Room rearranging, any ideas welcome. Full floorplans included in thread!

Options
ellie27
ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Below is a link to my house plan I have quickly made up (ground floor only, we have 3 bedrooms up the stairs)

We want a kitchen/diner with doors onto back garden (basically doors will be along back of kitchen where hob is in the pic)

Makes sense we knock through wall between dining room and kitchen and open up into the 'storage' cupboard too. Would this give us enough room?

Only thing is....... those stairs to get up to the bedrooms, stairs are in the dining room...... the bottom of stair starts at the bottom right corner of the dining room, top of stairs being directly above door into dining room.

Ideally I would want my stairs blocked off and not lead directly into my kitchen/diner but don't think there are may options..... my hallway above the stairs is pretty much just 1 square metre of floor with 3 doorways off - the smallest hall you can get!

I would be up for reconfiguring downstairs.

The 2 downstairs bedrooms are currently not used, just spare rooms.

There is a single garage, The dimensions of that on the plan are not accurate but probably not far off.

Thoughts recently have been....... convert garage and extend a bit at front to allow it to open into that back bedroom to create an L-shape, with glass doors on both back walls of the L onto back terrace.

We are going to get in touch with an architect this week to hope start the ball rolling but just thought I would put on here for any suggestions.

Many thanks!

https://planner5d.com/view/?key=a8a1a5cf6408e4ff6fa9f7694b76710c

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Is that the only bathroom?

could have access to upstairs through the guest room
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on all of your plans, as I'm not an architect - but, as a woman, you really need to block off the stairs from the kitchen/dining area to prevent cooking smells from floating into all the bedrooms!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    ellie27 wrote: »
    Thoughts recently have been....... convert garage and extend a bit at front to allow it to open into that back bedroom to create an L-shape, with glass doors on both back walls of the L onto back terrace

One house we looked at years ago had a corner door that opened out rather than 2 sets of doors.
  • ellie27
    Options
    Is that the only bathroom?

could have access to upstairs through the guest room

We have 2 ensuites upstairs.

Yes, we considered redirecting stairs down into the front bedroom but thought it would ruin the room a bit as its a lovely bay windowed room....
  • ellie27
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on all of your plans, as I'm not an architect - but, as a woman, you really need to block off the stairs from the kitchen/dining area to prevent cooking smells from floating into all the bedrooms!

My thoughts too!
  • ellie27
    Options
    We could block off the stairway completely at the bottom with wall/door. However you would still need to go through the kitchen/diner to get to the door opening to stairs to get up to bedrooms.

Would that be a bit weird? Guess its not any weirder than current situation!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't really work properly without an upstairs plan! I'd like to see if turning the stairs is a feasible option.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ellie27
    Options
    http://media.rightmove.co.uk/60k/59084/27985005/59084_212433_FLP_00_0000_max_600x600.jpg

Downstairs is accurate, upstairs is round the wrong way (to me!!)

When you arrive at the topstep upstairs Bed 1 is on your left, so bed 1 is directly above the lounge. 'Bed 5 and Bed 2' are directly on top of the dining room.

The stairs in the dining room....... the bottom step of the stairs start at the the window in the dining room (not in the middle of the wall in the dining room as it looks in the plan)
  • ellie27
    Options
    Full floor plans in post 9 above!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My first thought would be to shift the door of the guest room towards the front door and have the stairs starting somewhere near where the door is presently, then turning fully so the stairs still come up exactly where they do now.

Needs a joiner more than an architect.

I don't think you need an extension of any kind.

The stairs are very strange at present.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure