Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 1st Jan 11, 11:34 AM
    • 16,617Posts
    • 109,748Thanks
    gallygirl
    Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary
    • 1st Jan 11, 11:34 AM
    Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary 1st Jan 11 at 11:34 AM

Best I could come up with for a title . For those who haven't come across me before, HERE is my old diary. Hopefully I will keep this one to 2016 when I will be totally mortgage free

2011 challenges.

Mortgage #1
    19,546.15 Currently
    0 Target

Mortgages 2 & 3
    101,668.64 Currently
    94,803.11 Projected end of 2011
    90,000 Target (mortgages - savings)

BTL Mortgage on Late Mum's House
    27,056 Currently
    25,489.36 Projected end of 2011
    23,000 Target

In addition to that I have set myself some other goals. Some easy to measure, others a bit more subjective:
    1 June I will decorate the living room and buy new sofas
    2 August I will reach my target weight (the 'real' one, not the official one. I will get below 11 stone) and stay there
    3 August I will have no mortgage on my house
    4 August I will be fabulous at 50!!!!!
    5 October I will have a garden I am proud of
    6 December I will read 12 books off the BBC list
    7 Ongoing I will continue sell all possible things on ebay
    8 Ongoing I will start entering competitions again (& flog everything I win)
    9 Ongoing I will exercise for 30 mins at least once a week
    10 Ongoing I will meet up with friends at least once a month
    11 Ongoing I will continue loving life & thanking the Universe for all its' gifts

Here goes folks!

gg x
    Last edited by gallygirl; 03-01-2011 at 8:58 AM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Page 22
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 21st Apr 12, 5:01 PM
    • 7,645 Posts
    • 86,988 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Goodness GG, I feel quite weary now - you've been a busy woman. I suggest a severe beating for Mr GG on the IPad front.

After yet more rain today, I wish I was flying off to the sun in a while.

Haven't checked AF this week but will have a look over the next week or so.

Well done on getting <14k that's fab.

Tilly x
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 22nd Apr 12, 10:45 AM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Trying to do something energetic while I watch the marathon so emptied Peefer the mortgage pig. Only 17 in whole bags . How very dare he . These are the last 6 offerings (have put in Tues date as that is when I will go to PO). He got a good emptying of all silver last time so I guess that's why there's not so much this time. Have already got 6.50 in 50p's so should be a good haul next time.

29/01/2011 17.00
    22/03/2011 27.00
    30/07/2011 30.00
    25/10/2011 23.00
    04/01/2012 41.00
    24/04/2012 17.00

Peefer has been returned to his home on the microwave but I have turned his face to the wall so he knows he is in the bad books .

Off to bring down all ebay stuff. Must keep up the activity levels while marathon is on else I'll feel lazy .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Hurdler
    • By Hurdler 22nd Apr 12, 12:46 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 5,174 Thanks
    Hurdler
    I LOVE the fact piggy is in the dog house.
    You have a veritable menagerie!

Mortgage @ March 2008: 194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: 164,926; End Date: March 2033

MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 22nd Apr 12, 1:09 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I LOVE the fact piggy is in the dog house.
    You have a veritable menagerie!
    Originally posted by Hurdler
    He is a very NAUGHTY pig . He had better get his little trotter out and cough up more next time .

8 things listed on ebay, won't let me list any more , I thought there was only a limit on fee free, never mind, next weekish is another month as Scarlett (nearly) said, and I will have all swimwear listed for the May Bank Hol, so that will be fine . Have all descriptions written and piccies taken so ready to go .

Off to do some ironing , DS starting new job tomorrow so have volunteered to iron his shirts. This marathon watching is hard work, need to put some training in before next year and am seriously worried about my stamina levels pre-Olympics .
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 23rd Apr 12, 10:42 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    1.5lbs off .

No tax rebate yet .

Meal planning working, jacket pot tomorrow lunchtime and need to make tuna casserole for tomorrow night.

Osteopath & smear test tomorrow.

Don't you envy my rock'n'roll lifestyle
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 24th Apr 12, 8:22 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Osteopath cracked me back into shape . No smear as running 1/2 hour late so overlapped with osteopath, so I have that pleasure for another day .

Still no tax rebate

Menu planning working, tuna casserole made .

Bad news - not very nice .

Good news - there's plenty of it .

Decided today I had made a serious error in calculations as it's not possible to pay off 127k in 4yrs 4 months, with no help from Mr GG. YES IT IS. Went through figures in a couple of different ways and it IS doable. So that's me convinced. For a couple of months at least .

London tomorrow, late start and frothy coffee at station . Tuna casserole for lunch . Drinks later
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 27th Apr 12, 8:09 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Well, nice payment from DD so btl balance now 13,660 - dropped below 14 .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    900 paid, balance now 12,712 . Knocked 5 months off end date to June 16 - em, I don't think so .

Still no tax rebate .

Singing with choir on Sunday, outside .
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Apr 12, 9:52 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 36,766 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Good for you, a real financial challenge and no compromises made to the rock and roll lifestyle!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 28th Apr 12, 9:54 AM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Good for you, a real financial challenge and no compromises made to the rock and roll lifestyle!
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Eh, yes..................

Are you taking the p.................

Just had a practice in the kitchen
    Mortgage Balance = 0
  • pammyj74
    Didnt know you sang in a choir. I was looking into doing something like that when I watched that choir thing on TV but it put me off when I found out about the cost to join
    I keep starting a meal planner and then it fades as it comes to the day and we dont fancy having that for tea!

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ 82,377 Dec 13 ~ 29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 28th Apr 12, 2:36 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    100 a term Pammy, but hey, I'm worth it . I don't spend much on entertainment, anyway it is in my budget so that makes it 'free' . MK on a Thursday night if you fancy it

Meal plans are great Pammy, you should give it a go, especially as you don't like cooking - it makes it decision free. Batch cook and freeze. Go on missus, saves you a fortune .
    Mortgage Balance = 0
  • pammyj74
    MK is too far and plus kiddie care is a problem. 100!!!!! I dont think I like it that much lol Is it the rock choir you have joined?

I did do meal plan for a while and I should really batch cook as it would save me time when the kids have after school club as I am always rushing to cook something quick.
    Might start it next month (which is only a few days away )

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ 82,377 Dec 13 ~ 29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
    • Radish72
    • By Radish72 28th Apr 12, 9:35 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Radish72
    I keep dreaming about having a large freezer so I can batch cook again

How rock & roll is that
    Mortgage Aug12 165K, Apr18 34500
    OP's in 2017 3000 ish
    ISA challenge start 2017 3000/500 (16%)
    • Anna Glypta
    • By Anna Glypta 28th Apr 12, 9:38 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    Anna Glypta
    I keep dreaming about having a large freezer so I can batch cook again

How rock & roll is that
    Originally posted by Radish72
    I understand totally - just contemplating getting one for the shed, right now I'm trying to work out how to fit everything in - I think I'll be "borrowing" space in my Mum's freezer - one benefit from living next door to her!
    4 February 2014 - Mortgage Free

MFW14 no 67 - overpayment goal 6,200/6,200
    Save 12k in 2014 no 142 - savings goal 5,300/12,000
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 28th Apr 12, 10:38 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Planning on decorating spare room next weekend (how can there be a Bank Holiday which doesn't involve me going on holiday ). Already have the paint (but need to get that magic masking tape advertised on TV ).

Dark blue carpet, slightly faded in places blue curtains, thought I'd get a nice shabby chic style quilt set with blue in it and maybe matching curtains. Have looked everywhere - what a nightmare! Something wrong with all of them. Did see a nice set in Laura Ashley, although quilt set had white background, 'matching' curtains had cream , but they were marked at 40% off but should only have been 30% so didn't buy as a matter of principle . In the end have got a cheap quilt set for less than 9 in The Range and a 5 dye for curtains to cover up faded parts (hopefully ) . Curtains have been dyed, now washing excess out. so here's hoping . Need to get a few cushions/throws but happy with it, and really what was the point in spending a lot of money for a bed which is used around 12 times a year.

Once decorated will buy a few new pictures but they won't be dear so, as I have the paint, the whole room will be around 30 .

Trying to decide what other room to do, based on how much time/energy I'll realistically have left:
    1/5 - hall touch up
    Evens - bathroom
    7/1 - kitchen

Personally my money's on the kitchen, looks like a good bet to me .
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 29th Apr 12, 7:47 AM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 44,315 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi GG, well done on the cheap makeover, they did a whole spare room incl furniture for 50 on superscrimpers. I have bought lots of paint to do the twins room , but it has been sat in the conservatory as I just can't face picking my way through the 2 tonnes of stuff that needs clearing first, the messy watsits. Nothing more satisfying than when its all done though.
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/13,632 paid so far

Mortgage 36,193 3yrs 9 mths left. Total owed 47,059 plan to clear in 12 months
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 1st May 12, 10:17 PM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Still no tax rebate.

I have broken a tooth.

I have ants in the kitchen.

Favourite boots are wearing thin on soles. Adore them and want to keep them for ever so prepared to send them off to get repaired properly (if it ever gets too warm/dry to wear them ). Jones website, 50.

I have had better days.

Mortgage Balance = 0
  • curlygirl1971
    You might get a visit from the tooth fairy?
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 2nd May 12, 6:48 AM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    You might get a visit from the tooth fairy?
    Originally posted by curlygirl1971
    No

Though as I'm on my own that would have been a bit scary if I had
    Mortgage Balance = 0
  • hypno06
    Def worth the investment to get the boots sorted though. It is heartbreaking once you find your best-loved cannot be repaired any more!

As for the ants, well as long as they are not in your pants, it could be a whole lot worse.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,366Posts Today

8,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin