Please help, store wont accept refund

I bought a Macbook pro from Argos and upon getting the item home discovered the screen starts flickering and is clearly defective. Took it back to Argos (different to closest one, only place that had in stock) miles away to be told unless I could prove an intermittent fault that they wouldn't do a thing about it. Took it to my closest one this morning and was told to call apple again and the I contacted Argos customer supports technical, who agreed on the phone it needs a replacement and got a ref number to take into store to get a replacement. They wouldn't even listen about the ref number and told me to f off.

What are my rights here, I know my contract is with the supplier who won't do a thing and that's wrong. I want a refund and if I go through apple its unlikely ill get one. In the future I advise anyone not to shop there as this whole experience has started making me ill.

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you proved there is a fault? You call them and tell them there is a fault they have to take you at your word as they cant see it so naturally they will say take it back.

You take it back but now someone else is saying there is no fault go away. You now need to prove the fault exists before you have rights.

How long does the fault take to manifest? Just leave it running in store until it happens and show the Argos staff.
  • wolf734
    wolf734 Posts: 10 Forumite
    It's every half hour or so but only on movies. Apple want me to return it to them. Argos tell me to take it back to them, why should i prove that a £1300 laptop was faulty the day I got it just to stop them from wrigling out of there duty. They told to go to apple because they aren't prepared to deal with it.
  • Dash_r
    Dash_r Posts: 20 Forumite
    You need to prove it so they can rule out the possibility that you've just changed your mind about wanting the Mac. There needs to be a legitimate reason for the refund.
  • wolf734
    i did provce the fault (a big black spot in the middle of the screen at the time), manager ruled it wasnt faulty/.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wolf734 wrote: »
    i did provce the fault (a big black spot in the middle of the screen at the time), manager ruled it wasnt faulty/.
    Then you need to counter that manager's decision.

Or try another store.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's every half hour or so but only on movies.

What sort of movies ??
    I have one or two movies that show similar errors but its the coding of the movies .
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 6:52PM
    I bought a Macbook pro from Argos and upon getting the item home discovered the screen starts flickering and is clearly defective.
    i did prove the fault (a big black spot in the middle of the screen at the time), manager ruled it wasn't faulty/.

so OP look at your 2 comments above, you start by saying it is flickers screen and then you say it has a black spot in the middle of the screen.

so which is it

also last time i checked Argos Managers are not Apple techs to say it has a fault or not. if Argos were to take it in for a repair then they would send it to Apple, so you could just take it to apple yourself
  • wolf734
    both but mainly the flickering, also happens on games. The graphics card is defective (look it up).
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    both but mainly the flickering, also happens on games. The graphics card is defective (look it up).
    take it to an Apple store as i assume it still under warranty and they will sort it out
  • wolf734
    I should not have to, its an inconvenience (30 miles away), I have a contract with Argos not Apple. I want whats rightfully mine by the law and their own returns policy. guess ill just get it repaired by apple and get a refund through court / insurance. Thanks for the non-existent help guys, much appreciated. Also why the hell would I want a refund for an item that I claimed on the insurance for and got sent vouchers, I could have had anything else over a week ago and not be in this mess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure