Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 14th May 19, 2:23 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 82Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Is the Tooth Fairy being stingy?
    • 14th May 19, 2:23 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Is the Tooth Fairy being stingy? 14th May 19 at 2:23 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

One of my six-year-old daughters tells me the Tooth Fairy has been leaving a £5 note under her schoolfriend's pillow for every tooth she loses. £5! And I have twins! Should I tell my daughters that the Tooth Fairy has run out of £5 notes - so they should be grateful for the 50p they found under their pillow - or even that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist and they should stop wiggling their teeth?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th May 19, 7:35 AM
    • 9,481 Posts
    • 31,805 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'd consider giving one of the unusual 50 pence pieces & encouraging child to stash them. (Or recycling the same coin until they can count effectively.)

When a son lost the tooth between oops! & bedtime, he drew a picture of it. The tooth fairy accepted it but I should have left a picture of a 50 pence piece...

When my husband had a tooth removed (having been a massive grouch for 72 hours) the tooth fairy left a new toothbrush & painkillers for him...

Do not let inflation or peer pressure dictate a family ritual.
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 15th May 19, 7:39 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    Why not tell the child the tooth fairy doesn't exist, but offer to buy the used tooth for 50p. If she doesn't like that, she's welcome to try & flog it to the richer mum or her tooth fairy.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th May 19, 7:44 AM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 30,559 Thanks
    Primrose
    When I was a child it was a silver sixpence in a matchbox but that was a VERY LONG TIME ago ! Not sure what the current equivalent is.

My dad embedded my first lost baby tooth in a joint in a concrete pergola pillar he built in the back garden. The house has long since been sold so I wonder if it's still there. Maybe some amateur archaeologist will come across it one day and wonder what kind of creature it came from !! Looking back it was rather a nice way of permanently celebrating a stepping stone in my childhood. I'd completely forgotten about it until this thread cropped up.
    • stmartinsdiver
    • By stmartinsdiver 15th May 19, 8:11 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    stmartinsdiver
    A £1 coin always delights our grandchildren and being trainee money savers they pop it into their piggy bank without any thoughts of spending it. Happy kids and happy parents.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 15th May 19, 8:42 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    When I was a child I got a sixpence, a little silver coin pre-decimalisation.

When my children had a tooth come out, I left £1 under their pillow.

So with inflation I think £5 is probably about right, prices have risen and kids are meant to be able to buy something with the money they get, or save it towards something special, so I think you should leave the same as everyone else, if that is the going rate.

You might want to ask around first, to other mums/dads to see how much they leave.

Tooth fairies DO exist
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th May 19, 8:51 AM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 12,893 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Iím 51, the tooth fairy was visiting me 45 years ago & leaving 50p then.
    Surely itís gone up with inflation.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    You were from a rich family then , I got 10p around the same time.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 15th May 19, 10:20 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    JayD
    Tell them there is a trainee tooth fairy and they are not allowed to put more than 50p under the pillow.

If you say there is no tooth fairy are you going to admit there is no santa?

You prepared to deal with the fall out from the parents of the kid who pays £5 when your kid tells them there is no tooth fairy?

Kids are not kids for long, let them enjoy the magic for a while.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards

This sounds like excellent advice - although I question that the tale that others are getting £5 per tooth is really true, or if those children are exaggerating ...

You could build on this and ask your daughter to leave an encouraging note for the budding apprentice fairies when next she leaves them a tooth - and maybe they could respond

I don't think it is kind to break the tooth fairy myth for your daughter - it could upset her, if she believes you. Also, if she passes that info on it could upset other children and their parents too.

Hopefully, the tooth fairy will only have to deliver for a short period in your daughter's life. Let her enjoy it and wiggle away
    • Jamboreee
    • By Jamboreee 15th May 19, 10:49 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jamboreee
    Far too much!
    My tooth fairy only brought a 3d coin! However, working in a school I find that most children get £2 for their first tooth (all teeth should be the same- but there you go) and £1 for each subsequent tooth. Sometimes she even leaves a tiny little card saying 'thank you' !
    • ConnieTact
    • By ConnieTact 15th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ConnieTact
    The tooth fairy that used to come to my three sons sometimes used to forget to put anything under the pillow! (she was very busy indeed!) 🧚!♂️🦷
    When this used to happen I would explain that in fact rather than it being disappointing- they would get more than double the next nite! I seem to remember the amounts being 20p and 50p but will have to check with my grown up sons!
    Iím not sure what they are leaving for their children....a good conversation to be had.
    Although maybe not as, if the families differ, I may create an issue with the grandchildren!
    • Kenny1957
    • By Kenny1957 15th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kenny1957
    50 pence
    Give them a 50pence,but make sure it is one of the special ones,like Paddington bear or something simlier .job done
    • ACE1
    • By ACE1 15th May 19, 2:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ACE1
    Aside from the cost of compensation for a head full of teeth, what do you do with all the collected body parts?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th May 19, 3:47 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 11,579 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    A £1 coin always delights our grandchildren and being trainee money savers they pop it into their piggy bank without any thoughts of spending it. Happy kids and happy parents.
    Originally posted by stmartinsdiver
    I think by 6 I'd already grasped the idea that putting it in the bank would earn interest.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • louisajoyce
    • By louisajoyce 15th May 19, 3:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    louisajoyce
    Just thought, she probably pulled the same stunt on me
    Originally posted by shiny76
    • louisajoyce
    • By louisajoyce 15th May 19, 3:53 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    louisajoyce
    My tooth fairy only brought a 3d coin! However, working in a school I find that most children get £2 for their first tooth (all teeth should be the same- but there you go) and £1 for each subsequent tooth. Sometimes she even leaves a tiny little card saying 'thank you' !
    Originally posted by Jamboreee
    My kids only ever got 50p, but this was eclipsed by the tiny little note the Tooth Fairy had written, thanking them for their lovely shiny tooth! They absolutely loved those letters - you should have seen me giving myself eyestrain trying to write the teeny words!
    • crmism
    • By crmism 15th May 19, 7:34 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    crmism
    Either the parents of your daughter's friend have more money than sense, or they don't care how much they sling at their child even if it's out of all proportion to the event. The poor kid is likely to grow up with no sense of values if losing a tooth earns ten times more than what her school-friends get, and there is nothing worse than that.

Stick to your principles, and explain to your daughter that her friend must have a different tooth fairy. When she's older, your daughter will thank you for your prudence and common sense, and have a far better idea of money's worth.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 15th May 19, 8:00 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    suejb2
    Tooth
    Youíre being played.

Your twin is telling you this and her friend is telling her parents that your daughter is getting that amount!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 15th May 19, 8:21 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    I give my children 50p per tooth. The eldest is 11, and still leaves lost teeth under his pillow. I suspect he knows the truth, but daren't admit it for fear of missing out.

Discrepancies in the amount between their friends hasn't come up yet, but I am prepared. I will say the Tooth Fairy has a set amount of money to give out each day, and that has to be shared between everyone who has lost a tooth. So if she has lots of children to visit, they all get a smaller share. But if she only has a few, they get a larger share. So you never know how much you might get.
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 15th May 19, 8:26 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,349 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    I think five pounds a tooth is too much but i know quite a few children get it..... Along with toys, presents, cards, keepsakes etc etc. Ive got 3 children including a set of twins. At 20 teeth and five pounds for each tooth that would be 300 pounds for my 3 children who will all loose teeth at a similar time.
    Our tooth fairy brings pound coins to children who fall asleep in good time and gives out 50 pences later in the night when she has run out of pounds. If you want a pound you need to fall asleep nicely. Its not gone up much since i was little but hey ho.
    And yes i recycle the coins.
    X
    Last edited by NeverendingDMP; 16-05-2019 at 6:10 AM.
    35,213 - Jan 2018, 28500 remaining.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73364 remaining.
    Emergency fund 55
    Make 2019- 1075.46 /2019
    1% challenge 33%
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 15th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    You were from a rich family then , I got 10p around the same time.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    I'm younger and got 10p !
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th May 19, 7:42 AM
    • 39,116 Posts
    • 162,840 Thanks
    silvercar
    Aside from the cost of compensation for a head full of teeth, what do you do with all the collected body parts?
    Originally posted by ACE1
    The tooth fairy in this house has kept the collection in a little matchbox along with some hair from the first hair cut.
    The match box is covered in wrapping paper and sits on a shelf alongside the first pair of shoes.

My kids only ever got 50p, but this was eclipsed by the tiny little note the Tooth Fairy had written, thanking them for their lovely shiny tooth! They absolutely loved those letters - you should have seen me giving myself eyestrain trying to write the teeny words!
    Originally posted by louisajoyce
    Our tooth fairy also wrote letters.

I think kids accept that different tooth fairies behave differently, after all they are swallowing the whole idea of the tooth fairy.

One of the kid's friends reported that they had a religious tooth fairy that didn't visit on the sabbath, that was believed. Us parents translated it to mean the parent was too drunk to remember/ deliver.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,095Posts Today

8,027Users online

Martin's Twitter