PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Guide for conducting a viewing?

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Work out your route .... ending in "the best room".

At the end of the viewing you'll be standing there having that final chat and they'll be looking round, so make it the best room or similar .... and not the room with the damp patch in the corner and the crack on the ceiling.

:)

You need to whip them past the grotty bits .... and let them linger in the better bits.

Find out first what they plan to do with it.... no point whittering on about "top school round the corner" if it's a single bloke of 60 who was more interested in the size of your shed for his whippets. If you know what they've got in mind you can toss in some good points to fit that.

e.g. "We love sailing and the club's round the corner". Point out: "The struts in the garage roof are ideal for storing all those extra sailing accessories out of season"
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    - Don't lie or be evasive (it is better for sale to fail early, than later on)
    - Decide if you want people to take their shoes off!
    - If you have kids, make sure they are out the house (it is really difficult viewing houses when the seller is trying to look after their children)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Relax!

Many, many moons ago my parents were selling their house. A viewing turned up on a day that they were both working. They asked me ((then 18?) if I'd do it for them. I didn't know that much about the house, I wasn't under pressure and I was light hearted.

They bought the house and told my parents that the way the viewing was conducted helped them to that decision!
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Relax!

Many, many moons ago my parents were selling their house. A viewing turned up on a day that they were both working. They asked me ((then 18?) if I'd do it for them. I didn't know that much about the house, I wasn't under pressure and I was light hearted.

They bought the house and told my parents that the way the viewing was conducted helped them to that decision!

How close are you to Glasgow? And are you busy over the next few weeks?

;-)
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    Options
    Although it's not a guide per se, I did find this very interesting thread, courtesy of Mumsnet.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1513267-any-tips-on-doing-your-own-viewings-What-do-you-look-for-as-a-buyer

I found one of the posts very interesting (see my comments in bold!):

"During viewings, all windows should be slightly open and all internal doors closed. Should all be closed in photographs

Loo seats down, loo paper hotel-folded

No loo brush

No doormats

No tablecloths

No evidence of pets

Cupboards clean on the inside and the fridge should be spotless and only sparsely stocked Huh?
    I'd never expect a viewer to look inside my fridge!

Hang a designer dress or coat on the back of bedroom doors during viewings

Remove family photos on tables for photography but re-instate them during viewings

All books and DVDs should align with the edge of bookshelves

Coffee table clear during photographs but staged during viewings

There should always be a smart invitation on the mantelpiece (the stager used mock-ups!)

A bottle of champagne should be in the fridge, especially if it's integrated into the kitchen units

The dishwasher must be empty Yikes, again something I'd never have thought of. Guess I need to learn how to wash dishes!

Every large house should have evidence of children, even if no children live there"

Of course they missed the most important one (courtesy of my brother): "Make sure there are no skid marks in the toilet bowl" Priceless!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    "During viewings, all windows should be slightly open and all internal doors closed."

Why closed? You'll just need to open them again! Think it helps to make the place look more spacious / brighter if doors are open.

I'd never expect a viewer to look inside my fridge!
    Oh, they will. To be fair, if you're including appliances it's not unreasonable to make a cursory check of what condition they're in. And otherwise how would they know that there's a bottle of champagne in the fridge.
    "Make sure there are no skid marks in the toilet bowl"
    ...but I've never had a viewer lift the lid to check that!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do not offer any negative comment about your own house, the area, the neighbours, etc. Only open your mouth to express a positive attribute or something factual.

Make sure the place is cleaned within an inch of its life. Make sure that anything the viewers are likely to handle or operate is in operational order. Door handles, kitchen cupboards, appliances, toilet (yes, someone WILL flush your toilet to "make sure it works"), wash basin, sink, etc.)

As was said, finish and have your summing-up discussion in your best room; for small rooms, leave them alone in the room rather than crowding in with them; offer some comment ABOUT each room to introduce it, rather than a bland "This is the bathroom", "Here's the kitchen" (if needs be, sit down in advance and make a script), such as "We decorated the kitchen last month" as you guide them in, or "The bathroom was refurbished last year"

Clear away anything of value that can easily disappear. Whilst you and your agent should have details of the viewers, there's no point in taking chances.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ceh209 wrote: »
    - Put lights on beforehand, especially if it's evenings and the lights are the type that take a while to warm up

as a buyer I do not want to see lights on, that to me means dark rooms. I would be asking for lights to go off
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    as a buyer I do not want to see lights on, that to me means dark rooms. I would be asking for lights to go off

Fine, as a viewer you can ask the owner to turn them off. But the seller should still put them all on before you arrive
  • dunroving
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    Do not offer any negative comment about your own house, the area, the neighbours, etc. Only open your mouth to express a positive attribute or something factual.

Make sure the place is cleaned within an inch of its life. Make sure that anything the viewers are likely to handle or operate is in operational order. Door handles, kitchen cupboards, appliances, toilet (yes, someone WILL flush your toilet to "make sure it works"), wash basin, sink, etc.)

As was said, finish and have your summing-up discussion in your best room; for small rooms, leave them alone in the room rather than crowding in with them; offer some comment ABOUT each room to introduce it, rather than a bland "This is the bathroom", "Here's the kitchen" (if needs be, sit down in advance and make a script), such as "We decorated the kitchen last month" as you guide them in, or "The bathroom was refurbished last year"

Clear away anything of value that can easily disappear. Whilst you and your agent should have details of the viewers, there's no point in taking chances.

I cannot wait to see the first viewer who tries the kitchen taps. The water pressure in this area is VERY good.
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport