Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,688Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 131
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th May 19, 9:05 AM
    • 9,468 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Miro, would the stunning silk shirt you got work as another layer over that? A not-jacket but something to fend off the goosebumps as the summer evenings chill?
    Wow, though - just wow! And no, I will not hide your wallet when you find Whole Outfits with change from £20. Just challenge you to donate another (with hindsight unloved) outfit, to ease your troubled mind?

That Man has been at it again. An ink bottle & a storming jug/vase both Bourne (pre-Denby!) the ink bottle with impressed marking dating it at 1901-1909 for 50 pence & the jug "(finally sold!" exulted the staff who had had flowers in it & so noone asked to buy it) for £2. With a basestamp not in my Denby book - circle with Bourne Denby Derby inside & Made in England round the bottom half. A photocopy (from Denby shoved into the dustcover of my book) suggests 1950 but there is absolutely no reference to how that's arrived at. Plus three probably Regency Green side plates a pound the lot. (All wrapped in the new underpants, oh what a relief.)
    How he can complain about my leaving heaps of stuff about when he keeps bringing home the Denby I'm not wholly sure. Or maybe we're going to reach tipping point & I am going to Have to excavate the front room. (We moved over 15 years ago & several boxes are still there, leaning & otherwise not yet unpacked. Including my modest stamp collection & the wedding photos.)
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 10-05-2019 at 9:23 AM.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 10th May 19, 9:34 AM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 7,005 Thanks
    janb5
    Miro..you definitely have the ` eye`. It is a lovely dress and will look stunning. A few strategic adjustments are a good investment for this.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th May 19, 10:08 AM
    • 22,618 Posts
    • 61,195 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Could someone please confiscate my purse and credit cards?? I am spending too much 'big' money lately!!!

Called into my local Debra charity shop/coffee shop this afty. Spotted a Planet pure silk dress with matching clutch bag and wrap in the same fabric. Loved the colours, sludge green/pale yellow/cream & black and the outfit looked new, (possible worn once cos looked a bit like a wedding guest outfit). A size too big and priced at £16.99. Left it cos I was not too keen on altering a pure silk dress but it 'haunted' me as I continued my wanderings. Yep....I went back and bought it. Now having tried it on I can see it will only need the straps shortening a bit and the side seams under the arms taking in for a perfect fit. Not too daunting after all Doubt I will wear al 3 items together, (pattern overload). Can't find what the original price would have been but there is the dress only for sale on FleaBay starting at 99p... Will be watching to see if it sells and what for.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silk-Dress-Size-8-Green/183804606473
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Don't count on my support to curtail your spending, Miro.
    Not when you get bargains like that.

That Man has been at it again. An ink bottle & a storming jug/vase both Bourne (pre-Denby!) the ink bottle with impressed marking dating it at 1901-1909 for 50 pence & the jug "(finally sold!" exulted the staff who had had flowers in it & so noone asked to buy it) for £2. With a basestamp not in my Denby book - circle with Bourne Denby Derby inside & Made in England round the bottom half. A photocopy (from Denby shoved into the dustcover of my book) suggests 1950 but there is absolutely no reference to how that's arrived at.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    What?
    Really?

<hobbles off to check the underside of all old Denby pieces.>
    Will report back.
    Is the jug plain or patterned?
    What colour?
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 10th May 19, 11:01 AM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    Miro, would the stunning silk shirt you got work as another layer over that? A not-jacket but something to fend off the goosebumps as the summer evenings chill?
    Wow, though - just wow! And no, I will not hide your wallet when you find Whole Outfits with change from £20. Just challenge you to donate another (with hindsight unloved) outfit, to ease your troubled mind
    Brilliant idea about the shirt....never would have thought of that! Sadly the shirt is a different shade of beige...more browny than greeny as in the dress so it will have to be the trusty cream pashmina I think. Actually the wrap thingy that came with the dress is so huge (about 24" x 2' 18" in old money) I could make a short sleeved shirty top out of it! (silk...ewwww unlikely!)

I deffo need to have a cull/sort out ready to donate on my next trip to North Yorks. I always hand in stuff to charity shops well away from home as I am quite capable of buying back my own stuff by mistake Also once I decide to part with something I just don't want to see it again - either in a C/S or even worse....being worn by someone!!

Miro..you definitely have the ` eye`. It is a lovely dress and will look stunning. A few strategic adjustments are a good investment for this.
    Originally posted by janb5
    Thanks Ahem, the adjustments took far longer than expected due to a sewing machine malfunction which took ages to sort out. (usually trusty 40yr old Elna), but anyhoo, all completed now

That reminds me...Magpie100 recently posted about things not bought. Well about a month ago I was in our Sue Ryder Vintage Shop - a wondrous mix of vintage clothing and sewing/craft supplies. (I think the idea is to encourage our huge student population to buy in order to restyle/repurpose in creative ways.) They always have loads of sewing machines on sale, from vintage treadle Singers to the modern computerised things. On my way out I spotted a Bernina overlocker priced at £40. Now, in the days when I made a lot of my own clothes I always dreamed of owning an overlocker but somehow never managed it. Oooooh I was so tempted tho!!! Sense prevailed as I would have had absolutely nowhere to store the blooming thing
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th May 19, 11:32 AM
    • 9,468 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Colour can be so tricky on computer screens.
    May I respectfully suggest not taking the shears to the accompanying wrap until the whole has had a chance to 'settle into' your wardrobe? In part as silk can be a Jezebel to sew but also as some day you may wish to lend/gift/rehome the complete set.
    Pollycat - I have a link to basestamps which shows my little mystery so please be tender with the size 3s and share my bemused glee at the (does Langley green make sense?, a sort of anaemic green) jug style vase, wide base, jug handle, narrow mouth, all of a sort of twisted rope texture colour & vintage along these lines but treble the base width & much more tagine-you-could-pour from ... "Often found on giftware, c1945-1950s." - Where this site gets its info from I have no idea but as a secondary source it fits with the photocopy from Denby.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 10th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 38,113 Thanks
    luxor4t
    .........go back and buy the other one tomorrow, otherwise people will think you only have one jacket............
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver

For a minute I thought my MiL was posting she could list the contents of all her neighbours' wardrobes!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th May 19, 11:46 AM
    • 9,468 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    luxor4t, I think I'd give your MIL a spasm. Mind, someone that knowledgeable might help me look turned-out, rather than thrown.

Magpie100, Owain's right - if it's worthy of you, grab it. Besides, if the second jacket is as handsome as the first, having two allows you to ring changes, eat soup wearing one etc & worry a little less about its care & maintenance.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 10th May 19, 12:20 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    just a heads up our british heart has its so called red cube event...essentially red cubes on some hangers saying half price...also a lot of claires bits 3 for a quid
    onwards and upwards
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 10th May 19, 3:50 PM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 38,113 Thanks
    luxor4t
    For a minute I thought my MiL was posting she could list the contents of all her neighbours' wardrobes!
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    luxor4t, I think I'd give your MIL a spasm. Mind, someone that knowledgeable might help me look turned-out, rather than thrown.,..........
    Umm, sadly she was more of an armchair critic rather than an adviser, which is why the 'only one jacket' comment made me jump - it was the sort of thing she'd say. On a more positive note, she was also a one woman neighbourhood watch!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 11th May 19, 7:35 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Magpie100
    'Therefore you should definately go back and buy the other one tomorrow, otherwise people will think you only have one jacket.'

Owain - I have SO many jackets! I promise you. Previously on this thread I bought 3 in one shop haul (the Whistles one, my lovely red wool jacket, worn for the first time yesterday, and a Green Lamb golfing jacket). I have about 5 others in my wardrobe, and that's before we even get to the coats...

I am tempted to go back today and see if the other Whistles jacket it still there and the t-shirt - but I think I'll try and hold on and do a proper trawl in a couple of weeks' time.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th May 19, 8:06 AM
    • 22,618 Posts
    • 61,195 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Colour can be so tricky on computer screens.
    May I respectfully suggest not taking the shears to the accompanying wrap until the whole has had a chance to 'settle into' your wardrobe? In part as silk can be a Jezebel to sew but also as some day you may wish to lend/gift/rehome the complete set.
    Pollycat - I have a link to basestamps which shows my little mystery so please be tender with the size 3s and share my bemused glee at the (does Langley green make sense?, a sort of anaemic green) jug style vase, wide base, jug handle, narrow mouth, all of a sort of twisted rope texture colour & vintage along these lines but treble the base width & much more tagine-you-could-pour from ... "Often found on giftware, c1945-1950s." - Where this site gets its info from I have no idea but as a secondary source it fits with the photocopy from Denby.
    Thanks for the links, I know exactly what you mean.
    Good buy for £2.00.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th May 19, 4:12 PM
    • 9,468 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    OT, how're your feet coming along Pollycat?
    How soon before you are allowed back out on the hunt?!
    (And then decked by the medics as they gnaw the other one)
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th May 19, 7:18 AM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 42,037 Thanks
    dolly84
    Yesterday I got an F&F camel mac, fully lined with a slight satin finish to the fabric, lovely condition £3.50, ideal for spring and autumn, a grey Iron Workers t shirt, sort of an american style faux vintage t shirt, £2, a pair of leopard print and patent ballet flats, barely worn and good quality £3.99, an F&F navy pencil skirt with a contrasting panel down the centre front and back, knee length and ideal for work, full lined too, £3.49 and lastly a Boden cropped cardigan with 3/4 sleeve in a teal colour £3.50.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 13th May 19, 2:42 PM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    Nice finds dolly84

Pollycat can you do yet?

I really do wish the chazza fairy would stop tantalising me with lovely summer dresses. Today it was a Matthew Williamson strappy maxi dress with a proper bra thingy in the bodice so it could be worn strapless or with the thin straps deployed. BNWT, dark grey with brightly coloured abstract flowers on the jersey fabric and priced at £10. Then a Miss Selfridge lightweight empire line, denim sundress, also maxi length and with white embroidery on the bodice and hem. BNWT and £8.50.

!!! I resisted both !!! *proud*

However, probably inspired by the glorious sunshine this afty I did buy a pair of M & S white jeans, as new and reduced to half price £1.90. I know that these normally sell at £39.95 in M & S as I have several pairs in this exact style already. First pair bought in the M & S sale at half price and the rest chased up in various chazzas cos I like them so much
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th May 19, 7:24 PM
    • 9,468 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Speaking as someone built using an icecreamscoop, I am intrigued that a garment exists
    with a proper bra thingy in the bodice so it could be worn strapless
    As every time I've worn anything strapless it has been lined, boned, carefully fastened & under some pressure. (Ah, happy memories!)

I think the chazza fairy has your number, and size, just hasn't quite twigged your wardrobe...
    Enjoy it!
    Says she, metaphorically sprawled on a horde of Denby...
    <Briefly doodles Smaug & a bouncy castle - nope, I had 'way more fun>
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 15th May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    Well, the chazza fairy continues his/her mission to make me buy even more dresses Today it was a Hobbs BNWT jersey dress in a black and ivory pattern. Wrap over stylee with ties that fasten round the back. The Hobbs tag indicates that the original price was £99 but it was reduced in the Hobbs sale to £39. Price to me in the RSPCA shop.....£6 Also in the same shop I got a long sleeved silky shirt with a longer back than front in a black/dark green/turquoise/purple pattern...priced at £2. I did try on a Lipsy skirt, also priced at £2, but it did not spark joy so I left that.....
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th May 19, 8:31 PM
    • 9,468 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Oh that man! Langley Lucerne honeypot w notched lid, 2 Denby daybreak cereal bowls (in nesting different sizes!) & 3 Denby Luxor cereal bowls (& a 4th with a chip) total £4 plus a pair of trousers for the gym for youngest so all got home safe & happy!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 16-05-2019 at 8:31 AM.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 15th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Picked up two lovely summer dresses this afternoon for the grand total of £5
    • Lavendar
    • By Lavendar 16th May 19, 5:26 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Lavendar
    Do any people have luck in larger sizes? Although I get a few bits most things are for the thinner lady.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th May 19, 6:03 AM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 42,037 Thanks
    dolly84
    Do any people have luck in larger sizes? Although I get a few bits most things are for the thinner lady.
    Originally posted by Lavendar

I regularly see things I like in sizes 18, 20 and 22 but I don't remember anything bigger than that but the 20's and 22's are probably not in as great supply as 12's and 14's.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,197Posts Today

9,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin