Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 23rd May 19, 11:41 AM
    • 2,150Posts
    • 1,294Thanks
    Sncjw
    Minimum payment
    • 23rd May 19, 11:41 AM
    Minimum payment 23rd May 19 at 11:41 AM
    Hi all

I have a Barclay card platinum for purchases and I have 28 months at 0% offer. Now I normally pay my clarity off in full but I want to use my Barclay card so I spread cost if I have a tricky month.

Now with minimum payment will they mark it as such on a 0% deal. I am saving to buy a house and donít want that to affect it too much.
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    Allegedly the account will be marked with a 'promo' marker, so there should not be a negative impact of making minimum payments (in theory).

But when I look at my three credit files, I do not see any such marker on my credit card promotions. I would just pay a small amount extra every month by Standing Order to be on the safe side.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 23rd May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 23rd May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 2:28 PM
    Pay slightly over the minimum then there will be no risk of such a marker. Problem solved.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 23rd May 19, 3:12 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 23rd May 19, 3:12 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 3:12 PM
    Hi all

I have a Barclay card platinum for purchases and I have 28 months at 0% offer. Now I normally pay my clarity off in full but I want to use my Barclay card so I spread cost if I have a tricky month.

Now with minimum payment will they mark it as such on a 0% deal. I am saving to buy a house and donít want that to affect it too much.
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    I managed to get my mortgage last year with numerous cards that were on 0% deals for many years and I only paid the minimum on them - never had any minimum payment markers. I think it was on Experian it showed them as being on a promotional rate. Either way, it never affected me.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 23rd May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 23rd May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 3:16 PM
    You should be making more than the minimum payments, as you may find the lenders increasing the minimum payment percentage in line with new guildines.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 23rd May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 7,573 Posts
    • 4,789 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 23rd May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 3:42 PM
    Do remember that promotional deals for purchases are rarely available for the full card period, often only the first 2-3 months or when they give you an offer

You should be making more than the minimum payments, as you may find the lenders increasing the minimum payment percentage in line with new guildines.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat

With 0% deals I wouldn't have thought they would as you might want to BT again at the end for example
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 23rd May 19, 4:34 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 23rd May 19, 4:34 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 4:34 PM
    I rang and they said I have it for 28 months on purchases at 0%
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 23rd May 19, 4:45 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 23rd May 19, 4:45 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 4:45 PM
    I have noticed a strange thing that the card I have is suited for people who have Income over 20k yet I earn under that I got the card. Very bizarre
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 23rd May 19, 6:11 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 23rd May 19, 6:11 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 6:11 PM
    Ö it was on Experian it showed them as being on a promotional rate.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    Thanks for that. I hadn't 'found' the promotional markers before, but now I can see them
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,197Posts Today

6,052Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin