Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 23rd May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    JGB1955
    • 23rd May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 8:21 AM
    Sorting by 'lowest APR' gives a better result
  • archived user
    • 23rd May 19, 8:23 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 8:23 AM
    Sorting by 'lowest APR' gives a better result
    Originally posted by JGB1955
    But AMEX is an award winning card for travel!
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 23rd May 19, 9:16 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    shiny76
    • 23rd May 19, 9:16 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 9:16 AM
    But AMEX is an award winning card for travel!
    Originally posted by beany_bot
    To be fair it doesn't say what it won an award for
    • 2ilent8cho
    • By 2ilent8cho 23rd May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    2ilent8cho
    • 23rd May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 9:27 AM
    It is a travel credit card, you collect Avios points. I have the premium version of that card and it is the best travel rewards card on the market. So i am missing what your point is?

For example i have booked a First Class return to New York using this card in March and i got another First Class with BA return for FREE (just had to pay Tax and Surcharge). If i book it cash on the same flight it comes out at 6000. Name me another travel credit card that can give you a reward worth thousands every year?
  • archived user
    • 23rd May 19, 9:30 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 9:30 AM
    It is a travel credit card, you collect Avios points. I have the premium version of that card and it is the best travel rewards card on the market. So i am missing what your point is?
    Originally posted by 2ilent8cho
    Yes, yes you are. It's supposed to be a list of best cards to use while travelling. not just "booking flights". I have this card also, and I wouldn't dream of using it abroad. It's the worst card I have to use abroad.

It specifically says on the page "With the right credit card you can avoid sneaky overseas card charges".

Not with that AMEX you cant!
    • 2ilent8cho
    • By 2ilent8cho 23rd May 19, 9:32 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    2ilent8cho
    • 23rd May 19, 9:32 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 9:32 AM
    Yes, yes you are. It's supposed to be a list of best card to use while travelling. not just "booking flights". I have this card also, and I wouldn't dream of using it abroad. It's the worst card I have to use abroad.
    You use airlines to travel so it fits under the travel category.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 23rd May 19, 10:02 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 23rd May 19, 10:02 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 10:02 AM
    I wonder how much Amex paid to win that award...
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 23rd May 19, 10:28 AM
    • 11,391 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 23rd May 19, 10:28 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 10:28 AM
    Yes, yes you are. It's supposed to be a list of best cards to use while travelling. not just "booking flights". I have this card also, and I wouldn't dream of using it abroad. It's the worst card I have to use abroad.

It specifically says on the page "With the right credit card you can avoid sneaky overseas card charges".
    You're quoting very selectively there, what about the rest of that sentence?
    With the right credit card you can avoid sneaky overseas card charges while spending abroad, or earn airline reward points before you go. Compare credit cards from seven companies that are useful for travel, holidays and frequent flyers.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 23rd May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Name me another travel credit card that can give you a reward worth thousands every year?

Somebody else's?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 23rd May 19, 8:13 PM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    Ben8282

For example i have booked a First Class return to New York using this card in March and i got another First Class with BA return for FREE (just had to pay Tax and Surcharge). If i book it cash on the same flight it comes out at 6000. Name me another travel credit card that can give you a reward worth thousands every year?
    Yes that may well be so. But how many people actually book full fare First Class tickets? Such passengers usually fall into the don't care about the price because employer is paying category or the too rich to really care category. To obtain this 'reward' worth thousands you actually have to spend thousands first. I am assuming that what you got here was a free companion ticket on some sort of Amex offer rather than sufficient Avios for you to actually obtain a second ticket of equal value to the first.
    I agree with the OP on this one, In both the sense of what is generally understood on this forum by 'travel credit card' as opposed to 'rewards credit card' and in the sense of avoiding sneaky overseas card charges, this is NOT the top travel credit card.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 23-05-2019 at 8:23 PM.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 24th May 19, 12:03 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Ergates
    I agree with the OP on this one, In both the sense of what is generally understood on this forum by 'travel credit card' as opposed to 'rewards credit card' and in the sense of avoiding sneaky overseas card charges, this is NOT the top travel credit card.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    That might be what people think of first by "Travel credit card", but if you read what it says at the top of the USwitch page (in the screenshot) it's pretty clear that they have a broader definition - i.e. including cards that give travel rewards with normal spending.

It would be fairly trivial to sort through the returned list to find the "type" of travel card you're looking for.

Maybe USwitch could split them into "Cards to use abroad" and "Cards that give you travel reward points". But then again, maybe they figured having too many categories would be more confusing in the long run. Swings/Roundabouts.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 24th May 19, 12:21 PM
    • 6,587 Posts
    • 4,417 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Or maybe people could just do what no one does and read the small print
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 24th May 19, 2:12 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Ergates
    Or maybe people could just do what no one does and read the small print
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    That's crazy talk!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,931Posts Today

8,382Users online

Martin's Twitter