Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 18th May 19, 8:18 PM
    • 5,115Posts
    • 54,190Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    Carers allowance questions
    • 18th May 19, 8:18 PM
    Carers allowance questions 18th May 19 at 8:18 PM
    Hi, I've been trying to find out if my Mother would be entitled to a carer.
    Shes almost housebound now with huge difficulties walking, dressing and basic hygiene but my Father does most of the assisting her.
    My fathers now struggling as he's 80 and Mums getting more demanding.
    My main problem is, they're very old school and although my Mum suffers greatly, she rarely sees a doctor.

As i work part time, I'd like to help them out a bit with housework, shopping and maybe pushing my mum around in her wheelchair so she gets out.

Would I be able to get carers allowance and if so, how do i go about it? will it go against us that Mums had very little medical attention?

Really appreciate any advice or pointers to where I get information
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 18th May 19, 8:25 PM
    • 30,986 Posts
    • 79,419 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 18th May 19, 8:25 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:25 PM
    Would I be able to get carers allowance
    Originally posted by betterlatethannever
    Is your Mum getting any of the relevant benefits?

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 18th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 54,190 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    • 18th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:32 PM
    Is your Mum getting any of the relevant benefits?

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Originally posted by Mojisola

Thanks for that.
    No, she isn't.
    I planned on looking at AA as i think she could get that, but as she doesn't have too many doctors notes on her problems (although her problems are visually obvious) I'm not sure.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 18th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 30,986 Posts
    • 79,419 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 18th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:50 PM
    Thanks for that.
    No, she isn't.
    I planned on looking at AA as i think she could get that, but as she doesn't have too many doctors notes on her problems (although her problems are visually obvious) I'm not sure.
    Originally posted by betterlatethannever
    Get help from an advisor to fill in the forms - CAB, AgeUK or similar.
    • venison
    • By venison 18th May 19, 8:56 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    venison
    • 18th May 19, 8:56 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:56 PM
    AA isn't about the help you need not whats wrong with you, so I would get her to apply and would second the recommendation to get AGE UK to help with the application, as far as CA goes it would depend on what you earn from working, and of course you have to give 35 hours a week of help.
    If you are not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 19th May 19, 11:15 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 19th May 19, 11:15 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:15 AM
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/attendance-allowance

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 21st May 19, 8:28 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 21st May 19, 8:28 PM
    • 21st May 19, 8:28 PM
    Head over to carers uk forum perhaps for more advice. There's a forum about working and also getting carers allowance. If I remember rightly you can earn 123 a week and still get carers allowance. But if you earn more you can put some of it into a personal pension and still keep under the 123.00 threshold.

Carers uk forum has very detailed info.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st May 19, 9:53 PM
    • 5,228 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 21st May 19, 9:53 PM
    • 21st May 19, 9:53 PM
    Head over to carers uk forum perhaps for more advice. There's a forum about working and also getting carers allowance. If I remember rightly you can earn 123 a week and still get carers allowance. But if you earn more you can put some of it into a personal pension and still keep under the 123.00 threshold.

Carers uk forum has very detailed info.
    Originally posted by pearl123
    No point in doing that yet because the mother isn't claiming a qualifying benefit for the OP to claim carers allowance.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 22nd May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 22nd May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 22nd May 19, 10:24 AM
    No point in doing that yet because the mother isn't claiming a qualifying benefit for the OP to claim carers allowance.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    I was just giving a bit of information, which OP might not have known.

Clearly, her mother has healthy issues "huge difficulties walking, dressing and basic hygiene' and therefore, there is a good chance that she could be entitled to a qualifying benefit.
    The carers uk forum is the best I've come across regarding carer information.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 22nd May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 5,228 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    poppy12345
    AA isn't about not being able to walk, mobility isn't part of AA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

8,265Users online

Martin's Twitter