My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So this was correct when posted in 2010 ??

You need to check dates before replying. I presume you found it through a google search?

Which seems to give you the ancient posts near the top of the list.

Done it myself, Typed up a long winded answer then spotted the date.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Hi I know this is an old thread but its helped me!

I called all the recommended insurance companies as recommended on here and other sites, my NCB expired 2.5 yeas ago
    (as haven't had a car)
    Aviva -no
    axa -no
    directline -no

anyway only the co op accept expired NCB so over 2 years but under 3 years, (haven't got a quote yet as my brain hurts will do tomo)

Also the broker Adrian Flux found 1 company - the quote was roughly the same as if I had 0 years NCB BUT after a year with them I get my 6 years plus the year I had with them NCB back and ready to play with
    :j

I hope this helps others as its Friday night and i've spent ages researching this!
    now its time for a drink!:beer:
  • Has anyone recently taken out car insurance with Adrian Flux as my NCB is 2.2 years! 2 months over which most insurers say will become invalid?
  • Liverpool Victoria.

I used Liverpool Victoria for more than 8 years until last April 2012 when my car finally packed up. It was an old Mercedes E220. I never quibbled over increases and always paid on time. Since then I have been using my partner's car as a named driver.

I saved up and I phoned up Liverpool Victoria to get a quote for insurance on a newer Mercedes E220 (8 years old) today. They said my no claims bonus is no longer valid after 18 months and would not even insure me. None of my details (for example claims, or penalty points) have changed.

I just don't understand and feel slighted by Liverpool Victoria. Who should I phone now? Many thanks in advance.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Most insurers will accept ncd up to 2 years old, so you should have no problems trying others.
  • My NCD was three weeks over the two year expiry date... I searched everywhere (including this forum) and found Co-op (as mentioned by Spamantone - thank you!) was the only company who would officially accept my NCD (bearing in mind it was 3 - yes that's THREE - weeks out of date). Aviva said no, Admiral and Sheila's Wheels said no, some of the budget insurers said no. Here's the scoop on the unofficial yes's I got:

Diamond - happy to accept it (didn't follow this through as they weren't as cheap as Axa but they were cheaper than Co-op)

Axa (who my last policy was with - via a broker) said yes as it was within a month. I did the 'confused.com' comparison, then went to their website via TopCashback and a fully comp policy came out almost as cheap as the cheapest budget insurer for third party fire & theft. Actually ended up being cheaper on Axa'a site than the Confused quote.

Definitely need to persist with comparison sites and for the NCD thing - be willing to make calls, not just a few either.

I got a sense that the big insurers are hungrier for business, or just a bit more flexible for some reason.
  • Thanks for your help.
  • Marjorie_Daw
    Marjorie_Daw Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 30 September 2013 at 1:44PM
    Thanks for your help.

Interestingly, the staff at Liverpool Victoria seemed disappointed when I rang them for my proof of no claims document.

Then I was told, by three different people at LV, that a lapse of one year, two years or three years was acceptable. So a lack of training there.

I had no trouble at all getting insured elsewhere (and cheaper) in the end.
  • gravvle
    gravvle Posts: 11 Forumite
    I am very annoyed. I spent ages on the phone last week with the Coop making sure that even though my NCD was just over 2 years old, they would accept the no claims. I sent of the confirmation document . Today I received an email stating that they can't insure me as the NCD was over 2 years. It was explained to them that I had been assured by the person representing the Coop that they would accept it.

They are now lookiing back at the records t see if I was misled, if so, they will refund all off the money. Trouble is, I bought the car on the strength of that policy I may have to pay more now and I'm not very happy about it. they should have to pay me compensation for the mess they've caused. I don't now what to do, but I want to complain about it.
  • gravvle
    gravvle Posts: 11 Forumite
    None of the insurance companies I've looked at since are accepting more than 2 years.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback