Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 27th Mar 19, 12:45 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 552Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Venturing Out of the Vault (of Debt)
    • 27th Mar 19, 12:45 PM
    Venturing Out of the Vault (of Debt) 27th Mar 19 at 12:45 PM
    Hi all. After a suggestion to start a diary in my first thread here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5983080

I have decided to start a diary to both motivate myself and record achievements (and errors) in my journey to debt free-ness. First off, some may notice on the original thread that the debt figure has increased to what I originally posted. Hold off on the wagging fingers people, I haven't spent more on credit, I had simply put what was left to pay on my loan account and missed off adding in the other debts (it's been edited to reflect the true figure now). This hasn't changed my debt free target date (I simply read the wrong line of my spreadsheet)

Anyway, to the figures. Debts remaining as of 27/3/2019:
    HSBC personal loan: 21,212.36p
    Barclaycard: 3432.24p (currently on a 0% deal and aiming to clear before the end of this)
    HSBC Advance Overdraft: 800
    Total Debt Remaining: 25,444.60p

As I said in the original thread, this figure has come down from around 30,000 (I don't have exact figures because my new-found organisational prowess had not yet developed, not that it matters too much now).
    Now the rambling. After the fantastic advice received from various posters (in particular Sanctioned Parts List, shout out ) I have decided to curtail the emergency fund saving and use the money to pay down debts instead. The Barclay card has a 4000 limit so there is a buffer there in the event of an emergency. in the event of no emergency, the debt is paid quicker. MATHS!
    This diary will be about facts, figures and general ramblings to keep myself motivated and on track. Comments are most welcome, and if anyone spots me being financially stupid or has suggestions to make this process better, please feel free to speak up and chastise/congratulate/educate.

Today: After a late rise after night shift, and several strong coffees, have sat down and worked through online banking and spreadsheets. The spreadsheets match the bank to within 2p WIN DW salary is paid tomorrow so have "tidied" what's left in the spends account and paid the princely sum of 11.66 towards the Barclaycard. Tomorrow will pay another 50 off the overdraft (they only let you reduce in a minimum of 50 increments ). The budget is set for the next 2 weeks (until I get paid again) and all is looking positive. My payday is when most of the DFW action happens so tune in then for more edge of the seat, debt busting action!

Todays ramblings: Is it sad that I eagerly await wages? Not to spend, spend, spend anymore, but to pay another chunk of debt off and watch the spreadsheet figure tumble? It's become almost like a game now. Since the LBM I have a different view of life. I now see that having the latest of everything is actually pointless for the most part. For example, part of the long standing debt is an iPhone from years ago. I "had" to have it. The phone is long dead but the debt is still there, bundled amongst the other pounds borrowed for instant gratification. I spent last Saturday playing with the kids in the sunshine and had free cake (with vouchers) and made a homemade "takeaway" for tea. Total spend 0 (aside from the obvious shopping bill earlier in the month but let's not get picky ). We had a fantastic day and the memories and photographs from such a simple thing will last forever. Maybe our parents weren't old and boring, maybe, just maybe, they were right all along...……...
    Last edited by Pip Boy 111; 28-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Page 4
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 18th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    So............

Today is a good day. The loan capital from FD came in and the first thing I did was to ring HSBC and pay off that loan with the horrible interest rate.
    Because a DD payment went out between applying and getting the loan I've actually ended up with a bit left over. No matter this has been put to good use. First up, another 150 off the OD. This is now down to 350 and will be gone as of payday next month

Next was a payment to the CC. Confession to keep myself accountable This was cut up. I ordered a replacement. Fear not. I haven't returned to old ways. The card is not kept in the wallet and is kept tucked away so that it is a conscious decision to use it. My reasoning is that whenever we make a purchase online of any value I can use this for the protection it affords and immediately repay the balance from the cash in the current account. This is what the repayment was. Anyway, this was to be repaid anyway from the current account but that cash will now be put aside as a mini emergency fund as all debt is now low/no interest. I suppose it doesn't matter which way round you look at it, either the spare loan cash has been put to the CC or the emergency fund and the cash we already had vice versa. Either way same result, but wanted to write down the reasoning for having the card back in the spirit of honesty and accountability (and to gauge opinions on having it ).

As you can see from the updated signature, this has saved us a FORTUNE and sped up the debt free process no end. All because of a bit of elbow grease combined with a speculative application and phone call.

off to use the snowball calculator now to see what our projected debt free date might be. SO HAPPY
    Debts 14/6/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: 900/0 Barclaycard: 3755.55/2859.42 Loan: 21620.29/17997.19
    Total 26275.84 20856.61 (REDUCED BY 20.62%)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Apr 19, 10:25 PM
    • 8,567 Posts
    • 19,877 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I saw your post on the pensions board and thought I would wander over to your diary. Some great debt busting has been going on over the last few weeks and a great result getting the FD loan at the headline rate. Seems you have had a real LBM and got very real with budgeting etc so well done on that.

Good that the overdraft is almost gone. I also completely agree with you about being in control of your finances leading to a more positive,calm and happier state of mind. Keep up the good work and before you know it you will be debt free and finding the right balance between FIRE and making the best of your money right now.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 19th Apr 19, 4:56 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Thanks for stopping by and reading my ramblings on life!

Not much to report today. Everything is in order. The sun is out and it's very warm. Sat with beer in hand in the garden (budgeted for and bought from aldi).

Life is good. Have a great bank holiday everyone
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 19th Apr 19, 7:06 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Just followed ES over. You’re doing brilliantly. Well done. Am loving the complete u turn you’ve done over living with debt. It’s impressive and great to see. My LBMs have flickered and off until now when I have decided I just can’t live with it anymore so I am going all out to get rid of it (again) but with you, no chance you were on this from the off

Have a great weekend

Brizzle
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 37% May 25% April 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 301/750 June Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 40/80; LSDs 04/10; NSDs xx/05 Exercise in June RT 12k 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 20th Apr 19, 12:30 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Thanks Brizzle. Always nice to hear from people (and to know that someone actually reads my ramblings! )

Today:
    Little bit of an annoyance in that my bills account can't be switched to FD until May. No biggie, just wanted it done and dusted and forgotten about, but hey ho.
    All quiet again on the debt busting front. All the accounts are quietly ticking away by themselves and everything is sorted until DW gets paid and more payments can be made towards debt free nirvana
    With all that in mind, and with the weather being absolutely glorious, we're having friends over for drinks in the garden today (sounds posh eh? It isn't. Most likely will descend into drunken anarchy ) p.s. please drink responsibly
    Beer has been stocked from Aldi (a bazillion times cheaper than going out to a beer garden) and whilst there stocked up on frozen pizzas for the inevitable munchies later on (69p! and they're tasty).
    Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday weather. CHEERS
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 23rd Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    So the drinking in the garden went *ahem* well.

Been busy doing outdoorsy things with the family and generally enjoying this awesome weather. Nothing much to report spending wise. Really pleased we set a budget for our little garden party and managed to stick to it.
    Everyone's had a great time in the sunshine and it's been like being on holiday, even though we haven't really left the street.
    Really hammers home the fact about memories not costing a penny. Back to reality today though. Back at work and it's far too hot to be wearing overalls
    Debt wise all is quiet. This is a good sign. No surprises, no nasty shocks, everything as it should be. I could get used to this calmness around money.
    Need to go see a second hand bike at some point this week. Nice and cheap and will save even more on fuel for the already low petrol budget. If this works out, I'm considering reducing to one car, but not making any rash decisions until I've given it a try on a wet, windy November morning

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather.
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 25th Apr 19, 8:43 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    A few hours off before night shift and I plan to use it productively.

This morning have swapped the overdraft from HSBC to First Direct due to the 250, 0% that they offer. The OD will be gone in 20 days time, but this will save a little bit of interest in that time. I know I've just swapped the debt to another bank on a lower rate for now, but as of right now I have 0 of borrowing with HSBC for the first time in nearly 15 years A small psychological win.

Have been messing with my spreadsheet for the next few months bills, and once the OD is gone next payday, we can then plough roughly 500 p/m into the CC, meaning that should be gone in a few months. We could do it a lot quicker, but this would require cutting back to the bare minimum and this isn't part of my "balanced" philosophy.

Hopefully around September we will just be left with the (now much cheaper) loan to pay down. At this point, all the snowballed payments from the OD and CC will be available to use. My plan here is to use roughly half of those payments to overpay the loan and half to stash away to start building a 6 month emergency pot. Again, the loan could be gone quicker if I put it all towards it, but this way the loan is not, now, an expensive drain and with the interest being a few pence over 1000 if it were to go to term, i'm more than happy to overpay by less to have an emergency fund. Fag packet calculations show that this method means we will pay under 700 total interest for the credit. I'm happy with this for two reasons.
    1) It's MUCH lower than what we were looking at originally(over 8000 in interest originally).
    2) It allows us to achieve a balance of paying the debt quickly and more cheaply AND to start building savings for an emergency pot (this excites me as we've never really had "proper" savings).

That's quite enough maths for this time of the morning. Off to be DFW by batch cooking something from scratch (cooking is becoming a bit of a hobby lately ). Then it's boring housework-y type stuff, then chill out before work.
    Hopefully this plan is solid and will see us right. Unbelievable that this all seems so clear and do-able when, this time last year we were bumbling along not really having a clue. Organisation
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 26th Apr 19, 11:24 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Up and about after night shift and feeling down today. No idea why, just feel like the weight of the world is pressing down on me. May just be lack of proper sleep as there's really not much logical reason to be feeling glum

Paid another 50 off the OD Down to 300 and will be gone in T- 19 days. All my spreadsheets are up to date and correct. FD switch is all set up and ready to go (got a letter from both banks today confirming). Last night shift tonight then off until next Friday.

So, yeah, really no reason to be down in the dumps at all. Maybe a good shake and a walk in this terrible wet, windy weather will blow the blues away.
    • Sanctioned Parts List
    • By Sanctioned Parts List 26th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Sanctioned Parts List
    Just checking in, as I ignored you (and everybody else) while on home leave Well done on the FD loan transfer, and looks like you have a solid plan for clearing the rest off

• Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 26th Apr 19, 12:18 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Just checking in, as I ignored you (and everybody else) while on home leave Well done on the FD loan transfer, and looks like you have a solid plan for clearing the rest off
    Originally posted by Sanctioned Parts List
    Thanks. Hope you enjoyed your home leave. Did you get that beer in the end?
    • Sanctioned Parts List
    • By Sanctioned Parts List 26th Apr 19, 12:24 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Sanctioned Parts List
    Up and about after night shift and feeling down today. No idea why, just feel like the weight of the world is pressing down on me. May just be lack of proper sleep as there's really not much logical reason to be feeling glum
    Originally posted by Pip Boy 111
    I get that a lot. To some extent, I think it's a case that, even though everything's paid off I'm still in thrall to the nagging voice saying "what if...?"

• Sanctioned Parts List
    • By Sanctioned Parts List 26th Apr 19, 12:25 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Sanctioned Parts List
    Did you get that beer in the end?
    Originally posted by Pip Boy 111
    The very moment the wheels left the tarmac

• Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 27th Apr 19, 12:02 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    The very moment the wheels left the tarmac
    Originally posted by Sanctioned Parts List
    Excellent

Not much going on debt wise today. Up and about off last night shift and physically done in, so it's a day of pottering, telly and computer based things for me. All the accounts tally with the spreadsheet so job done there! It's still strange not having some sort of crisis or urgent financial matter to attend to. It's great but I'm that used to fighting financial fires, it's almost like something is missing now

Have been SERIOUSLY researching my pension fund (nice to spend time looking at future plans and saving, rather than debts) and spending some time on the pensions board. After much research, reading and advice over on the pension board I have taken some decisions to (hopefully) get us towards the FIRE part of our lives earlier (he says touching wood, fingers crossed and praying to all the gods, jedi knights and anyone else who might be there )
    The figures on paper, the advice and the logic all make sense, but there's something mystical about pensions that make even small decisions seem like world changing events
    Anyhow, decision made, fund changes submitted, now to try not to check it every 5 minutes

DFW wise, it's a day of the basics. Meals from stores (must use up some sorry looking veg in the fridge). Speaking of the fridge, our new list based shopping strategy seems to be working. Everything is starting to look decidedly empty now. This is good. We're using what we buy instead of throwing away that "special" thing we bought that looked good but didn't get eaten. Less waste, less spent. WIN

Rubbish weather today. hard to believe only a week ago it was sunburn in the garden weather. Ah well. Chilled out day, not moving far from the sofa and trying to NOT think about money in it's various forms (owed or saved).

Have a good day all
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 28th Apr 19, 1:13 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Shopping day

Absolutely smashed it! Had a budget of 60 and a list. Braved the weekend masses (working shifts allows me to shop at quieter times most of the time) and the grand total came in at 57.40p very pleased. I'm getting good at this. Even managed a couple of craft beers as a treat for later when watching the F1

Cleaned the kitchen, the windows AND a stained shirt with white vinegar. Seriously, this stuff is amazing and, weirdly, i like the smell of vinegar

Weather is back to being acceptable so the munchkins are outside playing and happy.

The happy vibes are everywhere in Pip Land today

Have a great Sunday all
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 29th Apr 19, 10:54 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Slight surprise today.

My bills current account switch to FD is happening as we speak. It's a surprise because, although this is the date i asked for, i was told it would be May No big deal, and if anything, it's better for me. I can get my switching bonus sooner

Had a quick tot up of the spreadsheet and it comes in within a couple of quid to reality. One day i will get it bang on But a great month again, budgeting wise. We've had fun too, with half term and what not, so we're not living like paupers and we're still making massive holes in the debts. Very pleased with my new found organisation

I have been spending time on the pensions board recently and picking up some good advice re: my company pension and other strategies for an early retirement. This is excellent, but it really rams home how debt doesn't just cost money. It also costs you opportunity and time.
    For example, if I wasn't overpaying debts by a large amount, I would have all that cash spare to pump into retirement savings (ISAs, pension, investments etc). Plus we would still have a little more left over to live for the now. I have played with calcs and figures and the debt i'm paying now, put into a pension or S+S ISA would have dropped retirement age by a significant amount of years. This is now what is making me more angry at younger me. Don't get me wrong. This isn't a woe is me post, just a reminder to myself that I have cost myself (us) the opportunity to get started earlier and be able to leave the rat race sooner, whilst still being able to afford a comfortable lifestyle. Still, lesson learned, albeit later than is sensible. Pretty much demolishes any thought of EVER building up silly debts again though, so every cloud.

Other than that, it's a lovely day here. Washing is out drying (because it's cheaper than the drier ), batch cooking will commence later, windows cleaned with white vinegar (and a window vac, bought on sale many moons ago, well worth the money ), banking all up to date, spreadsheets are up to date (and a thing of beauty ), pensions in hand, future strategy looking good. Not a bad mornings work.

Have a great day all

EDIT: forgot to mention the most important job of the day. have removed the sky box from the living room and replaced with the freesat box Number 1 priority for the day (as delegated by the boss) was to make DOUBLY sure that the soaps are on series link
    Last edited by Pip Boy 111; 29-04-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 30th Apr 19, 9:21 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Nothing much to report today, financially. One of those "dead" days. Nothing in or out.

In other news, I will be mostly being a lumberjack today. A tree needs removing so I get to play with a chainsaw (borrowed). TIMBEEEEERRR!!!
    • poppytattoo
    • By poppytattoo 30th Apr 19, 10:42 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    poppytattoo
    Hi Pip!

Not stopped by in a while, just wanted to say hello and well done on everything in recent weeks, looks like you're smashing it!!
    Debt-free wannabe since January 2018.
    Car repayments: 12986.46/15895.40, Credit card:4496.32/5000, Dental fees:972/ 1558, HSBC dc loan:7662.76 /11767.81, HSBC overdraft:5000/5000
    Total debt: was 39220.58, now 31,414.53

Make 5 a day in May challenge: 44/155
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 30th Apr 19, 1:18 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Hi Pip!

Not stopped by in a while, just wanted to say hello and well done on everything in recent weeks, looks like you're smashing it!!
    Originally posted by poppytattoo
    Thanks Poppy.
    Took a long time to get to this point, rather than muddling through and not really paying attention to our finances. Better late than never though eh?

Now about this cashback on takeaway..........
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 2nd May 19, 8:32 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Starting feel like a bit of fraud, posting in DFW.

I've been reading a few diaries the last couple of nights and have read some truly inspiring, heartbreaking and harrowing stories. Stories that make my own seem like nothing, like a minor bump in the road compared to what some people are going through. It's actually making me feel a bit guilty posting my situation, when I have things under control and have the means to change things around, and others are in true need of help. I only hope i can help in some small way, as others here have graciously taken the time to help me.

I know I have worked hard, tried to educate myself on finances (both debt and future plans), and taken the time to do some things that, maybe weren't fun or desirable, but needed to be done. This still doesn't dampen the feeling that, maybe, my posts can be seen as a boast or a brag to some who are not as lucky as me. I hope not. It's not what i intended my posts to be.

Back to debt busting. Account switch is complete (early??) and shouldn't be too long until the switching bonus is paid. I'd forgotten about this in my budget, so that's an extra 100 towards the CC balance

In terms of budgeting, we've still a bit left over from last months budget thanks to some frugal shopping and using up what's left, rather than buying more and ignoring the leftover veg in the fridge. This is great as, every day we still have last months spends left, is another day of not using this months budget. Hopefully this will snowball and leave us with some extra to pay towards the CC at the end of the month.
    In terms of long term goals and targets, I now have my sights firmly set on opening a S+S ISA once the debts are gone and that money is available. This has given my target based brain something concrete to aim for. This is now the prize and has made it even more real that, if we really knuckle down and become debt free, the prize is not having to work until we're skeletons

I know i ramble a lot about the mental effects of debt and today is no different
    Since having a LBM and putting in the work to try and track and control everything we spend, it's like a fog has lifted. Things have become clearer. Future plans that seemed like fantasy are actually revealing themselves to be achievable (not guaranteed by any means). Bills are now payable from our own cash, rather than credit (looking at you car insurance and service), and plans of retiring before the age of 101 (once thought, by me, to be the reserve of the super wealthy) are now a shiny medal at the end of the marathon. The reason? Control and organisation. That is really all that's changed in the last year. If anything, we actually earn less now than last year, with DW re training and following her dream of a career in education, rather than a dull 9-5 waiting tables. Shows how wasteful we were, and that, with a bit of nouse and hard work, you CAN achieve your goals. Even if that goal is just to be less stressed around money, or to be more in control, or to appreciate the simpler things in life rather than the consumer based "must haves". Being a part of this family of forumites has done more than give me practical money advice. It has given me an appreciation and understanding that, whatever the adverts say, or Dave in the other office says, appreciating the area you live in, the memories being made with the kids and wife or the unplanned day at the beach with no money in your pocket is far more important than having the cash to buy the latest phone that makes you a cup of tea whilst having 60000 filters to touch up your instagram pics

Ramble over. Feeling reflective and philosophical today!
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 3rd May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Another 100 off the overdraft today. Just 200 to go

Not much else to report really. Work day, so it's basically get in, get something to eat chill for an hour or two, then bed before getting up again at 4am. All meals were from stocks today (as usual with work these days ) and no monies have been spended .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter