Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ABRDF
    • By ABRDF 23rd Mar 18, 4:00 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 15Thanks
    ABRDF
    Tandem Bank credit card woes
    • 23rd Mar 18, 4:00 AM
    Tandem Bank credit card woes 23rd Mar 18 at 4:00 AM
    Hi

My partner and I waited for 3 months on the wait list to get Tandemís credit card offering of 0.5% cash back and no fee foreign transactions, because of Martinís recommendation.

After 2 months of use we are reviewing our decision, does anyone else have feed back, Tandem donít have a community site like Starling or Monzo or a ďTrustpilotĒ site and I canít see any feed back here, either good or bad!

Our findings:
    1- The app looks and feels old school, poorly designed, slow with little functionality..
    2- The app needs a new pin every two weeks and you have ring the customer service number in core hours of 8 till 6.
    3- The out of hours customer service is outsourced, and they have little understanding of the product and only deal with fraud or lost cards. They also appear to be reading from a script.
    4- The balances on the app are incorrect
    5- Refunds show but the balance is not updated
    6- Pre authorisation show in app but never drop off the app when not collected by the merchants
    7- Customer services are only Monday to Friday 8-6, they are friendly, but donít really understand the issues because their system transactions and balances are different from the app, you have to send screen shots to verify what your saying
    8- Paper statements, no online offering, statement balance not shown in app
    9- Account aggregation does not work with First Direct due to password issues in the app
    10- Missing transaction and transactions disappear from the app (balance stays the same)
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat
    13- Launching savings account when this product does not have fully functional and robust customer app / interface
    14- No in app notification of transaction
    15- Security setup when joining could not be complete the account pin request - still havenít been able to achieve this

When you do speak to the customer services team you do often get to speak with the same person which is a bonus, but they have to pass everything on. Very limited improvement in the app, itís functionality and appearance in two months, some problems they say should be fixed in the next two months some they donít have timescales, not all customers are have the same problems. I believe the developers should look to apps from Starling and Monzo to see great new world (fintech) banking apps, Tandems app looks, feels and offers the functionality of Lloydís Bank app 5 years ago.

Unlike Starlingís Anne Boden their CEO who answers tweets from customer with good and bad issues eve late at night, Ricky Knox the CEO of Tandem just BLOCKS YOU!!!

Your thoughts please, are we the only ones witnessing these issues? It would help us to decide to stay or go, 0.5% cash back is not enough to wade through the problems with Tandem, when we also have Clarity Cards and Monzo and Starling already.

Finally should Martins team be recommending Tandem in its current state. Has my mother would say Tandem is ďall fur coat and no knickersĒ!!!128514;
Page 10
    • jim1999
    • By jim1999 17th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    jim1999
    Trying to open an account, but not holding my breath.

An utterly painful experience in every way. I'm not sure 0.5% is enough for the pain.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 17th May 19, 8:43 PM
    • 6,063 Posts
    • 4,013 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Applied for the tandem credit card, 8 weeks on still waiting, what a joke
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • difficultguy
    • By difficultguy 21st May 19, 6:38 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    difficultguy
    I tend to agree with most of what you say about Tandem's rudimentary app, which is not acceptable when that is the only way to access your account. However I've not noticed any balance or refund discrepancies (I should check), and on my app (android) there is a chat function with reasonable response time within their limited working hours. Instant notification of transactions seems to work for me, usually at least. I was also surprised at the introduction of a savings account, trying to run before they can walk.

I have only needed to call them twice, answered quickly, about a technical problem accepting their offer at account opening, and to set up a direct debit. I'm prepared to see how it goes in the hope they can improve their app and facilities in general, but unless they can obtain sufficient investment to hire decent app developers and other staff I don't think it's going to work out for them.

Now if Starling Bank or Monzo Bank, with their excellent apps and system in general, launched a fee-free for overseas and cashback credit card, that would be perfect.
    Originally posted by eDicky

I have been using Tandem Credit Card for less then a month. I have already been charged fee for something other credit card never charged it before. When I contact with customer services, they are completely powerless and unable to help.

Now I have to stop using this card completely, as I am not sure what other hidden charges are applicable on this card.

I never heard of this company before I would NOT recommend this credit card to anyone
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 21st May 19, 7:17 PM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 3,108 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    A fee for what?
    A cash fee?
    Interest fee?

There are no hidden fees or costs with this card.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 21st May 19, 7:25 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 5,083 Thanks
    Zanderman
    I have been using Tandem Credit Card for less then a month. I have already been charged fee for something other credit card never charged it before. When I contact with customer services, they are completely powerless and unable to help.

Now I have to stop using this card completely, as I am not sure what other hidden charges are applicable on this card.

I never heard of this company before I would NOT recommend this credit card to anyone
    Originally posted by difficultguy
    As Gary says, fees for what? You need to be more specific.

I've been using Tandem almost daily for well over a year now.
    No hidden fees or charges.
    No complaints at all actually.

Were you using it to withdraw cash by any chance? All credit cards charge a fee for that.
    • difficultguy
    • By difficultguy 21st May 19, 9:09 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    difficultguy
    A fee for what?
    A cash fee?
    Interest fee?

There are no hidden fees or costs with this card.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

It's called Cash Advance Fee. I used this card to transfer money into overseas account. My previous card companies never charges this fee.

I was NOT give any sort of warning either.

Their customer service has little or no authority to help in these unexpected circumstances.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 22nd May 19, 8:29 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    dj1471
    It's called Cash Advance Fee. I used this card to transfer money into overseas account. My previous card companies never charges this fee.

Their customer service has little or no authority to help in these unexpected circumstances.
    Almost all credit cards charge for this. It was in the T&Cs you agreed to, I'd say that's ample warning.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 22nd May 19, 9:22 AM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 3,108 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter

Name one card that doesn't charge this. Please.

It would be in the T's and C's that you agree to.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 22nd May 19, 10:01 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Name one card that doesn't charge this. Please.

It would be in the T's and C's that you agree to.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    There are a couple that don't charge fees for cash advances, but they're not the norm. Maybe difficultguy was lucky enough to have one of them previously.
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 22nd May 19, 10:03 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    beany_bot
    There are a couple that don't charge fees for cash advances, but they're not the norm. Maybe difficultguy was lucky enough to have one of them previously.
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    What are they? I can't find any that wont charge.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 22nd May 19, 10:13 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Originally posted by beany_bot
    Halifax Clarity and Santander Zero are the two I am aware of.
    They both charge interest, of course, but neither charges a cash advance fee.
    • scragend
    • By scragend 22nd May 19, 10:14 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    scragend
    Originally posted by beany_bot
    Halifax Clarity doesn't charge a fee for cash withdrawals, but does charge interest on the cash from the date of withdrawal until paid off.
    • difficultguy
    • By difficultguy 22nd May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    difficultguy
    Almost all credit cards charge for this. It was in the T&Cs you agreed to, I'd say that's ample warning.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    I did NOT receive any notification prior to charges and it does scare me that this company can charge me whenever they want.

I have used few other credit cards, like Post Office etc, I have come across to these charges.....

It is a catch for people who dont read 50 pages of small print and there are NOT sufficient procedures to protect card users
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 22nd May 19, 7:28 PM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 3,108 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I did NOT receive any notification prior to charges and it does scare me that this company can charge me whenever they want.

I have used few other credit cards, like Post Office etc, I have come across to these charges.....

It is a catch for people who dont read 50 pages of small print and there are NOT sufficient procedures to protect card users

You did read prior notification in the Tís and Cís you clearly didnít read.

Put on your big boy pants and read things in future rather than blaming someone else for your mistakes
    • penners324
    • By penners324 23rd May 19, 11:42 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    penners324
    It clearly states in the t&cs that uk cash withdrawals are chargeable, overseas cash withdrawals are not chargeable.

Nearly every credit card on the market charges for cash withdrawals.

And they all charge interest from the date of withdrawal.

Been using Tandem for 16 months now without problem. Cashback paid on time as well.

Have even used it overseas!!
    • difficultguy
    • By difficultguy 23rd May 19, 9:38 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    difficultguy
    It clearly states in the t&cs that uk cash withdrawals are chargeable, overseas cash withdrawals are not chargeable.

Nearly every credit card on the market charges for cash withdrawals.

And they all charge interest from the date of withdrawal.

Been using Tandem for 16 months now without problem. Cashback paid on time as well.

Have even used it overseas!!
    Originally posted by penners324
    It was an overseas money transaction. I did NOT use this card to withdraw cash from any ATM machine. I did NOT get any prior warning about charges.

I used other credit cards, none of other cards charges me before. AS a customer I have a genuine concern that since this company does NOT have any warning system, therefore anyone can get charged without prior notification.

I am pretty sure that company can either remove these charges or reinstate fee warning system.

Its like putting the trust and protection of customer before profit.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 23rd May 19, 9:49 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    dj1471
    I am pretty sure that company can either remove these charges or reinstate fee warning system.
    Precisely zero cards have a "fee warning system", how could such a thing possibly work?

If it was a cash-like transaction in a foreign currency then Tandem don't charge fees for this, but they do charge interest. Sterling cash advances attract fees and interest. This is clearly stated on the website, in the FAQs, in the T&Cs and on every statement...
    • darroch
    • By darroch 24th May 19, 4:44 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    darroch
    Applied for a tandem cash back card last Friday but was referred for further checks. Not received any communication. How long do I have to wait from other people’s experience?
    • yams
    • By yams 24th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    yams
    I've been waiting for about 8 weeks now. They already did the credit check and I have a savings account with them so it can't be for ID. They said they have a backlog so expect to wait a while!
    • darroch
    • By darroch 24th May 19, 5:43 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    darroch
    I've been waiting for about 8 weeks now. They already did the credit check and I have a savings account with them so it can't be for ID. They said they have a backlog so expect to wait a while!
    Originally posted by yams
    8 weeks? thatís shocking! The guy at Tandem is going to get in touch with the relevant team. Donít know if thatíll make a difference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

765Posts Today

6,788Users online

Martin's Twitter