Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,688Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 135
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 24th May 19, 9:12 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,937 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Bordering on hoarding proportions?
    Originally posted by Towser
    Well, my Great Wall of China (Denby) didn't get the nickname by accident. I do deny hoarding - some bits were inherited & the Imperial Blue bought for domestic use (at the time, my hope chest) but the hunt & acquiz bit - well to the uninitiated it could look like hoarding. Just access to doors & windows remain clear. So far. Much.

Oh dear, ladies.
    I fear I've lost my mojo.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Say it ain't so - much more you've sharpened your judgement & the current chazzer fodder is just not up to scratch. Plus the medics haven't finished with you so can you honestly give All your attention to the hunt?

Miro! Where was this splendiferous soap? As we're away to Colne tomorrow & if I think there's a chance, I'll upend every cs in the county... If it smelt 'prettier', I might hope to find blocks as houses were cleared but I'm beginning to [reluctantly] accept the harsh realities.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 24th May 19, 9:31 PM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 61,252 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Nah, you're just chazzered out for a bit.
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    Hardly.
    I've only just started venturing out after 10 weeks of enforced feet up.

I think DFV has it right, just nothing to take my fancy.
    I do however have a pile of stuff to go to the hospice when I feel able to take my shopping trolley out.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 24th May 19, 9:42 PM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 61,252 Thanks
    Pollycat
    With all these charity shop bargains, do you find you have far more than you need or want? Bordering on hoarding proportions?
    I have a regular clear out and redonate the stuff I'm no longer bothered about.
    I don't think it would be practical to keep everything I buy indefinitely.
    I look on it a bit like a library:
    take something out, wear it a few times then return it.
    I have a varied wardrobe and the charities benefit.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 24th May 19, 9:51 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů

Oh dear, ladies.
    Oooooh nooooo! If you are anything like me, when I start to lose heart after a couple of fruitless weeks, all it takes is one splendiferous find to reignite my enthusiasm....'positive reinforcement' I think it's called

Well done on the cat tactics Miro - hope he will be a very contented puss now in his new bed.
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    Albert still refuses to use his new bed in my presence. However, last thing at night I make sure Ratty is ensconced in there, along with a few Dreamies and, strangely, the Dreamies have disappeared by morning, Ratty is the other side of the room covered in slobber and the thin layer of orange cat hair has got a little thicker in the bed. Very odd. I will need to use the Sellotape shortly.

Miro! Where was this splendiferous soap? As we're away to Colne tomorrow & if I think there's a chance, I'll upend every cs in the county... If it smelt 'prettier', I might hope to find blocks as houses were cleared but I'm beginning to [reluctantly] accept the harsh realities.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Twas in the community chazza in a place called Meanwood on the outskirts of Leeds. They had all sorts of the 'older' types of soaps (e.g. Pears, Knights Castile, Yardley's English Lavender)....looked as if someone had done a spot of bulk buying!! It was selling fast tho, especially the larger sizes.
    Last edited by Mirů; 24-05-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 24th May 19, 9:59 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    With all these charity shop bargains, do you find you have far more than you need or want? Bordering on hoarding proportions?

It is an addiction for me I admit....but hey ho....there are worse things to be addicted to and at least a charity benefits. I would feel worse buying loads of stuff from proper shops. Like Pollycat I feel as if I am just borrowing stuff temporarily as I do regularly have a clear out and re-donate. I can still see the floor tho and make my way to the cooker! The wardrobes and cupboards are a bit rammed tho at the mo.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 25th May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 42,163 Thanks
    dolly84
    From the sublime to the ridiculous today...

Had to go into the city to do a survey at our posh new John Lewis this morning so I had a chance to have a bit of a nosy round. Lovely shop but the prices!!!! I'm not very good at the undercover stuff, secretly taking photos and talking on video in various departments. I fully expected a hand on the shoulder with 'would Modom accompany me to the security office'. Anyhoo I got away with it, I think!

Then got the bus to my usual haunts....the local chazza shops. First off I found a longish black chiffon smocky top with long sleeves and a subtly jewelled neckline by Christelle (Greek company) for £2. Then I spotted a white linen skirt by Pomodoro with dark purple stylised flowers on, fully lined and with a 'flippy' hem, £3.75. Just as I was leaving I decided to try on a pair of Finn Karelia (Finnish make) trousers in a camel shade not expecting them to fit or look remotely good. They had a partly elasticated high waist and were a slim fit. Ooooh aren't trousers that actually fit into your waist comfy??? I had quite forgotten!!! So I ended up buying them for £1.75. Then finally in the bric a brac they had a big basket of new soaps so I ended up with 2 bath size bars of Cussons Imperial Leather for 15p each.
    Originally posted by Mir!

I know what you mean about the trousers, DD wears high waisted ones all the time and I recently bought a pair and it feels like I am in the trousers rather than spilling out over the top of them, very comfy.

Absolutely yes, it's crazy. I am like a woollens rehoming centre, I just need to get charity status and then I will be able to pay myself a salary for running it.

2 x dinosaurs to go in my Zebra childs dinosaur garden 50p each (worth gazillions more to him, bless him) and a cup for me that has oat and milk measures inside to make porridge for 1 in the microwave and as I am certainly part bear I LOVE PORRIDGE so that's another £1 well spent!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

I'm the same with porridge, I would happily eat it for 3 meals a day, I will be on the look out for one of those cups now.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 25th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,937 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    If you are anything like me, when I start to lose heart after a couple of fruitless weeks, all it takes is one splendiferous find to reignite my enthusiasm....'positive reinforcement' I think it's called
    I think my psych tutor called it the Vegas Effect as "variable ratio reinforcement schedules" whilst correct and harking straight back to Skinner, his rats & Operant Conditioning (ulp, but effective!) took a while to say & write whereas even the most insular students had (soon) heard of Vegas & (more importantly) could spell it.

Plus, (side order of neurochemistry alert), it's the wanting more than the liking that boosts dopamine production. It's released more often in anticipation that something might happen. Chemically you have more fun on cs the doorstep than you do holding your finds at the till. (I have absolutely no intention of letting a med student chase me with needles to test this, but if they wanted to demonstrate it with an ECG, blood pressure monitor & assorted boxes of Denby, they could sell tickets, So Long as I Kept The Denby.)

Finally (sorry, son doing exams recalled this from QI) you are likely to do better in exams if you have been chewing shortly before. Enhanced "mastication-induced arousal" is a Genuine Medical Thing, so if anyone wants to try a chewy mint (gum if you absolutely must) then cs hunting, I'd be intrigued to know.

We're not hoarders, as such. We're just driven by conditioning & arousal & other things not wholly within our control...
    • Towser
    • By Towser 25th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    Towser
    Oh dear, ladies.
    Had a very tentative walk around town today.
    4 charity shops and saw nothing that I'd even donate, let alone buy.
    Maybe I'm a lost cause.
    Yup sounds like me at this time of year. Therefore, do you think when the carboot sales start up, is there less stock (the good stuff) going to the chazzers? or do the demographics not affect it. What do you think?

We're not hoarders, as such. We're just driven by conditioning & arousal & other things not wholly within our control...
    Yup sounds like me, thank goodness I am not a hoarder then. The house is still functional just a little full.

Originally Posted by Mir! View Post
    If you are anything like me, when I start to lose heart after a couple of fruitless weeks, all it takes is one splendiferous find to reignite my enthusiasm....'positive reinforcement' I think it's called
    Yup sounds like me, too.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 25th May 19, 11:56 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    I think my psych tutor called it the Vegas Effect as "variable ratio reinforcement schedules" whilst correct and harking straight back to Skinner, his rats & Operant Conditioning (ulp, but effective!) took a while to say & write whereas even the most insular students had (soon) heard of Vegas & (more importantly) could spell it.

Plus, (side order of neurochemistry alert), it's the wanting more than the liking that boosts dopamine production. It's released more often in anticipation that something might happen. Chemically you have more fun on cs the doorstep than you do holding your finds at the till. (I have absolutely no intention of letting a med student chase me with needles to test this, but if they wanted to demonstrate it with an ECG, blood pressure monitor & assorted boxes of Denby, they could sell tickets, So Long as I Kept The Denby.)

Finally (sorry, son doing exams recalled this from QI) you are likely to do better in exams if you have been chewing shortly before. Enhanced "mastication-induced arousal" is a Genuine Medical Thing, so if anyone wants to try a chewy mint (gum if you absolutely must) then cs hunting, I'd be intrigued to know.

Somebody somewhere must have written a thesis on 'Intermittent Positive Reinforcement/Vegas Effect and charity shop shopping'
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th May 19, 12:26 PM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 61,252 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yup sounds like me at this time of year. Therefore, do you think when the carboot sales start up, is there less stock (the good stuff) going to the chazzers? or do the demographics not affect it. What do you think?
    As I posted earlier:
    I've only just started venturing out after 10 weeks of enforced feet up.
    so I think in all honesty, it was a half-hearted look rather than a serious 'I hope I find something nice'.

In previous years I'm pretty sure that start up of car boots hasn't had much effect on stock - or at least I've never noticed.
    I do think ebay has something to do with it.
    I'd guess that some shops might well list the higher end donated goods on there.

I started listing some of the stuff I would normally take to the hospice shop on ebay towards the end of last year and have just started listing again.
    I list for a week, let it run for 4 listings and if it's not sold by then, off to the hospice shop it goes.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 25th May 19, 1:29 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,937 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I couldn’t possibly be a hoarder. I’ve Walked Away from a Greenwheat teapot £4, a Whisper teapot £5 & a Dauphine coffee pot at £8 & am feeling shocked but virtuous. It can’t last!
    Did get a Langley brown coffee pot for a pound. Having walked past a dozen geeenwheat bowls & 2 butter dishes (I really am not a fan even if more discriminating collectors are!) and a Langley Lucerne teapot cups & saucers intrigue - for £12!
    Turned my back on more baroque - well £25 for 6 cups 5 saucers milk & sugar... (Denby galore in Skipton, just not at Aquiz Committee rates! I’m spoiled.)

Eyeballed a scarab occult terminator & thought I’d stick to the council as needed. (These warhammer models are fearsome pricey!)

Two foot by 18” square wooden trunk for £15 - beautifully dovetailed & hinged & with a neat catch & useful handles. Likely we’ll get the paint off then cosset the wood - pale but fine grained, not pine...

Now to go get the groceries as visiting Ma-in-law next 2 days... one son charmed as he hates charity shops & car boots as knows he’ll end up as pack animal & hasn’t mastered picking out his CDs...
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 25th May 19, 2:07 PM
    • 13,324 Posts
    • 182,959 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A brand new Eastex summer skirt with the labels still on it for £1 in the reduced section!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 25th May 19, 3:19 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Back after another satisfying day in market town charity-shop land. I've come to the conclusion that some of the charity shops there must be receiving 'high end'-ish stock from other stores or central stock - there is just too much of it for it to all have been donated in this one town. The BHF store in particular only seems to have 'labels' and quite a lot of new stuff mixed in with the donated. It was very busy, which is good news for BHF and for shoppers and the town.

So, on to my finds.

A cream cardigan by a brand called Marc Cain. I thought this looked excellent quality, and their own website suggests they retail for a lot of ££. https://www.marc-cain.com/en/Sale/Shop-Sale/Cardigans/ The cardigan I got was £5.49 and will be great for work at this time of year.

Next is a Noisy May jacket, bomber jacket style in black and white made out of a mesh material. Online research suggests this brand is for a much younger demographic than me. This is why I love CS shopping, though - I can try out things and see if they work without spending too much. Anyway, jacket will be great for spring evenings and was £5.99.

A Lipsy top for £3.99. Perhaps I overpaid a bit for this. For holiday, sheer back and gold, white and black pattern on the front.

A black Fabletics top. I'd never buy Fabletics new. This has a sheer top half and then yoga-clothing style material bottom half. I ummed and ahhed (I am 43, not 23!) but actually it will be perfect for wearing over a bikini on the beach. £4.99.

A pair of shorts for holiday. These are a brand called Jaded. Online research shows again for a MUCH younger demographic! Those of a nervous disposition should beware - there are bikini line shots here on their website that will make you gasp. The shorts are VERY noisy in pattern and colour, but a stylish cut and £3.49. As ever, I don't want to spend much on holiday clothes as it gets covered in sand and sun cream.

A grey and white-striped stretchy long-line cardigan for work. It has tan suede elbow patches and no label (grrr!). Was £4.99, great quality and fits beautifully.

Finally, a pied a Terre jacket. Very pale green, dry clean only, scalloped-edged colour. Really beautiful and light. Could do with a clean but is well-cut and smart. £5.99.

Oh - and a bag! By a brand called Borzoi and Catkin, whom I can find no trace of at all online. It is 19702 carpet-bag style, but I think brand new. No signs of wear. In a fluffy carpet-style material, mustard yellow and white.

The ones that got away: I tried on a Barbour jacket from the 'designer' rail of Ecco. It was a size 10 so a little tight, very smart and warm. But £39.99 is a lot of ££ so I would want it to fit perfectly, and it didn't. I was also tempted by a very pale pink lace top from Oasis. It had its tags still on - RRP £28, selling for £4. Very pretty, but I knew it would be too big for me even though it was allegedly a 'medium'.

Happy Bank holiday hunting! M100
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 25th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 11,619 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    4 x Rayware pasta bowls. Yellow and Green inside with blue rim. 99p for 4.

I could also have had 4 large or 3 small (with one chipped) matching plates if I'd wanted them.

Unfortunately the Stroke 99p shop is closing in the autumn. They aren't selling enough stuff at 99p to pay a manager and two part-time assistant managers.
    Last edited by Owain Moneysaver; 26-05-2019 at 8:43 PM. Reason: add picture
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th May 19, 4:40 PM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 61,252 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Next is a Noisy May jacket, bomber jacket style in black and white made out of a mesh material. Online research suggests this brand is for a much younger demographic than me. This is why I love CS shopping, though - I can try out things and see if they work without spending too much. Anyway, jacket will be great for spring evenings and was £5.99.

A pair of shorts for holiday. These are a brand called Jaded. Online research shows again for a MUCH younger demographic! Those of a nervous disposition should beware - there are bikini line shots here on their website that will make you gasp. The shorts are VERY noisy in pattern and colour, but a stylish cut and £3.49. As ever, I don't want to spend much on holiday clothes as it gets covered in sand and sun cream.
    Originally posted by Magpie100
    Edgy! Love it!
    From a 60+ who still wears Doc Marts with short(ish) skirts.

Had a look at the 'Jaded' website (I'm at home, feet up and bored ).
    Lordy!
    What a set of bodies!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 25th May 19, 5:00 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,937 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Somebody somewhere must have written a thesis on 'Intermittent Positive Reinforcement/Vegas Effect and charity shop shopping'
    Miro, if the lad doing the psych exam didn't already have an engineering apprenticeship lined up, I'd be suggesting it! All that fieldwork, and lugging...

Had a look at the 'Jaded' website (I'm at home, feet up and bored ).
    Lordy!
    What a set of bodies!
    Intrigued, I went and gawked - not recommended at work for those of a nervous disposition.

Had a severe flashback to a Turkish holiday where a similarly structured bottled blonde was getting a lot of attention, but in the souk "too skinny, could never give you sons, decorative though, perhaps 8 camels" Whereas I and school pal (both of us English Roses & both still with a certain amount of puppy fat) rated half a million camels (as a pair). Our fathers, in stereo, wanted to know why we had come home...

I think my mother would be muttering about shockingly low BMI & associated health risks but I think my Turkish admirers were spot on the money - I doubt any of those lasses will be mothers without putting on at least two stone apiece.

<Quietly edits web browser history so my sons have to read and hunt for themselves.>

Magpie have an Amazing holiday, dressed to the 9s and above, and all in clothing you can wash & drop back off in a cs if you feel so inclined!

If anyone has someone heavily & expensively into manga, I strongly commend Colne Samaritans bookstall in the market. As someone has emptied their bookcases and there are several shelves *solid*.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 25-05-2019 at 5:06 PM. Reason: manga & where to find it
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 25th May 19, 7:06 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Magpie100
    @pollycat I hope the Jaded website entertained you for a bit - and I'm pleased to hear you are still rocking your DMs and short(ish) skirts! I was trying to find a pair of shorts on there similar in style to the ones I bought as an example, but perhaps mine are from last season and hemlines and bikini lines have become more shocking since then... the shorts I bought are perfectly fine for a tropical beach and do cover everything that needs covering...I promise.

@DforV - thank you for the holiday wishes! I need to do an audit of my clothes this weekend to make sure I have everything I need and perhaps sort out a few things to re-donate. I feel like I am on a learning curve with my new policy of trying to buy as much second hand as I can - but I am really enjoying it. I am sure I am making mistakes as I go, but I am with the poster above who said to view it as a 'lending library', where the charity is the ultimate winner. The thrill of the chase is what I love, and reporting back to you guys and researching what I have found afterwards makes it even more fun. I'm aware I am very lucky that I can indulge myself this way - there are plenty of people who rely on CS's because they have no choice. But I'm really interested to show people rather than lecture them on what can be reused, recycled and repurposed. I have a long way to go, but am enjoying the journey. M100
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 26th May 19, 8:30 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 42,163 Thanks
    dolly84
    Yesterday I had an unexpected cs trip and got DH another pair of Hollister Jeans £5, a BNWT gorgeous pair of high waisted wide leg M&S Collection trousers for DD, they are super soft fabric which feels like lightweight wool, pale grey with a white pinstripe, £5, a Crew Clothing summer dress for me, navy blue with a faded gold floral design, short sleeves with a turnup, drop waist with a drawstring and the body is fully lined, £5, a pair of Epilogue wide leg cropped trousers, smart style for work, £3.

Lastly I found a gorgeous Next shirt, super soft drapey fabric, oversized, grey with a black and white thin stripe, collarless and with rollup sleeves, it was priced at £4.75 but had a small tear in the sleeve, I pointed it out at the till and she shouted upstairs at full volume and in the end I paid £2. When I roll up the sleeves you can't see the tear and I won't wear it with the sleeves down.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 26th May 19, 8:42 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    I couldn’t possibly be a hoarder. I’ve Walked Away from a Greenwheat teapot £4, a Whisper teapot £5 & a Dauphine coffee pot at £8 & am feeling shocked but virtuous. It can’t last!

My turn to activate the green eyed monster!! May I ask where you spotted the Whisper teapot please? I have had a full set of Whisper til I dropped the teapot Was it in Skipton where you saw it cos that is just about do-able for me and I would love to get back to 'full set' status again!

Also, if I may consult our Denby expert.....a few months ago I saw some Whisper cups and saucers in a chazza and thought it might be a good idea to buy them as 'spares' but when I looked closely at them the pattern looked totally different....the colours were much stronger and the stylised shapes were not quite the same but it was deffo Whisper. Also the grey/blue background colour was not quite the same. Could they have been fakes or does Denby vary like this??
    Last edited by Mirů; 26-05-2019 at 8:48 AM.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 26th May 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    Towser
    I am very excited to go on holiday to Whitby. I can easily Google the charity shops but is there a tip Re-Use shop I have not been able to find it. Anything I should not be missing out on chazzer wise of course?
    I have noticed Scarborough also, has lots of chazzers which is not too far away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

2,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin