PPI Claims & Bankruptcy?

Options
Hoping someone can clarify this point for me.

I know that any PPI claims resulting from debts that were part of a bankruptcy are off limits because any compensation due will go to the Official Receiver.

However, what about claims against debts/loans that were not included in the BR?

For example I went BR in 2008. In 2002 I paid off an Egg credit card I had which had PPI on it.

Can I claim that compensation or does that also belong to the OR as it preceded my BR even though that debt wasn't part of my BR?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All your financial affairs up to the date of the order being made are no longer yours and are the responsibility and property of the OR. Like your house, car and other property of value being sold as part of the bankruptcy to pay your creditors, a PPI claim dated prior to the order would be an asset to be used to repay those you owed money to.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    All your financial affairs up to the date of the order being made are no longer yours and are the responsibility and property of the OR. Like your house, car and other property of value being sold as part of the bankruptcy to pay your creditors, a PPI claim dated prior to the order would be an asset to be used to repay those you owed money to.

Cheers Tarambor.

Guessed that would be the case but was checking more out of hope than anything else!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure