2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Not posted for a while, not so much fallen off the wagon but this last fortnight things seem to have ground to a halt, I've been trying really hard as usual but not seeming to be getting anywhere with paying off my debts so got a bit disheartened for a couple of days. Nevertheless I've given myself a kick up the bum now and will continue on.

Hope you've all had a lovely sunny day like we've had here. Some of our friends are in Florida and they've been on facebook today saying it's raining and cold there - oops!

I've spent most of the day at my old rental property getting it ready to sell. Today I've managed to change the locks and do some tiling in the bathroom all by myself. Not only am I very proud of myself but I've also saved myself a lot of money on tradesmen. My mum came down and cleared a lot of rubbish from the garden so just a few more jobs to do and I'm hopeful we can get it on the market very soon.

We've had a massive Lidl open up right near the rental property so popped on the way home and got my weekly shopping and some charcoal and some nice bits of meat as we're hoping for a BBQ tomorrow. Still needed to pop to Mr T to get a few things that Lidl dont stock but saved a fair bit ( just a shame i cant shop there regularly as too far from my house to make it viable) All in all came in £2.19 under budget but I did get about £10 of YS meat from Mr T which I've frozen and will save me a fair bit over the coming weeks.

Also sorted and listed a load of stuff on the selling sites this week. Not had much interest which is annoying. Actually thought I'd sold my massive double pram which would have been brilliant firstly because it takes up so much room but the money would have come in handy. As it was we arranged a time for pick up but the girl didnt arrive, when I messaged her it turned out she'd come over an hour earlier than agreed (without messaging me or anything to tell me) and I didnt hear the door as wasnt expecting her so was upstairs in my office - I work from home. Apparently that was my fault though. I offered to deliver it to her but she refused every one of the options I offered her then finally said she was going out but I could leave it at the back of her house "if I really wanted to" but no mention of the money she was supposed to be giving me - erm I dont think so! I'm really annoyed actually as I dropped the price at her request and she was getting a blooming bargain. People like this only seem to exist on selling sites but there's so many of em that after a while you start to wonder if you are the one that's being unreasonable. Oh well nowt I can do I suppose but feels good to get it off my chest and have a little rant.

On a positive note all my veggie seeds have sprouted so barring bug attacks or disasters I should have potatoes, onions, beans, peas and garlic at least - along with various herbs. I also have raspberry canes and rhubarb doing well though I wont get fruit this year. This is the furthest I've ever got with growing my own stuff so feeling quite positive and hoping it continues to thrive - no more cat droppings either since someone on here advised me on how to repel the little darlings from my garden.

Hey ho thinks thats quite enough for tonight. Will try to check in more regularly again to keep myself motivated. Night all!
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Dry weather here so no time to post updates until all our trees are planted and planting done. Frugaldom is taking shape. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • shish100
    shish100 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning
    I hope the sun is shining where you are? It is making an effort - so the washing machine is on :)

Not posted for a while, trying to exercise my new powers of frugality whilst I was away in the campervan! It was a great few days away over the bank holiday, and we made the most of the weather. We couldn't resist a couple of ice-creams over the weekend as it was so hot, and a nice cold beer at the mid-point of the hike. Otherwise we were self-sufficient in the van for food.

We then had a family visitor this week for a few days. This is always harder to manage. I made sure that we all had a drink and some food with us everyday that we went out. Also had a nice big breakfast to power us through the day :)
    Although by the time parking has been paid, then there is the coffee and cake(!), things start to add up rather quickly. This is before we have paid an entrance fairs to any attractions.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had a terrible spending week this week so the belt has got to be tightened!

Still because the sun is out I have washing on the line and no need for heating.

Always good to see the positive :)
  • Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Seven NSD so far this month which for me is very good. Ive set myself a little challenge. To buy outfits from a charity shop, to buy gifts from charity shops and to buy in bulk for some things. Hopefully I can save a bit of money doing this. Im not in any debt, I dont drive and I have an emergency back up but I want to be able to save for my future, if that makes any sense.
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Frugaldom, I didn't know you were a hedge fund manager!

:D Yes, I have been managing hedge funds for the past 4 years and hoping to reap the benefits from this year or next. :rotfl: I've just finished planting more hawthorn and blackthorn (sloes) this morning and am going back out this afternoon to plant some field maples then help clear space that I hope to fill with a yurt! :D

Welcome to official frugaldom, Parsniphead! :beer:

• patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning everyone

Have been MIA for couple of weeks DH 60th so we been to New York to celebrate all budgeted for though and although food and drinks with tax and tips very expensive didn't go over budget I put money by every month for holidays which this covered back to saving now did monthly shop last night online coming later need to clean and get in garden today Glad to be back back to normal.
    Frugal challenge 2024

• mumof3.12kindebt
    mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've budgeted £10k for the rest of the year this is for everything.

Broken down below
    £1300 each month for all outgoings (X 7 months) £9100
    £200 for the kids christening
    £700 for everything else (days out, clothes, Xmas, birthdays school expenses etc)

This should be doable. But with 3 kids in tow we will see.
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Hi frugays and gals, how is everyone doing? Things here are ticking along with the new frugal cotage now let out to its first holidaymaker and the frugal breaks caravan bookings filling up for summer :)

The savings have taken several hits after I decided that I needed an electric shower installed at the cottage and that meant tiling the walls right to the top. Then, as it's an over bath shower, I'd to get a glass shower screen, as I hate getting entangled in wet shower curtains. And, of course, all of this meant new wiring, fuse box and isolation switch, so an expensive exercise. Looks good finished, though. (I alsi replaced the toilet and got new taps for the bath and sink.) Now that there's a water meter, it seemed the right thing to do.

I have spinach beet in abundance, hens and ducks are laying and I am really hoping that I can afford to get a propert polytunnel soon. I keep delaying this, though, as we have no running water at the project and everything in a polytunnel would need watered. Hmm...

Spent the weekend clearing out rubbish and stacking up the manure heap, which is going to be next year's 'food bank'. On an even more positive note, Frugaldom was successful in its application for more trees, courtesy of the Woodland Trust, sponsorship of Sainsbury's, layers of the People's Postcode Lottery, Ikea, Yorkshire Tea and funding from DEFRA. We have been awarded another 420 baby trees for planting in November. :) With a mix of hazel, blackthorn (sloes), crab apple, dog rose (rosehips), elder and rowan, these will get panted to form a 'hedgerow jelly row'. Foraging for the future :)

• shish100
    shish100 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Starting to panic a bit, I have been making progress at changing habits and monitoring spend. However OH has announced he wants to quit work to focus on starting his own business. I know this is possible and I fully support him. I just feel like now I need to really need to knuckle down and give it that last bit of effort.

- About once a week I fall off the wagon at work and buy lunch or a snack. Need to be better prepared and stronger will-power
    - Need to change to a water meter - OH doesn't think this is a good idea, but I have looked at apps and done research. I might just do it and not say anything.
    - About once a month we have a takeaway/eat out, need to stop this.
    - Need to get a few more vegetables planted in the garden.
    - I can miss a haircut and find a cheaper place for next time.
    - continue with meal plans. This has helped a lot.
    - already use my freezer effectively with over-cooking so there are ready meals.
    - started making Christmas presents for family on the sewing machine.

Does anyone have any inspiration / pearls of wisdom.
    You have all helped inspire me so far and to keep up with the changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure