Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 19th May 19, 6:06 PM
    • 587Posts
    • 121Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Barclaycard Platinum card
    • 19th May 19, 6:06 PM
    Barclaycard Platinum card 19th May 19 at 6:06 PM
    Can anyone confirm that there are definitely NO FEES whatsoever for withdrawing cash (either the European destination or Barclays Bank) if I get Martin's recommended : Top Overseas Spending Card: Barclaycard Platinum Cashback

Thanks in anticipation.... off on our hols in 10 days
Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 20th May 19, 11:48 AM
    • 5,432 Posts
    • 3,896 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 20th May 19, 11:48 AM
    • 20th May 19, 11:48 AM
    This forum is just for posting holiday deals so I will move it over to the credit card forum

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th May 19, 11:50 AM
    • 22,522 Posts
    • 24,740 Thanks
    zx81
    • 20th May 19, 11:50 AM
    • 20th May 19, 11:50 AM
    Any ATM fees will always apply, regardless of the card you use.

Barclaycard can't control third party fees.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 20th May 19, 12:05 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 20th May 19, 12:05 PM
    • 20th May 19, 12:05 PM
    Can anyone confirm that there are definitely NO FEES whatsoever for withdrawing cash (either the European destination or Barclays Bank) if I get Martin's recommended : Top Overseas Spending Card: Barclaycard Platinum Cashback
    Originally posted by maggiesoup
    Just wanted to say that an MSE member reported at the weekend that the affiliated MSE link that is meant to take you to the cashback card, took them to the wrong product. So double-check that the affiliated link takes you to the correct Barclaycard product.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th May 19, 2:31 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 20th May 19, 2:31 PM
    • 20th May 19, 2:31 PM
    This'll be the card you want ?

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-plus

No fees at ATMs abroad, except if the machine's owner bank imposes a separate surcharge, as mentioned above, likewise no fees for goods and services.

Three cardinal rules

1. Always elect to pay in local currency.

2. Always settle the balance in full within the timeframe when the next monthly statement arrives.

3. Always have an alternative source of funds - a Starling card comes highly recommended
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 20th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 20th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 20th May 19, 3:09 PM

Thanks in anticipation.... off on our hols in 10 days

Where you say "if I get" - does this mean you don't already have it - and you're hoping to apply, be approved and have it in your pocket in 10 days time? That seems optmistic to me, but good luck and happy hols!
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 20th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 10,277 Posts
    • 15,960 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 20th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 20th May 19, 3:14 PM
    But you could get Starling, Monzo and Revolut cards all in three days which don't charge exchange fees in shops or using ATM's.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 21st May 19, 11:00 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 21st May 19, 11:00 AM
    • 21st May 19, 11:00 AM
    But you could get Starling, Monzo and Revolut cards all in three days which don't charge exchange fees in shops or using ATM's.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Agree with this, only caveat being that Monzo has a 250 fee free limit/month for atm withdrawals abroad.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 21st May 19, 5:59 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 21st May 19, 5:59 PM
    • 21st May 19, 5:59 PM
    Agree with this, only caveat being that Monzo has a 250 fee free limit/month for atm withdrawals abroad.
    Originally posted by Alexd52

...and Revolut 200. Paltry.

So that leaves Starling.
    But also useful to have a credit card for deposits etc
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 23rd May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Where you say "if I get" - does this mean you don't already have it - and you're hoping to apply, be approved and have it in your pocket in 10 days time? That seems optmistic to me, but good luck and happy hols!
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP
    Card arrived today - impressed !
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 23rd May 19, 2:07 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    beany_bot
    Bear in mind you wont be charged a fee for withdrawing the cash. But you will pay interest on it from the moment you withdraw it.
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 23rd May 19, 2:21 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    maggiesoup
    I've just spent the best part of an hour trying to register but it keeps kicking me out with some "Failure.... web browser etc etc " message so I'm going to bin it. As everyone has mentioned, there's no such thing as a free lunch!
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 23rd May 19, 2:23 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    beany_bot
    emm, try a different browser.

Rather than "binning" it in a huff.
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 23rd May 19, 2:32 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Too late ! It's cut in half....
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere

That's a bit weird. I have one of their Platinum Travel cards. You don't need to register it.

Do you mean Activate it? I am guessing you do. It would have taken a few seconds to realise that you had the alternative of calling them on a Freephone number;
    Activating your card at barclaycard.co.uk/activate is the quickest way to start using it. If youd prefer to activate your card over the phone, just give us a call on 0800 068 4499.
    The Online option just frees up their staff, but it isn't mandatory. Wow...just wow. You need that holiday.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 23rd May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Binned what?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd May 19, 2:52 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Bear in mind you wont be charged a fee for withdrawing the cash. But you will pay interest on it from the moment you withdraw it.
    Originally posted by beany_bot
    This was wrong anyway. No interest as long as you pay the full statement balance.

The OP has made a huge, impetuous blunder.
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 23rd May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    beany_bot
    I think you should apologise to all the people in this thread that previously took their time to help you only for you to cut up the card on arrival!
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 23rd May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Yip... too late ! I simply hate when technology doesn't work and it send you around in circles for an hour. Yesssss, need that break!
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 23rd May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Sorry to be a moan and I sincerely do thank everyone who was good enough to post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

3,602Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin