Car Insuarnce + Excess Reducer Policy

Options
Hi, I just renewed my car insurance with One Call. My experience has been OK so far.

I have an old car, only drive up to 3500 miles a year so, in order to try to reduce the premium even further, I opted for £250 vol excess...total of £350 excess.

One Call phoned today to ask if I'd received my policy docs -- I hadnt because they'd sent them to the wrong email address and then the 'operative' asked why I had increased my excess by so much.
I told her my reasons and she said I'd be better to reduce it.

She caught me at a difficult point in my day and I agreed and went along with it and then realised I'd been charged £55 for a 'Excess Reducer Policy' which takes away the vol excess but will cover me for the full £350 if I have an accident with an uninsured driver (which did happen to me about 15 years ago and cost me dearly -- as well as nearly getting killed by the idiot !).

Im not sure I really understand the point of the excess reducer policy in my situation-- as far as I was concerned, Id got my premium down to £199 by increasing the vol. excess and now I'm charged £55 as insurance against having to pay out that much.

Waying up the risks of being a driver over 60 with over 40 years driving experience, driving less than 3500 miles a year in an old car I'm not sure that's worth another £55.

Am I being thick or have I been sold a 'pup'...I have a 14 day cooling off period

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends how much excess your willing to pay if you need to claim.

There are terms with the policies though, if your excess is £350 and the bill comes to £349 then the other policy possibly wont payout anything.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure