DRO Help needed please.

Options
Hiya,

I'm currently on ESA because of my health and I have 5k in debts. I'm looking into a DRO

I have less than £50 a month left.

I asked about it to stepchange last year but they said because so had a park account to pay for Christmas I couldn't do it.

Do they take your bank statements? Do I need to cancel netflix? I'm also stuck paying for 3 mobile phones. (2 for my 2 son's that ex H was supposed to pay for but stopped) will that affect it?

I can't stop paying them as it's another knock at the door :(

If they do ask for bank statements how far back do they ask for?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

You would need to be assessed for this and follow the requests of that organisation/ intermediary. We would ask for one full month's bank statement, dated within the last 3 months to check the transactions. Netflix shouldn't be a problem and the phone's may not be an issue, but we would need to look at them more closely. We would need to look at things like, how much they cost, what sort of phones they are (are they top of the range, or lower in value) and how old are your son's. If they are under 18 then it is less likely to be an issue.

With regard to Park, we would need to look at how much you are saving per month, and how much you could potentially have saved by the end of the year. If you would save more than £1000 then it would disqualify you, so you could consider saving less per month to help you to qualify for a DRO. However, you also need to remember that the asset limit of £1000 is a combination of all assets, so this would include the phones and savings etc. and needs to be less than £1000 in total.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure