Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 884Posts
    • 2,969Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. 4th Dec 17 at 8:37 AM
    So, I can't believe that I haven't updated my diary since the end of march. So much has happened in that time I feel a fresh new one is better. Here is the link to my previous one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585379

So what has happened. Well my husband FINALLY got a job! He was made redundant in April 2016 and started a new role in June 2017. In that time I was holding down two part time jobs so that we could pay the mortgage and bills and in that time I also made a bit of a dent in the debt we owed. The role he got was originally a six month contract through an agency so we were obviously concerned for the future, but within a month he was invited to apply for a full time position and got it. So since the end of September he has been back in a permanent role, and we have no concern that he won't pass his probationary period which is up just after Xmas. The job is also with a very good company, and he gets a discount card for two shops so that is great too. The only downside is that he has to take two trains to get there which is about 300 a month and he is only on what he was on in his previous job, but due to our finances being in much better shape now it is doable.

I started YNAB in Oct 16 and have used it very carefully for the past year. I adore it and plan to keep it forever

So what has been happening to the debt. Last time I was here I had cleared our big loan due to wanting to avoid having too much in savings because of a massive mistake by the job centre with my husband's JSA claim. He signed off the week after the interview we had with them and I was planning to xfer the child benefit to his name for his NI to be paid but then he landed the job. We have heard nothing from them at all. I still think they may try to claw back the money that we received that we shouldn't have and of course if that happens we will dispute it as we didn't lie or omit anything, it was a massive error in their part, but we will pay money back if we have to. But nothing, not a word at all

I had managed to get the debt down from 22k to 17k with aggressive debt payments but in may I received a decent sized inheritance from a family member. Enough to buy a new (to us) car (mine finally died in early September at 17yrs old) clear 10k of debt and do some of the much needed home improvements. The reason I didn't clear all the debts was that we would have been left with nothing at all for the home improvements (and I was bored of having half a kitchen and no bath) and our back fence fell down in July so we have had a lovely new back fence out up, and am getting the back garden landscaped, had a new bathroom put in, finished the kitchen (apart from tiling, need to save for this) plastered the rest of the house, and had some new carpets out in. The relative that left the money was huge on owning your own property and I felt I needed to use some of the money to add value to the house. There is still stuff to do and I am saving for that now.

So our debt stands at about 8k total. One loan and one interest free credit card. My go going forward is to not add to that and clear the credit card within the time limit.

This coming year we are planning two big holidays so everything spare is going towards that, I need 3500 by the end of march, I have 1000 towards that already but debt busting will be taking a bit of a backseat while I get all this money together.

Personally, I have quit one of my jobs. Once we knew my husband was employed full time by the company we looked at the finances and due to some quite serious issues our smallest child is having ongoing at school, we decided it was important that I was home more in the evening. Also the company that took us over a year ago are a shocking company to work for so the decision was an easy one to make and I quit my evening job. I miss it so much, it was a job I adored and I loved most of the people I worked with. But it was right for us as a family. So now I am self employed school hours, mon-fri, which is hard work. I get no time to myself and feel I am constantly playing catch up at home, but it needed to be done. The smallest boy did improve quite a bit after I finished work, but this past week has had a huge backslide again

Anyway enough about me now, I am off to catch up on the diaries I used to follow to see what everyone has been up to. So pleased to be back
Page 8
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 20th Dec 18, 8:18 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So much for updating more often!

So kitchen is tiled, I just need to do the last bits on sat then it will be finished, only taken three years

Booked to see a friends daughter in a London play on 5th Jan. There was a flash sale so paid 15. Really please as wanted to see her an it finishes on the 6th. Hubby will come London with me but has no interest in seeing te play. But friends of us will be in as they are seeig a musical in the eve so will probably meet up for a drink in the afternoon.

Two days of work left, can't wait. Everyone as had enough, although the smallest has been amazing these past two weeks which is so good. The weird one was not happy about Xmas jumper day today. He was incredibly grumpy, but he always makes me laugh wen he is like this!

Anyway better get on so the work day can end sooner lol!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Dec 18, 9:05 AM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 29,540 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    How lovely seeing a play with someone you know it. Makes it extra special.

Well done getting the kitchen tiled. It takes as long as it takes but you are getting there and that's what matters. My jobs have been outstanding for double digits!
    Car costs savings: 500
    Xmas savings 250
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN?
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 22nd Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Thanks dia. I am pleased I am getting the chance to see my friends daughter again, saw her last year when she was in the West end.

So work is done! So so happy, really struggled to get through Friday.

Haven't relaxed today though. Had to fix my hoover (needed a new plug) and have wallpapered around the window in the kitchen with lining paper and painted it. The kitchen is done I did think about getting a blind, but tbh it can wait and will see how I feel in the new year.

Sorted all my work kit, need a few things so will take a trip to home bargains before I go back. All kids pe kits are washed and dried, going to do my ironing tomorrow when the other half is watching the american football, so will be all up to date and ready to relax.

All gifts wrapped except hubby's which I need to sneakily charge, will get it wrapped tonight hopefully!

Had an awful night's sleep last night, hoping I can get a decent amount tonight, off to the panto tomorrow afternoon. Going to have everything crossed that smallest two cope. It is an expensive experiment!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 23rd Dec 18, 6:38 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So panto done. The smallest had a huge tantrum about going, and absolutely loved it! I am going to try for some of the west end musical lotteries in Jan I think. Between him and the girl I can probably see all of them

The weird one didn't cope so well. Didn't have to leave, but it was too long really. He did laugh so hard he nearly fell off his seat during one bit, but overall I don't think we will repeat the experience with him.

All presents wrapped, need to pop to @sda tomorrow for Xmas day pizzas and a few bits for the Xmas eve buffet, but nothing major. Tomorrow is town and father Xmas visit, Christine and Xmas eve film.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 29,540 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hope you had a lovely Christmas. I love the idea of Christmas day pizza
    Xmas savings 250
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN?
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 26th Dec 18, 8:51 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Thanks. It was delicious as always.

Nice day yesterday, but I was exhausted. Went to bed at 10pm, woke at 9.30 this morning.

Today I haven't got dressed. Really chilled day, ending in trivial pursuit with the big two. Tomorrow we will need to get out though.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 30th Dec 18, 8:23 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I have eaten so much over te past few days. Think I have put on all the weight I have lost since September.

Been up to in laws, was lovely and managed to get out for a decent walk. I am thinking of signing up for a sponsored 26mile walk in June. It would give me something to aim for, been meaning to get out walking more for the past six months or so, but it just hasn't happened. Maybe having a focus will mean I actually get out and do it!

Nothing planned for new year, will be a quiet one. Hubby is back to work on the 2nd and I am off to London with the girl.

Have paid the normal 150 loan payment, along with a bit extra to round it down. So now at 8040, and credit card that I put hubby's gift on is as 100. S/o set up to clear the interest free card in 10 months. So all going to plan. Have money set aside for Wed trip and sat trip, I am also off to a show on 2nd Feb with the girl and one of my neices, will use a bit from birth fund as the ticket was for neices Xmas gift and her birthday is in Jan, so the trip is my gift to her. But I am confident that I have everything funded.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Dec 18, 8:40 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 29,540 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The sponsored walk is a great idea.
    The finances sound under control too
    Xmas savings 250
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN?
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 1st Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    NY was a quiet one, today is a relaxed at home day. The house is a complete state so dragged the hoover out lol! Decorations would normally come down tomorrow but I am out with the girl in London. Although hubby is back to work so I will be up at 6.30, so may take them down then.

Nothing planned Thursday and Friday, but the kids need to get out and about, and there is homework to do too that never goes down well!

Looking forward to tomorrow......
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 2nd Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Omg, so so annoyed. Got the tiniest chip in my windscreen over the weekend (got cut up by a van) today its a huge crack. Insurance excess is half of what autoglass charge and my insurance doesn't use them. I have to have it done tomorrow as am out fri and then to work on Monday! Couldn't get through to insurance as so busy so just booked it in. I have enough in the car main as have been saving for a new cambelt, but it has cleared it out. Told hubby it wa because I was looking at booking a holiday last night. Swear something always happens when I do that.

Anyway had an awful night's sleep, and forgot I was doing a job this morning until I was leaving to take hubby to the station. But a fab time in London with my girl, and I love bat out of hell even more the second time through and she enjoyed it to. Only money spent was train fare and five guys (omg how expensive, but such a nice treat). And some otex for her ear as she is completely deaf in one ear! May need to get it checked by a nurse, but 90% certain it is ear wax blockage from using her earphones so much!

So quiet day again tomorrow, decorations down, hubby off for next two days due to needing to take holiday in next week (thought he had until end of Jan, he was wrong). Car fixed and hopefully day out with my sister on Friday.

Jan needs to be a cheap month.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 3rd Jan 19, 3:30 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 10,527 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    How frustrating about the windscreen. Glad you had a good time in London with your DD.
    paydbx2019 #93 1091.17/10,100 .
    EF 10

# savings# 11. Oven. 0 / 403
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 7th Jan 19, 7:49 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well, spendy end to the school holidays. Went into London with hubby and big two on sat. Had a nice time not constantly panicking about losing the little two in the crowds. I left them at Waterloo, they were going to an arcade down by embankment and I went off to the theater to see the play my friends daughter was in. It was brilliant! Really dark humour and bonkers, but such fun. I should have taken the girl, but my friend had said it was quite an adult play (loads of language, but she has heard worse at school I am sure) and I was unsure wether it was something she would enjoy. She would have been fine, but it closed on Sunday so too late now.

Back to school today, this morning was a struggle. The weird one went in crying and grumping, he seems to be really struggling atm, he claims the work is too hard, but his teachers say he is doing well. Think I need an appointment with them to chat about how he is doing to ease my mind a bit. The small one had a brilliant day, even telling his teacher how he was feeling with no drama at all, which for him is a huge huge deal! So baby steps but positive signs.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    First week back done! Small one had a but of an up and down week, a couple of incidents, but overall good. The wierd one seems to have coped OK. I think he is finally realising he just isn't the same as everyone else. He has begun to hate pe, and fell over on Thursday and really scrapped his arm. Which is only going to add to his pe aversion. Don't really know what to do for the best. The oteer s have always been (mostly) accepting of him how he is, he has no close friends, but mainly because he has no need for them, he is happiest with his own company.

Anyway, not much I can do really just keep hoping he carries on coping as well as he has in the past. The school have been fab for his educational needs and pretty good for his emotional ones too, will keep an eye on him and may make an appointment with his teacher for a chat.

Going back to work was hard, wish I could cut my hours, but not really an option atm. It's also been a bit spend this week, nearly 200 spent on theatre tickets booked to see a play in our nearest city that my daughter is studying in gcse English, booked the Lion King for the smallest birthday (bargain 20 tickets ) and spent 90 on tickets to we will rock you, which is touring later this year. Never got the chance to see it in the west end and the girl will love it, so we are going next Jan for my birthday

On a plus side I spent no money on food this week while working, diet has been going wellish and am hopeful it will continue that way.

Anyway off to do my monthly online shop as money for that due on Tuesday.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 16th Jan 19, 7:52 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    A quiet weekend was had, easing everyone back into work/school life.

I got paid, all allocated. Booked a holiday. Going to Cornwall in May half term. Cost 830, I had 150 set aside so will have to pay it off over the next couple of months. But I had to book it, already lost one property because I left it too late. I need to have parking, WiFi and I want it in a town. This property ticked all our box's. Its an area we went to back when the big two were very small, so will be nice to go back.

Now I need to bribe the hubby to do something at Easter. I have a plan, but he is resistant so far

Took mum out or lunch today which was nice. My sister was supposed to come too but she cried off last minute.

On positive news I have lost 3.5lbs this week. Back onto it.

Tough two days at work coming up now though, and the traffic in our town has reached ridiculous levels which hinders me travelling between jobs. Its a worry especially as there is some major roadworks planned over the coming two years which may mean I actually have to lose jobs as I just won't have time.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jan 19, 5:38 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 29,540 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on the weight loss and booking a holiday. Nice to have that to look forward to
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 20th Jan 19, 8:31 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Diet has not gone well this weekend...... And its my birthday this week, so will be cake. Oh well, will try and reduce the damage as much as possible over the next two days.

Another quiet weekend. Me and the girl went to see Mary poppins with the guides at a special screening. Was early sat morn, was hard getting out lol! But film was good, I am generally not a fan of musical films, much prefer the stage, and am not a huge fan of the original, but this one was good. Think the smallest might like it, will give it a go on dvd, the small two can't really sit through films.

Then went to town, needed to get my vacumn fixed, and the girl wanted to go jeans shopping. She had a tough lesson that not all shops have prices like prim@rk her face in next when she realised jeans retailed at around 30-50 and she was spending HER money anyway she managed to find some for 15 in a sale so she was happy in the end

Tried to go swimming today, but when we got there the main pool was closed. This did not go down well with the smallest who had already protested about going and I had just won him round. This had a knock on effect on the rest of the day, and it was the worst on he has had at home in months. I hate when he is like this, I know it is him not coping, and it makes me so sad. However after his bath he was able to articulate in words how he was feeling and his emotions. And he did his homework with no help.

Back to work tomorrow, am not looking forward to it tbh. But half day on Wednesday and meeting my sister for lunch for my birthday (as long as she remembers!) and next weekend am off to IKEA to spend my Xmas voucher. Also need to get to halfords to get my new car stereo, got a voucher for Xmas to cover this too.

Money wise, clothing is bare, new underwear for all the boys and me. I also need to order some guider uniform, but I have 50 set aside for this. Spent far to much on groceries this weekend, going to have to eat out of the freezer as much as possible for the coming weeks.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 22nd Jan 19, 12:03 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    A cold one here today. I am so tired, and need to get motivated as need to fill in a thing to try angethe smallest an echp. Am talking to someone who has done it all already, so hopefully get some tips.

Birthday tomorrow, getting what I see as depressingly old have been saving money for a fit bit. Can get one from hubby's work so will have some discount and I also have a gift voucher to use. Looking forward to being more motivated with exercise. Meeting sister tomorrow for lunch, and my extra lovely client just gave me some cash so am going to book a meal out for me and hubby this weekend.

Have booked me and the girl cinema tickets for a film of a West end musical next week. Been wanting to see this one for months but not managed it yet and their is a cast change due so tickets are hard to get atm. So this is a bit ff a compromise, but looking forward to it.

Anyway better get back to work!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 23rd Jan 19, 9:11 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So happy birthday to me lol!

Sister treated me to lunch, and we went to a new restaurant in town. I have booked to go out with hubby on sat (first time leaving the girl in charge while we are out like this, but 7pm siting and I will drive so no drinking, should be back by 9.30 tops!) and wanted to go to this restaurant, but I checked te menu and I don't think he would like anything. So booked giraffe (with 10%cashback through the bank) bit boring, but right price and something we both will like. Anyway the restaurant we went to today was amazing. Ate far too much stuff! Also did my birthday breakfast which I only do on my birthday as it is soooo many calories basically french toast made with brioche, and then sandwiched with nuttela and banana slices, dipped in a double cream/egg mix and fried. Topped with maple syrup and icing sugar. It is amazing I first had it when we went to Vegas two years ago and had to attempt to recreate it when we got back as it is honestly one of. Best things I have ever eaten

So diet not going well am meeting friends on Fri for a take away, meal out on sat and after today, firmly expect to out weight on

Anyway off to bed, tough day tomorrow, and the smallest is struggling a bit atm.think hs a bit off colour, but not sure how. But he has been very emotional and had a couple of incidents at school today too. Just have to keep reminding myself how far he has come in a year
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 24th Jan 19, 7:26 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 10,527 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Happy belated birthday. The birthday breakfast sounds amazing!
    paydbx2019 #93 1091.17/10,100 .
    EF 10

# savings# 11. Oven. 0 / 403
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 29th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Smallest pulled it round for the rest of the week. Had a lovely catch up with a friend Fri morning, and met up with a group of mum friends on Friday eve for a takeaway and natter. Was long overdue and enjoyed every minute.

Went out with hubby and smallest two to IKEA on sat. Spent my Xmas voucher and some more wasy birthday present too! Me and hu by went out on sat night for a meal. Left the girl in charge for the first time. Mum hasn't been in the best of health so didn't want to ask her and we bookefor 7pm,i was driving so not drinking and we were 10mins away. We were back by 8.45,so all OK. She is very responsible and has sat for my sister before (again we only live 10mins away so I am around for back up) and she is 15 in six weeks didn't pay her this time, but will have to if we do it again I think. Not ready to have her in charge whe we go out drinking yet though.

Bought a fitbit for my birthday, and apparently I climb a lot of stairs not really a surprise given the nature of my work, but did 64 yesterday!!! trying to figure out quite how accurate it is. I have to swap the wrist I wear it on in work as I normally wear on my dominant hand (a hangover from breaking my non dominant arm when I was younger and moving my watch nd never moving back) an it was giving me steps when I was working but stationary. Anyway going to spend some time figuring out an average and I am in a group with some goals so once I am more confident I will make some for me.

Moneywise everything is ticking along. No more money until next week. Am off to London at the weekend with the girl and my neice but that is budgeted for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

7,144Users online

Martin's Twitter