Minimum payment

Sncjw
Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi all

I have a Barclay card platinum for purchases and I have 28 months at 0% offer. Now I normally pay my clarity off in full but I want to use my Barclay card so I spread cost if I have a tricky month.

Now with minimum payment will they mark it as such on a 0% deal. I am saving to buy a house and don’t want that to affect it too much.
Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Allegedly the account will be marked with a 'promo' marker, so there should not be a negative impact of making minimum payments (in theory).

But when I look at my three credit files, I do not see any such marker on my credit card promotions. I would just pay a small amount extra every month by Standing Order to be on the safe side. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Pay slightly over the minimum then there will be no risk of such a marker. Problem solved.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a Barclay card platinum for purchases and I have 28 months at 0% offer. Now I normally pay my clarity off in full but I want to use my Barclay card so I spread cost if I have a tricky month.

Now with minimum payment will they mark it as such on a 0% deal. I am saving to buy a house and don’t want that to affect it too much.

I managed to get my mortgage last year with numerous cards that were on 0% deals for many years and I only paid the minimum on them - never had any minimum payment markers. I think it was on Experian it showed them as being on a promotional rate. Either way, it never affected me.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    You should be making more than the minimum payments, as you may find the lenders increasing the minimum payment percentage in line with new guildines.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do remember that promotional deals for purchases are rarely available for the full card period, often only the first 2-3 months or when they give you an offer

foxy-stoat wrote: »
    You should be making more than the minimum payments, as you may find the lenders increasing the minimum payment percentage in line with new guildines.

With 0% deals I wouldn't have thought they would as you might want to BT again at the end for example
  • Sncjw
    I rang and they said I have it for 28 months on purchases at 0%
    Mortgage free wannabe 

• Sncjw
    I have noticed a strange thing that the card I have is suited for people who have Income over 20k yet I earn under that I got the card. Very bizarre
    Mortgage free wannabe 

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Candyapple wrote: »
    … it was on Experian it showed them as being on a promotional rate.
    Thanks for that. I hadn't 'found' the promotional markers before, but now I can see them :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family