth and they admit that I was misled. I'm trying the other coop now.
  • gravvle
    Just phoned the other coop to check the no claims situation. Despite having a proof of no claims discount from my other insurer, who by the way siad they would insure including the no claims, but it was too expensive, the other coop said I had to check with the previous insurance company to see if my no claims was live for two or 3 years. So what it says on their website is a load of &&&@@@. I can go ahead with the insurance but if their underwriters think there is a problem they will cancel the insurance.

Its about time these insurance cmpanies were regulated, they will say it can't be done because its a free market. Well it isn't. We legally have to have car insurance and we are at the mercy of these money- grabbing companies! There should be a flat line insurance fee for basic cover, then they can scrap over the whistles and bells.
  • Quentin
    Whoever you spoke to mislead you.

The issuing insurer cannot determine whether or not it's only valid for 2 years.

The coop website states 3 years.

Why not just do an online quote and if its acceptable take it from there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback