Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 14th May 19, 2:23 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 83Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Is the Tooth Fairy being stingy?
    • 14th May 19, 2:23 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Is the Tooth Fairy being stingy? 14th May 19 at 2:23 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

One of my six-year-old daughters tells me the Tooth Fairy has been leaving a £5 note under her schoolfriend's pillow for every tooth she loses. £5! And I have twins! Should I tell my daughters that the Tooth Fairy has run out of £5 notes - so they should be grateful for the 50p they found under their pillow - or even that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist and they should stop wiggling their teeth?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 16th May 19, 8:23 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Exodi
    I'd always take what children say their friends have with a grain of salt (as children spend most of his life trying to impress each other!)

By what I've been told; all of their friends all go to bed whenever they want and all get whatever they ask for...
    Know what you don't
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 16th May 19, 3:03 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 12,877 Thanks
    tgroom57
    Can it be a magical Beatric Potter 50p ? Same monetary value but much more endearing, and I'm sure they'll turn up in Mum's change occasionally.

• culpepper
    • By culpepper 16th May 19, 3:15 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 7,492 Thanks
    culpepper
    Haha I would be saying ..oh no, poor friend, the fairy must have run out of treasure..(because of course the fairy has a treasure stash and nobody thinks of treasure as being made of just paper).
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 16th May 19, 5:12 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    I would stop lying to your child and tell her that there is no such thing as The Tooth Fairy. This sort of American nonsense has a lot to answer for.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 16th May 19, 5:26 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    My two kids got £2 for their first tooth and then a £1coin for every other tooth afterwards. One time the tooth fairy forgot to collect the tooth and leave money but did this the next night but daughter wrote a letter to her and asked why she did not come. Had to write note with wrong hand to say was busy. It's all part of the magic. Also had a note to ask whattooth fairy name was.
    • Typo22
    • By Typo22 16th May 19, 6:08 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Typo22
    Tell her to have a sleepover with her friend when she loses a tooth & see what happens.
    Ian
    • Snowbird
    • By Snowbird 16th May 19, 6:15 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Snowbird
    Iím 51, the tooth fairy was visiting me 45 years ago & leaving 50p then.
    Surely itís gone up with inflation.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    You had a very generous fairy. I am 58 and mine only left 6d.
    However, I did rumble the fairy when she left 2 x 3d pieces one night. I told my mum about it and she said that the tooth fairy musnt have had any change that night. A favourite saying of my mums!
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 18th May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    Iím 51, the tooth fairy was visiting me 45 years ago & leaving 50p then.
    Surely itís gone up with inflation.
    Originally posted by Kim kim

I am a similar age and I don't remember getting more than 10p. Obviously the inequities of the tooth fairy leaving different amounts go back a long way!
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 19th May 19, 4:50 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 12,936 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    My children and their cousins receive £1 for the first tooth and 50p for each tooth after that.

We have had no complaints from any of them.

I keep a couple of 50p pieces to one side in case of any tooth loss.

Dd teeth go from hardly moving to under the pillow in a day or two.
    Last edited by Baileys Babe; 19-05-2019 at 4:53 PM.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 19th May 19, 4:56 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 12,936 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    But not all teeth extracted by the dentist are rotten.

My DD had two perfectly healthy teeth removed as she needed braces.

My DS had two healthy teeth removed because the adult teeth were not pushing the "baby" teeth out but were coming through behind them at an odd angle. Again, healthy teeth.

I think that they each got £5 for the pair. Definitely not £5 per tooth.
    Originally posted by olgadapolga
    Like your children the dentist has had to extract 4 of my son's teeth, none were damaged but he had no room for the rest of his adult teeth
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 19th May 19, 5:26 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Our tooth fairy gave less for teeth the dentist had to pull, as the fairy really wasnít impressed with rotting teeth and wished they had been looked after better.
    Originally posted by silvercar

Did the Ďtooth fairyí not realise that was the parentsí fault entirely?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

2,200Users online

Martin's Twitter