PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Money Saving Expert / CAB pilot service

Comments

• Great idea. I'm afraid that all too often replies on the Forum are from know-alls who can be very caustic.
  • Hi all

As the CAB National Rep said last week we've been looking into whether to split the CAB board into four sub-boards, one for each of the current areas CAB covers.

The current plan is to make the changes later this week and hopefully you’ll then be able to see more easily which topics are covered and which aren't, as well as helping the bureaux find questions more easily.

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I'd realised that the proposal for 4 sub-boards had come from a long established and respected MSE member I might have been more enthusiastic about it - having now seen the full suggestion I agree with what zzzLaisyDaisy has said. However, there is still an issue with the time taken to respond, even more so if the first reply has to come from CAB. I do think there is some benefit to ensuring that the OP gets an official reply, but the delay may be a lot longer than on the standard boards, where most questions start to get answers within a few hours. Perhaps it might be worth pointing out to new posters that there are other boards where they could post, but to be aware that any replies will be unofficial.

On an aside, I see the split has indeed stopped off-topic posts, which is good, but also seems to have cut down on the number of posts altogether, with only 4 new threads started today so far.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks, I appreciate your comments agrinnall. However I would like to make it clear that I do not believe that this CAB Board is fit for purpose.

In my view, the two biggest problems are
    a) the slow response times by the CAB representatives; and
    b) the fact that anyone can post on the CAB board, which is misleading and, in my view, defeats the object of having a separate CAB board.

Posters are led to believe that they will get advice from the CAB, In fact anyone and everyone can post replies, regardless of whether they have any real knowledge of the subject (an example can be found on the employment thread, where incorrect advice has been given about holiday entitlement in relation to sick leave).

In my view a two working day response time from CAB is too slow (and there is at least one query that was posted 5 working days ago which has still not had a CAB response). This leads to other MSE'rs jumping in and trying to help, when in fact (in my view) the poster should be re-directed to the other MSE boards if they need a faster response.

Further the fundamental ethos of the CAB is to be non-judgemental, and that is not always adhered to by some MSE posters.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • I think if I had a complex problem I would post it on the CAB part of the forum AND on the open forum.

The CAB, in self protection, has to pass the "Caesar's wife" test and cannot get involved in "political" or "street wise" or "inter personal" advice (of the "it worked for me" type) depending on the "morality" of the situation.

I think I am now persuaded that the CAB forum should be the province of CAB experts.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101207091032AAEGy7b
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    Forumite
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    As suggested, yes I believe the usual indemnity insurance does apply in the same way that it would for someone going to a bureau so posters can reasonably rely on (and act on) responses. If anyone has concerns on the advice given please fill in the feedback from linked in the top post on this thread.
    MSE Wendy

See, this is what concerns me.

MSE is saying that posters can rely on and act on the advice given on this board as it is covered by the usual CAB indemnity insurance.

Is that really the case?

So a newbie finds their way to the CAB board via an internet search, and asks a complex question about employment law. Lets say well meaning MSE'rs give an answer without realising the law has changed (employment law is going through a rapid series of changes, and it is only too easy to get it wrong). So the poster goes away and acts on the incorrect advice. Is MSE covered by indemnity insurance for that incorrect advice?

Or is is only the CAB reps who are covered by the indemnity policy?

I am frankly surprised that neither MSE nor CAB seem to be concerned about this potential for confusion - and potential litigation.

NOTE - I use employment law as it is something I know a bit about, but I am assuming the same concerns apply to benefits, housing and debt related queries.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have to agree with zzzLazyDaisy.

This is not intended to be disrespectful to any of the CAB reps.

In my opinion, in most cases, this type of forum is entirely unsuitable for advice from a CAB representative.

This is verified by the many answers to threads to 'take their paperwork to their local CAB for individual help.' Because of the lack of information given by posters, plus the inablity to verify paperwork (contracts etc) the advice given by CAB can only be general advice.

The beauty of the other forums is the ability to ask questions of the poster to verify information and to gain further details. This is not possible on the CAB forum because of the delay in answering.

I do not believe that many of the answers given by CAB could not have been given by the many knowledgeable people on other forums.

The wealth of knowledge now available on the internet means that most people can find answers by spending a little time searching for information.

I absolutely believe that CAB should be used for people with complex problems and for those who need to be signposted to local resources but this cannot be done through a forum such as this.

However, I do respect the fact that CAB reps are entirely non judgemental and people might be reassured by what they see as 'professional advice'. I can understand people wishing to post on a CAB forum as many are experiencing great difficulty getting to see CAB advisors in their local area.

So, if this forum is to continue I would prefer it to remain 'closed' to everyone else.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    Forumite
    edited 25 November 2012 at 10:29AM
    Where do we raise concerns about a CAB response if we believe it is incorrect?

I don't frequent the benefits board much as it is not my area, but in a recent reply to someone with children who is about to be made redundant after 12 years service, and asking about benefits the poster was told that if her husband is earning she may not be entitled to JSA - surely this is incorrect as she would get contribution based JSA for 6 months? She was also told that she should apply for child benefit (surely she would have done this when her children were born) but that she may have to pay extra income tax (???). Maybe it was just the way the response was worded, but I found the reply totally confusing.

Edit: this was post 87 on the multiple questions thread on the CAB benefits board
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Where do we raise concerns about a CAB response if we believe it is incorrect?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well as I'm fairly sure that an incorrect response has been given regarding the calculation of HB after the application of the "bedroom tax". I enquired on the thread but no answer as yet.
  • cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/aboutus/complaints_policy/complaints_procedure.htm

under stage three it gives the methods/contact details to make a complaint.

for what its worth, I feel the CAB board should be locked so that only CAB advisers can respond. Off duty advisers are not covered by the insurance for incorrect advice
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family