Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m_c
    • By m_c 24th May 19, 8:25 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 48Thanks
    m_c
    PayPal Credit - Application issues
    • 24th May 19, 8:25 PM
    PayPal Credit - Application issues 24th May 19 at 8:25 PM
    Has anybody had any problems applying for PayPal Credit?

I've been trying for the past few days, and had a few messages back and forth with PayPal, but it still won't accept my application despite trying multiple devices and browsers/apps.

I enter all my details, click apply, the form refreshes and displays a message asking me to check my details are entered correctly, which they are. Repeat another two times, and the application fails.

According to PayPal the application form is showing as pending in their system, so doesn't even get as far as entering the credit check phase, yet they can't give any explanation as to why.
Page 1
    • secretdebt
    • By secretdebt 24th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    secretdebt
    • 24th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 24th May 19, 8:30 PM
    I applied the other day, and got it straight away and used it within about 10 mins. I did it through the App.

Sorry I can't be any more help.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 24th May 19, 8:31 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 24th May 19, 8:31 PM
    • 24th May 19, 8:31 PM
    If the application is pending in their system, can they not do anything manually to help it along to the next stage?
    • m_c
    • By m_c 24th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    m_c
    • 24th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 24th May 19, 8:39 PM
    If the application is pending in their system, can they not do anything manually to help it along to the next stage?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Apparently not. They say the system is fully automated, and all applications have to be done by the customer online.

They have acknowledged I'm a long term regular customer (been using it since 2003!), and that my issue seems to be unique. Hopefully after tonights failed attempts, it may get bumped to someone who can look at things in a bit more detail and work out why it's failing.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 24th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 6,602 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 24th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 24th May 19, 8:58 PM
    Are you applying for credit constantly?

This could lead to many searches in your credit files.....
    • m_c
    • By m_c 24th May 19, 9:05 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    m_c
    • 24th May 19, 9:05 PM
    • 24th May 19, 9:05 PM
    Are you applying for credit constantly?

This could lead to many searches in your credit files.....
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    No. Last credit I applied for was 9 months ago, and probably another 9 months prior to that.

If I'd failed the credit check for whatever reason, I'd accept that decision, but as the application isn't even getting as far as that, I'm keen to know why.
    Only real reason I'm interested in PayPal Credit, is as I buy quite a few things via PayPal, so the extra 4 months of 0% is just a bonus.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 24th May 19, 10:01 PM
    • 6,602 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 24th May 19, 10:01 PM
    • 24th May 19, 10:01 PM
    At what point is it failing then if not ah the credit check part?
    • m_c
    • By m_c 24th May 19, 10:17 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    m_c
    • 24th May 19, 10:17 PM
    • 24th May 19, 10:17 PM
    At what point is it failing then if not ah the credit check part?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    All they've told me after my first contact, was they could see the application showing as pending, which normally means the system has not been able to match me to the credit reference agency.

However all details are correct, and later applications are showing as not even getting that far. It's like something on the application form is failing validation, and it's getting knocked back before even entering the credit checking stage.

When I get the failed message, it mentions I should get an explanation sent to me explaining why it's failed, but I'm not getting any explanation, and customer service are none the wiser.
    It starting to look like I've discovered some kind of flaw in their application process which even PayPal can't explain.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 25th May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 25th May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 25th May 19, 8:41 PM
    However all details are correct, and later applications are showing as not even getting that far. It's like something on the application form is failing validation, and it's getting knocked back before even entering the credit checking stage..
    Originally posted by m_c
    Have you checked that all details on your PayPal account match your application and are true to reality? (i.e. name, title, addresses, cards, etc)
    • m_c
    • By m_c 25th May 19, 8:54 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    m_c
    Have you checked that all details on your PayPal account match your application and are true to reality? (i.e. name, title, addresses, cards, etc)
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Multiple times!

I actually just came on to say they've realised the problem, or at least I pointed them in the right direction.

When I logged on via my phone (which I rarely do, as I usually only access my totally separate business account on it), I happened to get a business app ad page, which reminded that years ago, I upgraded my PayPal account so I could receive card payments (IIRC you had to be able to accept card payments via eBay), and I didn't ever remember downgrading it back to a personal account.
    I posed this question to them, and it turns out that despite showing as a personal account when I log in, my account is still a Premier account, which hasn't been available in the UK for a good few years, and "this would indeed have an effect".
    I now just need to wait for them to downgrade the account, and the application should at least make it to the credit checking stage...
    • cjv
    • By cjv 25th May 19, 9:54 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    cjv
    I have had PayPal credit for a few years now, originally opened it just to get an interest free payment plan on a new mobile phone. I remember it being a very simple process.

Just thought I would post to let you know that I have had a few promotions each year, example spend 30 with paypal credit get 10 back, which are quite nice if you use them to buy something you were going to buy anyway. You may also get offers of discounts at certain retailers when paying with paypal credit.

I have not used it for anything else really so maybe they target customers like me with some of their promotions, but its also nice to have the ongoing 4 months interest free available if needed.
    • gionnetto
    • By gionnetto 25th May 19, 11:00 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    gionnetto
    I have had PayPal credit for a few years now
    Originally posted by cjv
    By any chance, do you remember which CRA(s) they check when they do the credit check? I'm asking because I'm having troubles with Equifax regarding the electoral roll, and I'd like not to have bad surprises if/when I apply for Paypal credit.

Thanks!
    • cjv
    • By cjv 25th May 19, 11:23 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    cjv
    By any chance, do you remember which CRA(s) they check when they do the credit check? I'm asking because I'm having troubles with Equifax regarding the electoral roll, and I'd like not to have bad surprises if/when I apply for Paypal credit.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by gionnetto
    Sorry it was so long ago that I do not remember. I can tell you though, that PayPal currently only report my account to Equifax and Transunion/Callcredit, but not Experian.
    • m_c
    • By m_c 30th May 19, 5:52 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    m_c
    And we're still no further forward.

My account was downgraded on Sunday, but I'm still facing the same problem. Apparently they can't even see any application attempts since then, despite me having tried multiple times on various devices/browsers/apps.

PayPal are however responding to my messages much quicker, as we've gone from around a day, to within a couple hours.
    • adamflynn9
    • By adamflynn9 11th Oct 19, 1:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    adamflynn9
    And we're still no further forward.

My account was downgraded on Sunday, but I'm still facing the same problem. Apparently they can't even see any application attempts since then, despite me having tried multiple times on various devices/browsers/apps.

PayPal are however responding to my messages much quicker, as we've gone from around a day, to within a couple hours.
    Originally posted by m_c

I've found your post online today after having the same problems. I've tried different browsers, different devices and still it won't let me do this. I'm getting the error message to check my details and try again.

I've spoken to a customer service advisor and he advised it doesn't seem to be submitting as they can't see that I'm making any applications. Did you manage to get your issue resolved?
    • m_c
    • By m_c 11th Oct 19, 9:08 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    m_c
    I've found your post online today after having the same problems. I've tried different browsers, different devices and still it won't let me do this. I'm getting the error message to check my details and try again.

I've spoken to a customer service advisor and he advised it doesn't seem to be submitting as they can't see that I'm making any applications. Did you manage to get your issue resolved?
    Originally posted by adamflynn9
    No.
    I've pretty much given up, as nobody seemed to be able to help.
    Online support seemed to reach a dead end, and told me to phone.
    Phone support then said as they couldn't even see an application attempt, there was nothing they could do.

I may have another attempt when I get some spare time, but I'm swaying towards telling them to shut the account due to their ineptness.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 11th Oct 19, 9:10 PM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 7,708 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    this is telling you not to do it
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• older_wiser
    • By older_wiser 12th Oct 19, 10:35 AM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    older_wiser
    No.
    I've pretty much given up, as nobody seemed to be able to help.
    Online support seemed to reach a dead end, and told me to phone.
    Phone support then said as they couldn't even see an application attempt, there was nothing they could do.

I may have another attempt when I get some spare time, but I'm swaying towards telling them to shut the account due to their ineptness.
    Originally posted by m_c
    i had a similar ish situation quite awhile go now where paypal wouldn't allow me to use paypal funds at certain stores/businesses online the purchase would be refused these were not overseas but well known uk stores currys etc. CS couldn't do anything about this as its all automated and if the computer says no thats it.

No one can overide it not even senior members of the security team as thats how the system was built and setup. I was told that they noticed i was logging into paypal via different devices phone/laptop and perhaps thats what the system didn't like about the transactions. I gave up in the end and now only use paypal for stores i know will work

One other thing i'd mention i did get an email from Paypal just recently telling me my address was not correct and they i had been getting my post returned. I've lived at the same address for nearly 10 years so when i contacted CS telling them they noticed the address was correct on the system when they delved deeper into my contact details that section was not correct and that did not include my first line of the address. They couldn't understand why one was different to the other and that it was a glitch that they would report to make the system better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

7,694Users online

Martin's Twitter