Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 10:35 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 17th Jun 08, 10:35 AM
    Home Insurance Discussion 17th Jun 08 at 10:35 AM

This discussion relates to the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

If you've reduced the amount of your home insurance with cashback please report your success to encourage others
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Page 31
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 18th Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cairndog
    Accommodation Costs for Buidings Insurance
    Do the sums: you have insured for 30 years at a cost of (lets say) £150 pa. If you had to replace all of your contents, would it cost you more than 30 x £150? If so, then your insurance is worthwhile.

You can do the same with buildings insurance... but don't forget that would need to include the cost of accommodation for about a year while the house is first argued over and then rebuilt!

Originally posted by sarahemmm

So how much would I need to add on to the ABI rebuilding estimate for Accommodation for 2 retired people in Kent.
    This seems complicated to work out. The actual house is in a rural location but the accommodation could be anywhere within reach I imagine?
    • Tradeyman
    • By Tradeyman 22nd Sep 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tradeyman
    Comparison site feedback
    Large saving from quoted Tesco Policy Renewal for Home Insurance, using comparisons in suggested order by MSE, Money Supermarket best for me, and I like the control you get over future contact (ie you have to opt in).
    • N112NR
    • By N112NR 29th Oct 18, 9:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    N112NR
    Solar panels - extra cost
    We were getting a quote for our home insurance, when we noticed that we were under a different category due to the fact that we installed solar panels. How do we factor this into the FIT? how much should we keep on paying for doing the right thing?
    • Fonque
    • By Fonque 24th Nov 18, 10:06 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Fonque
    I took out Contents Insurance with LV last year for £51.65
    This year they wanted to renew and put up the price to £67.30.
    I am now with Admiral for a slightly better cover and a cheaper price £44.58
    Do not make any sudden moves.
    • Lindzeth
    • By Lindzeth 19th Dec 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lindzeth
    Water leak
    I've had recurring problems with a shower fitted when I bought my home five years ago. It's leaked through all external seals which I've fixed myself as they've occurred but now the problem has got a lot worse. Whenever the shower is switched on there is a steady stream of water flowing down the wall in the dining room below... not good! As this is something unrelated to the seals as they're all fine and its caused quite significant damage to the plaster work and carpet has started to smell also. Do you think i can claim off my home insurance for this?

I've never done a claim before and I'm loathe to do it but I just can't afford to fix the damn thing myself which is quite distressing.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 20th Dec 18, 6:01 AM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,805 Thanks
    Doc N
    I've had recurring problems with a shower fitted when I bought my home five years ago. It's leaked through all external seals which I've fixed myself as they've occurred but now the problem has got a lot worse. Whenever the shower is switched on there is a steady stream of water flowing down the wall in the dining room below... not good! As this is something unrelated to the seals as they're all fine and its caused quite significant damage to the plaster work and carpet has started to smell also. Do you think i can claim off my home insurance for this?

I've never done a claim before and I'm loathe to do it but I just can't afford to fix the damn thing myself which is quite distressing.
    Originally posted by Lindzeth
    It will depend on the exact wording of your policy, but the damage caused by the leak will probably be covered.

Two points, though:

1 There's always the risk with any claim that it might end up costing you more in increased premiums than the value of the claim itself.

2 The policy is unlikely to cover the cost of dealing with the shower itself.
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 20th Dec 18, 10:13 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cairndog
    Do Check Your Policy
    It will depend on the exact wording of your policy, but the damage caused by the leak will probably be covered.

Two points, though:

1 There's always the risk with any claim that it might end up costing you more in increased premiums than the value of the claim itself.

2 The policy is unlikely to cover the cost of dealing with the shower itself.
    Originally posted by Doc N

I've just had a home insurance policy renewal and I notice they've doubled the "Escape of Water " clause and I haven't claimed or anything ?
    • Suzy P
    • By Suzy P 8th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Suzy P
    Amazing savings
    Martin,
    Thanks for the tips on buying home insurance. My provider (Axa) decided to almost double my insurance this year, so I followed your advice and have saved over £700!!!!!
    The insurance cover is almost the same, I just dropped one or two unimportant bits.
    Thank you so much
    Sue
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    • 9,260 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I usually change insurers every year - to benefit from cashback via Quidco
    The last 12 months - I have had cover through L&G - Who I am now having incredible problems with - trying to get them to remove AUTO RENEW from my policy
    I have sent them SECURE web messages via their website - I have emailed them on customer.relations@landg.com but can't get a response from them
    Anyone got any ideas ?
    Failing that - when my new policy starts in 12 days time - if they try to charge me - I may have to use charge back on my debit card ?
    MORAL - AVOID L and G !
    • TM37
    • By TM37 28th Jan 19, 7:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TM37
    Leasehold contents doesn't cover for pipes etc
    Hi,

I'm about to purchase a property. It is a flat in a block and the freeholder pays buildings insurance. However, as I own the flat I will be responsible for the internal pipes and electrics of my flat. Contents insurance wouldn't cover my kitchen fittings needing replacing and calling out a plumber for a bunch of internal burst pipes.

So how do I insure for this? Can/do I get buildings insurance for my flat as well, even though the block is insured? Would personal building insurance be valid if I claimed because my pipes burst and damaged my Kitchen fittings but the block claimed on their insurance because my pipes damaged communal areas of the building? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 28th Jan 19, 8:54 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Hi,

I'm about to purchase a property. It is a flat in a block and the freeholder pays buildings insurance. However, as I own the flat I will be responsible for the internal pipes and electrics of my flat. Contents insurance wouldn't cover my kitchen fittings needing replacing and calling out a plumber for a bunch of internal burst pipes.

So how do I insure for this? Can/do I get buildings insurance for my flat as well, even though the block is insured? Would personal building insurance be valid if I claimed because my pipes burst and damaged my Kitchen fittings but the block claimed on their insurance because my pipes damaged communal areas of the building? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by TM37
    My take on this is your solicitor (or you yourself) should definitely get a copy of the freeholders insurance terms and a written agreement of how he intends to proceed regarding renewal. Terms of insurance fluctuate not only between companies and policies but also every time they are renewed each year. Once you know what you are already covered for you can get a quote for the remainder which logically would be Home contents including emergency call out; Personal liability and Legal expenses. Also, if you have not already done so, you should carefully consider if you have to pay the freeholder a regular maintenance fee, How much it is and most important if there is a legal mechanism to prevent it being disproportionately increased at renewal. It sounds like there will be if he is responsible for part of your insurance.
    Last edited by murphydavid; 28-01-2019 at 8:59 AM.
    • troubleonline
    • By troubleonline 30th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    troubleonline
    What if shed cannot be satisfactorily repaired?
    Hi

Our shed/garden house was broken into last night and because we had it secured with a heavy duty, closed shackle padlock the scuzzbags just ripped the double doors apart. We are awaiting the insurance company surveyors visit on Friday to assess the damage but I think it is clear that the doors are beyond repair. They just came and temporarily boarded it up this morning.

Not sure of the value of the shed as put in by previous house owners 13 or so years ago though know that they did nothing cheap!! I expect it is probably around £1,500/£2,000 mark to replace (they did leave all their receipts so will check through later). My concern however is how that may make the 'shed' look if the replacement doors don't match. I don't want a patch job of cheap new doors on a nice quality summerhouse.

We have raised a buildings claim with our insurers Aviva but wondering if anyone had advice on what we should expect or push for.

They stole a bike but given the £200 excess on contents claims, unprotected on contents and £400 pedal bike limit we prob wont bother claiming for that!

UPDATE: The assessor visited on Friday and advised that they will need to make custom doors. He suggested that we stain to match the rest of the shed afterwards. I suggested that be part of the repair and gave him a panel off the broken door away with him to match it!!
    Last edited by troubleonline; 04-02-2019 at 9:08 AM. Reason: updating
    • followalice
    • By followalice 7th Mar 19, 6:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    followalice
    Saga is on point!
    Saga is on point!
    • antivirtel
    • By antivirtel 4th Apr 19, 9:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    antivirtel
    Hi,

I'm new to rent a whole house, and I'd like to know if anyone used the Lettingshub's contents insurance policy. The price looks just a little higher than the others I can calculate on the comparison sites (described here: moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance/#home ), but I haven't seen any of those calculated insurances covering the deposit, what the Lettingshub's can. Any ideas?

Thanks, Roland
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 9th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    • 6,502 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    Ken68
    Just got back from Notts bs and noticed they are giving £50 cashback and will pay any cancellation fees. My quote was similar to the insurance premium I have now...... so free money.
    • Hometinker
    • By Hometinker 2nd May 19, 1:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hometinker
    Shocking quote insurance from Age Co
    Following the MSE cheap home insurance search I tried the Age Co listed with an apparently Hot deal of £75 M&S voucher. Its a lot of a discount but gets dwarfed but exceedingly high quotes.
    With the quote from them £300 !!! higher than my current renewal (like for like) no voucher would persuade me to go with it.
    Shockingly high quote so hope the £75 voucher will not give an impression that you might get a good deal there.

Hope this might save someone some time

Last edited by Hometinker; 02-05-2019 at 1:06 PM. Reason: addition
    • Iwanttobefree
    • By Iwanttobefree 9th May 19, 10:16 PM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 4,695 Thanks
    Iwanttobefree
    Never made a buildings or contents claim in my life (am 54)

Got my Direct Line renewal.

Last year your premium was £315.84
    Your renewal premium this year will be £360.64

Mid terraced 1930 ish house.

Went onto moneysupermarket, Admiral gives me exactly the same cover (OK £100 more excess) for £127

I've obviously been a fool sticking with Direct line year after year.
    The way things are going, soon we are all going to be victims of something or other.

Who will we blame then?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th May 19, 2:40 PM
    • 9,260 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Never made a buildings or contents claim in my life (am 54)

Got my Direct Line renewal.

Last year your premium was £315.84
    Your renewal premium this year will be £360.64

Mid terraced 1930 ish house.

Went onto moneysupermarket, Admiral gives me exactly the same cover (OK £100 more excess) for £127

I've obviously been a fool sticking with Direct line year after year.
    Originally posted by Iwanttobefree
    Do it through Quidco and get £20 cashback on this price as well !!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th May 19, 6:04 AM
    • 9,260 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    My wife sadly lost the diamond from her tension set engagement ring last month. The item was a 'named item' on our policy with an value of £2800 on the policy. After giving Insurance company original receipt and photo of ring with diamond, they have now come back and said they will not process the claim as we did not have the ring valued every three years or have an inspection report in the last 3 years.
    I responded saying that when I renewed the Policy over the phone in Feb 2018, this was not mentioned. They are now trying to find this recording, but have not yet found it! This year I renewed the policy via the internet, so they have said as this was online it was my responsibility to check the 'Endorsements' section, hence the broker (Policy Expert) does not deem they’re phone operative is at fault.
    More broadly, their own terms do not require rings under £2k to be checked or re-valued every three years.
    Clearly, we are distraught, especially as they have completely rejected the claim and not even offered the original value or the current value which 13 years on is now closer to £4k.
    I recognise I have failed to increase the insured value on the policy, but can't understand why they do not agree to pay up to £2k in line with non-named rings on the standard policy. Would be great if anyone could advise any further steps I can take before I go to the Finance Ombudsmen?
    Originally posted by Steveasp
    Please name and shame the insurance company
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th May 19, 7:12 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    Please name and shame the insurance company
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Why will it shame them?

The T's and C's seem quite clear from what the OP said.

The OP says the endorsement states that Rings over £2,000 need to be checked and valued every 3 years, which wasn't done in his case.

It doesn't then mean the insurer should pay to the lower limit, and if they did, it would be exceedingly good service and not due to an obligation to.

The OP didn't adhere to his side of the bargain, so why should the insurer?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,898Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin