Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dontone
    • By dontone 23rd Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    • 4,668Posts
    • 15,582Thanks
    dontone
    0 WOW
    Off to Paris. Any hints & tips please.
    • 23rd Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Off to Paris. Any hints & tips please. 23rd Apr 19 at 2:35 PM
    As the title of the thread says, myself & Mr Dontone are spending a few days in Paris next month.
    Obviously Notre Dame is out (but I think there is a nice looking church nearby, but can't remember the name of it). and we are doing the Effiel Tower, & planning to go to the Louvre.
    Anybody got any hints & tips while we are there please?. We were wondering if there any must visit places, and decent places that you'd recommend to eat or shop. and what the public transport system is like.
    We did Barca & Rome last year, so know about the pickpockets, lucky, lucky men etc, so we know to keep our wits about us too.
    Thanks muchly in advance.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
Page 1
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 23rd Apr 19, 2:45 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 23rd Apr 19, 2:45 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 2:45 PM
    If you are using public transport, dont fall into the trap of buying the rip-off Paris Visite travel ticket.
    Sort yourself out a photo before you go, and visit a ticket office and buy the Navigo Decourvert, essentially the Paris version of an Oyster card

https://www.transilien.com/en/page-editoriale/using-the-navigo-decouverte-card

Only €22.80 to cover all zones for a "week" (Monday through Sunday) on all trams, Metro, RER and buses. If your journey covers just one week then this is a bargain, obviously if you are going Saturday through Tuesday (as an example) it may not work out so cheap.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 23rd Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 15,582 Thanks
    dontone
    • 23rd Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    If you are using public transport, dont fall into the trap of buying the rip-off Paris Visite travel ticket.
    Sort yourself out a photo before you go, and visit a ticket office and buy the Navigo Decourvert, essentially the Paris version of an Oyster card

https://www.transilien.com/en/page-editoriale/using-the-navigo-decouverte-card

Only €22.80 to cover all zones for a "week" (Monday through Sunday) on all trams, Metro, RER and buses. If your journey covers just one week then this is a bargain, obviously if you are going Saturday through Tuesday (as an example) it may not work out so cheap.
    Originally posted by bradders1983

Going Sunday till Thursday, so this will probably be the best option. We do use the Metro/underground quite a bit when we go on city breaks (as well as a ton of walking, which we never learn from) so that will come in handy.
    Great. Thanks very much
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 23rd Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 13,308 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 23rd Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    As always, get hold of a guide book. Anyway, some thoughts:

Public transport: remember that the buses are pretty good and obviously offer far better views than the Metro (and you don't have to deal with all the steps between street and platform). If you arrive at CDG and take the RER into town, there is a long walk between RER and Metro platforms at Gare du Nord, so a different interchange station might be better. And walking around Paris is generally very pleasant, with distances between attractions being surprisingly short.

The Eiffel Tower costs less if you are willing to use the stairs rather than the lifts. You may not consider it worth paying the extra to go all the way to the top: the view is better from the lower two floors. Allow enough time for the entertainment that is provided: when I went up there was a skating rink and cinematic museum halfway up, all free (or included in the entrance ticket). If your main interest is an aerial view of the city, you would do better with the view from Sacre Coeur in Montmartre or from the roof of the Arc de Triomphe.

Do NOT attempt to buy a ticket at the entrance to the Louvre, since the queues are insane. There are many other places where you can buy the ticket without waiting. And check out what is in the museum and what you want to see: many art-lovers prefer visiting the Musee d'Orsay, for instance.

If you want to visit the palace at Versailles, it is worth paying extra for the private tour so that you bypass the long queues for entry.
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    • 20,662 Posts
    • 122,778 Thanks
    maman
    • 23rd Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    I'd take a boat trip along the Seine which has a commentary. And go out to Montmartre, good view from Sacre Coeur and interesting seeing the artists. I liked the restaurants there too. Galeries Lafayette is worth a visit. It's an upmarket department store but the building is beautiful. I like Versailles too if you enjoy stately homes.
    Last edited by maman; 23-04-2019 at 9:34 PM.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 23rd Apr 19, 10:12 PM
    • 3,728 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 23rd Apr 19, 10:12 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 10:12 PM
    If you want a view of Paris from up high that includes the Eiffel Tower, then montparnasse tower is the way to go. It's essentially just a tall building with a bar at top.

I would definitely recommend the hop on hop off Seine cruise. I used it for 'commuting' around the tourist areas when I wasn't in a rush.

Also Musee D'Orsay - Van gogh's works are on display here as well as the building itself being an old train station and it looks awesome. I would preorder Louvre tickets, and I would visit it at night when it's closed as the lighting is stunning, I would take a few photos there.

Le Jardin de Luxenburg are gorgeous gardens if you want to have a wonder around any green spaces.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 24th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 24th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    • 24th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    Going Sunday till Thursday, so this will probably be the best option. We do use the Metro/underground quite a bit when we go on city breaks (as well as a ton of walking, which we never learn from) so that will come in handy.
    Great. Thanks very much
    Originally posted by dontone
    Just be aware that the "week" on the ticket runs Monday through Sunday and that is non-negotiable, so just use normal daily tickets on the Sunday and then buy the ticket on Monday. Think the picture size requirements are slightly different to passport size, a Google should bring up more info.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 24th Apr 19, 5:22 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 15,582 Thanks
    dontone
    • 24th Apr 19, 5:22 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 5:22 PM
    Just be aware that the "week" on the ticket runs Monday through Sunday and that is non-negotiable, so just use normal daily tickets on the Sunday and then buy the ticket on Monday. Think the picture size requirements are slightly different to passport size, a Google should bring up more info.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    That's ok. We will be arriving Sunday afternoon, so it will be a case of pottering around for the rest of the day and then get tickets on Monday morning.
    Thanks for the tip

• PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 25th Apr 19, 9:44 AM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 9,506 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 25th Apr 19, 9:44 AM
    • 25th Apr 19, 9:44 AM
    Much of central Paris is easily done on foot providing the weather is alright.

I worked on rue du Faubourg St Honore in the 18th Arrondissement for 4 years in the 1990s, living just outside the Peripherique at Le Vesinet.

A couple of places worth seeing off the well beaten Tourist Trails are the Paris Sewers, and The Catacombs, both on the Left Bank. The Sewers is a great experience, no smells, and a great insight as to how Paris has evolved over the centuries.

I used to love lunchtimes just wandering around people watching.
    • joebob
    • By joebob 25th Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    joebob
    we did a free walking tour last summer excellent guide very informative lasts a couple of hours and at the end you can give them a tip if you want to . There are many walks to choose from we did one that started at the opera house and finished near the champs elleyse. walkingtours.com
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 25th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Have a nice walk up the champs elise (sp?) up to the arc du triomph and get a crepe of the street vendor there - they are awesome ..

Nutella and sliced banana - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • AHAR
    • By AHAR 25th Apr 19, 11:32 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    AHAR
    Hi, A couple of places I enjoyed going for a wander were the Promenade plant!e which is a linear park along the viaduct of an old railway line, and Père Lachaise Cemetery which is very atmospheric.
    • Mariobug25
    • By Mariobug25 27th Apr 19, 7:12 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 3,380 Thanks
    Mariobug25
    I hope neither of you need lifts there is barely any!! We were having to lug a buggy up and down tons of flights of stairs!!! Any you do find will be broken !!!!

Eiffel Tower is a must but don’t expect to go up on the slot you book. We booked for 1pm slot but we’re still queuing to go up at 3....
    Sorry didn’t rate Paris much at all! :/ seems unable to handle the tourism imo
    • El8482
    • By El8482 27th Apr 19, 10:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    El8482
    I’ve been to Paris on several occasions and studied in Paris as well, and let me tell you: each time was different. Despite spending a decent amount of time in Paris I still haven’t seen everything and I also made a few mistakes on the way. So it is very nice that you preparing before going there. Good luck
    • martindow
    • By martindow 28th Apr 19, 1:51 PM
    • 8,297 Posts
    • 4,859 Thanks
    martindow
    Obviously Notre Dame is out (but I think there is a nice looking church nearby, but can't remember the name of it).
    I would still go to Notre Dame as the facade is intact if they allow you to go to the square in front of it. Sainte Chapelle may be the church you are thinking of which is on the same island. Again I've no idea whether access is still limited.

Other impressive churches are Saint Sulpice near the Luxembourg Gardens and Saint Germain des Pres both on the left bank and Saint Eustache near les Halles. No charges for any of these, nor were there for Notre Dame (compare and contrast with British cathedrals!).
    • dontone
    • By dontone 29th Apr 19, 1:40 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 15,582 Thanks
    dontone
    I would still go to Notre Dame as the facade is intact if they allow you to go to the square in front of it. Sainte Chapelle may be the church you are thinking of which is on the same island. Again I've no idea whether access is still limited.

Other impressive churches are Saint Sulpice near the Luxembourg Gardens and Saint Germain des Pres both on the left bank and Saint Eustache near les Halles. No charges for any of these, nor were there for Notre Dame (compare and contrast with British cathedrals!).
    Originally posted by martindow
    We were going to have a wander there just to see the facade. It's a shame that the fire happened as although we aren't religious, we like going into places like that for the history.
    I'm surprised that there is no charge for any of the other churches, and I like that. Over here, the prices are outrageous. I do think that there shouldn't be a charge to visit a place of worship. If you want to make a small donation, that should suffice.

Thanks for all the tips so far everybody.
    And we don't need to use any lifts (might come in useful on the third day, mind lol).
    We are going to have a look at booking some tickets online like we did for Rome & Barca as it's so much easier to do it that way.
    Thanks again.

• hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 30th Apr 19, 6:57 AM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Sacre-Cœur is amazing as is the area around it. Also if arriving by Euro Star don't get conned by the meet and greets in the station for cabs they're all rip off merchants. If you want a cab go to the rank itself or better still use public transport.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 30th Apr 19, 9:07 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Ganga
    We were going to have a wander there just to see the facade. It's a shame that the fire happened as although we aren't religious, we like going into places like that for the history.
    I'm surprised that there is no charge for any of the other churches, and I like that. Over here, the prices are outrageous. I do think that there shouldn't be a charge to visit a place of worship. If you want to make a small donation, that should suffice.

Thanks for all the tips so far everybody.
    And we don't need to use any lifts (might come in useful on the third day, mind lol).
    We are going to have a look at booking some tickets online like we did for Rome & Barca as it's so much easier to do it that way.
    Thanks again.
    We visited Durham Cathederal and there was no charge.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Apr 19, 1:14 PM
    • 20,662 Posts
    • 122,778 Thanks
    maman
    We visited Durham Cathederal and there was no charge.
    Originally posted by Ganga

That's unusual. The cathedral closest to us charges £8.50 admission and say on their website that they receive no funding from the Church??? The next closest charges £7.50 but say it's a recommended donation so not sure how aggressively they look for them.

That's for people visiting as an historic site though. Anyone can attend a service (several each day) free of charge.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 30th Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    • 13,308 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002

The problem is the parties of foreign language students, taken to visit cathedrals as part of the package that the language school provides. As matters stands, the language school pays the entrance fee and obviously this is passed on to the parents. If it were a requested donation instead, virtually none of the teenage language students would give anything.

There are usually loopholes to the entrance fees: I know that Exeter cathedral does not charge fees for entrance during the final hour of each day, and probably there are similar policies at other cathedrals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,418Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter