Advice from my bank manager has lowered my credit score

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The 25 year old account won't be set up to report.

It also won't make any difference. It's only a current account.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The 25 year old account won't be set up to report.
    I think someone reported recently they were able to get their bank to start reporting 'white data' for a pre-1998 current account.
    It also won't make any difference. It's only a current account.
    I agree for a mortgage application (because they'll just ask to see statements and there's far more underwriter involvement), but for a loan or credit card I would have thought it could make a difference...certainly in terms of an auto-accept? Having said that, I seem to remember you work, or did work, in this line of work...so I bow to your insider knowledge. :)
  • Jimmy_Boy
    Jimmy_Boy Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    but for a loan or credit card I would have thought it could make a difference...certainly in terms of an auto-accept?

You just reminded me of something which I tried to get an answer to, but was unsuccessful.

Going back approx. 18 months, I used to have pre-approved loan offers of £27,000. In the past 18 months I have not really paid any attention to that part of my online banking, but when I checked in approx. January, it said there was no pre-approved offers available to me, due to "not knowing enough about my income and expenditure".

I tried to get an answer last month as to why I did previously had pre-approved offers, but no-longer did, and queried the language used of "not knowing enough about my income and expenditure", but bank manager did not know. Also tried on-line chat, but they also did not know.

Have just checked now, and for the first time in approx 6 months of checking I now have a pre-approved offer of £10,400.

Should I read anything into this, or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Thanks.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    Going back approx. 18 months, I used to have pre-approved loan offers of £27,000.
    So the bank that receives your £23K salary and pays all your bills (and has done for 25 years) knows nothing about your financial circumstances? Very strange. As is the offer of a loan of more than your salary...unless it was much higher then?...say 3 times as high as it is now?
  • Jimmy_Boy
    This is what I found so confusing myself, how can they (my bank) not have enough information about me as all my finances are run through them?!

No, my salary has not changed and I also remember thinking that it was an out-of-balance offer in relation to my salary, i.e. £27,000 seemed like just too much to be offering on a pre-approved loan, but that is what it used to be, have no screenshots of proof unfortunately.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 11 June 2017 at 5:36AM
    On the subject of old accounts, I have a 30+ year old pre-1988 current account with overdraft facility which is reported normally on my credit files and has been reported for as long as I have been checking my files. I have never taken action to get this account reported.
    I believe it would be beneficial to your credit files to try to get your account reported. The obvious benefits are that the age of the account will both show current account stability over a long period and increase the average age of your accounts which you say is very poor, and also show that you actually have a current account and are trusted with an overdraft facility. As it stands, any potential lender checking your credit files may draw the conclusion that you keep your money under a mattress. The existence of a good overdraft facility, especially if never used, can also give lenders an extra degree of confidence regarding your ability to make on time payments. Does this account actually have an overdraft facility? If it doesn't that is the obvious reason why it is not being reported. Try to get an overdraft facility and it may well start reporting automatically. If you already have an overdraft facility, talk to the bank and see what can be done to get the account reported. I don't quite understand how this new negative concerning the age of your accounts has come about because the closed accounts will not have disappeared from your credit files. They will still be there for the next six years as closed accounts with their ages still showing.
    I find it very strange that your bank was offering you a pre-approved unsecured loan for £27,000. This is a very high amount and somewhat disproportionate to the £2000 credit limit that you had on your one and only credit card. Of course, pre-approved probably means nothing of the sort but still the amount almost defies belief as does your claim that when you logged onto online banking it was actually written there that you were no longer pre-approved for a loan as they did not know enough about your income and expenditure. I have never previously come across an example of a bank stating a reason why a customer was not pre-approved for something.
    As to what you should read into the fact that you now once again have a pre-approved offer, albeit for a lower and far more realistic amount, is perhaps that the bank does now know enough about your income and expenditure. Are you sure this loan is actually pre-approved or does it say you are pre-approved to apply for a loan of up to the amount stated.
    Regarding the current use of your credit card. using the card and repaying in full every month is of course the best thing to do, but there is absolutely no need to repay it two days after the statement date (unless that is convenient for you of course). It would be more normal to set up a direct debit for the full balance and just let it go through on the payment due date. Your credit files will not show the date of payment. I would also suggest, if realistically possible, trying to get the original credit limit reinstated or at least increased to over £1000, preferably more.
  • Jimmy_Boy
    My current account DID have an overdraft (of £400) until my bank manager advised me to remove it last month.

I wish I took a screenshot of the text previously for the pre-approved offers, but it definitely said words to the affect of "Sorry, there are no pre-approved offers due to us not knowing enough about your income and expenditure."

The offer is under "Pre-selected offers", and this is a copy/paste of the wording now.

Barclayloan

You can apply to borrow up to £ 10,400.

Apply online between 7am and 11pm.

Apply online
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    My current account DID have an overdraft (of £400) until my bank manager advised me to remove it last month.

I wish I took a screenshot of the text previously for the pre-approved offers, but it definitely said words to the affect of "Sorry, there are no pre-approved offers due to us not knowing enough about your income and expenditure."

The offer is under "Pre-selected offers", and this is a copy/paste of the wording now.

Barclayloan

You can apply to borrow up to £ 10,400.

Apply online between 7am and 11pm.

Apply online

Why are you so het up about a potential loan offer which you never took up? It doesn't make one iota of difference.

Have you put in a complaint about the manager yet?

Can you come back with an update when you apply for your mortgage please?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jimmy_Boy
    edited 12 June 2017 at 9:54PM
    [double post]
  • Jimmy_Boy
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Why are you so het up about a potential loan offer which you never took up? It doesn't make one iota of difference.

More curious as to why at one point I did have a pre-approved offer which would be more than what I am currently going to need, then the fact that there was no approved offer's with the text "due to not knowing enough about your income and expenditure", and now having a pre-approved offer (after many months of no offers) of £10,400.

Just curious as to why, and if there would be any underlying issue's somewhere which triggered that change, and if so, what I would of needed to do to rectify that.

If you are more referring to why I said I wish I took a screenshot, the only reason for saying that is the implication that I got from one or two posts here was that I was not being fully forthcoming with the truth about it.
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    as does your claim that when you logged onto online banking it was actually written there that you were no longer pre-approved for a loan as they did not know enough about your income and expenditure. I have never previously come across an example of a bank stating a reason why a customer was not pre-approved for something.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport