Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Niera
    • By Niera 13th Apr 19, 3:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Setting up a trust
    • #1
    • 13th Apr 19, 3:58 PM
    Setting up a trust 13th Apr 19 at 3:58 PM
    Hi, I was wondering has anyone successfully set up.a.vulnetablt.adults trust fo themselves? I'm struggling to advice.

    I have approached STEP, Unbiased, for help from IFAs and Solicitors, but so far no one can assist me or advise me.

    My them.

    Hi I have been awarded 20K from a CICA claim in February 18th 2019 for historical child abuse. I'm classed as a vulnerable adult due to my mental illness. I'm currently receive ESA, and Housing Benefits. I've been advised by my Citizens Advice Bureau advisor to put my money into a trust for Vulnerable persons, because I have 52 weeks from the date of the award to place in a trust. After the 52 weeks, my benefits will consider my award as savings and income is over 16K. I have 2 of my good friends who are willing to act as my trustees. I'd like a solicitor to help me set up my trust please and advise my on the situation of my benefits after 52 weeks. Many thanks, Miss Thomas

    N16 6JB

    I'm also SMI.:
Page 1
    • Friday1989
    • By Friday1989 13th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    I used Nestor a few years ago. It cost something like 600 and didn't take long at all.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Apr 19, 7:32 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 4,464 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Apr 19, 7:32 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Apr 19, 7:32 PM
    Just to clarify (and I'm not being unkind here) but you want to put the 20k into a trust so that in 52 weeks time you won't lose benefits?
    Why not just use some of the money e.g to replace household items? If after 12 months you have over 6k but less than 16k you will lose some income related benefits not all of them.
    If you are not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.
    • rayofhope123
    • By rayofhope123 8th May 19, 12:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th May 19, 12:02 AM
    • #4
    • 8th May 19, 12:02 AM
    Hi Venison,

    Apologies for the late reply, I did not receive any notification that my post had been replied to last month.

    Thank you for your response. I'm trying my best to be rational and logical, and I hve to agree with you to upgrade old household items I've had since 2005, and maybe even treat myself.

    I guess because I've been on benefits for so long I wonder how I'll cope paying my bills.

    But I'm due to graduate from University in April 2020, so hopefully being on benefits will be a thing of the past for me.

    Thank you for your insight, and don't worry you weren't being unkind, just honest.
    • rayofhope123
    • By rayofhope123 8th May 19, 12:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • #5
    • 8th May 19, 12:04 AM
    • #5
    • 8th May 19, 12:04 AM
    Hi Friday1989,

    Thank you for your recommendation. Apologies for the late response but I wasn't notified that there had been a response to my post.

    Miss Thomas
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,734Posts Today

7,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

  • RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

  • RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

  • Follow Martin