Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,596Posts
    • 40,548Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 322
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd May 19, 5:05 PM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,303 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Such a beautiful day the outside temperature gauge was reading 25 this afternoon but the lounge was pleasantly cooler.

Washing dried and getting it off the line and folded away is always a pleasure, it smells just heavenly,

HWK has taken his op dressing off this afternoon and the wound has all but healed and looks nice and healthy. He's so much less uncomfortable now the dressing is off too!

He managed the walk to the village hall to vote this morning without his stick and we went for a nice coffee and a sit down for him on the way home. He even took himself to the allotment this afternoon too and came back perfectly OK, thank goodness.

Have another afternoon in the shop tomorrow to cover for someone whose son is back in the UK and unexpectedly close so he's suggested they meet at a central point for lunch, nice to be able to help out.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 23rd May 19, 9:13 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 16,608 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Evening all

Five pleasures for the last couple of days:

1. More visits to aged parents and quality (and quantity) time spent with them. Managed to get doctor to visit as well. Bit shorter visit with them today because...

2. Gone down with the grotty cough/cold bug that's doing the rounds and gave in and had an early night last night and a long afternoon's sleep today as well. Snuggly and cosy.

3. Rediscovered lemon and ginger tea with honey. I'd forgotten how nice it is and I think I'm hooked!

4. Long phone call with DS2 and the growing list of problems he's dealing with but I'm really happy that he still feels able to share it all with me.

5. Allotment chat yesterday with one of the old guys that I hadn't seen in ages.

Sweet dreams
    Bx
    • Frith
    • By Frith 23rd May 19, 10:16 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 49,237 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today as I am tired...

1) Survived my 5.20 wake up :-O

2) 17 hours at work passed uneventfully. We had half expected some trouble or rudeness from voters about the European Election but they were all chatty and polite once again.

3) Smaller son went to school in the taxi (we were all worried he would refuse then I would not be able to take him). He has told me the sort of things he wrote in his English Lit exam and I am hopeful he may pass it... the poem was War Photographer, which we revised at very great length last week!

4) Bigger son also went to college in my absence.

5) No more pleasures as I have only been at home for half an hour so far today! But I am in bed and will watch television for a bit and finish my cup of tea.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 23rd May 19, 11:21 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 40,548 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    goodness it's late. school night too!
    1)lift to work, coffee with colleague i haven't seen for a while, always good
    2) potato and spinach for lunch. meant to have more in lunch box than that but forgot. was actually very tasty
    3) lift to polling station with a colleague. today i did my vote and my son's proxy vote. we voted slightly differently but very proud he organised a proxy and entrusted his x to me
    4) dd2 got her results A A A+. yay. You may remember she had 2 tries at 2nd year history in Edinburgh then went back to 1st year, this time in ethical hacking at Abertay. huge admiration for her tenacity.
    5) then off to friend's for lish supper with 4 others to celebrate our very successful Graduate Women Europe event last weekend.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle Oct: 31
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 24th May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 36,684 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Many congrats for DD’s DD exam results.

Thursday pleasures,

Bit of a trek to do a chore, most of which was motorway driving so took Capt S’s big car, had forgotten how much I enjoyed driving it and being an automatic very easy as well.

Above all completed and home for lunchtime, feta salad wrap.

Fun in the sun with the beautiful grey one, tried riding in my short yard boots rather than long ones as very hot but did rub my calves. She was a good girl for her Mum.

Didn’t go on the evening walk with small dog as had a few bits to do, was upstairs when they got back and could hear her racing around downstairs trying to find me before charging up the stairs to find me, my little shadow.

Last ever episode of the BB Theory, have thoroughly enjoyed it all.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 24th May 19, 11:09 AM
    • 6,324 Posts
    • 36,904 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The likelihood of it happening is …
    Well. When my chief joined up in 1958 as a boy entrant, OMG a boy soldier!!! He was privileged to have for the first time proper cotton sheets. Juts under 37 years ago we were on a programme for a new kite, and were stationed for a while in the midlands. Normally we would hunt off thirst night for a wobbleade or nosh, but not this night. He had waited again for a while to tuck in with two proper cotton sheets!

Not that I was on about, in late 86 we were given the vote. My chief was respectful that at long last in May 87 we could use it. He actually said if we don’t use it, we could lose it.

Came to work today without my coat! As me nana said n’ver a cloat till May is out. May is out now. Only 649 others to rid us off?

Spoilt. I took pleasure yesterday in spoiling my piece of waste paper. Does it matter not where the choice was, the indifference remains.
    Will be some thunder at Veterans Breakfast this Saturday! Sugar!

Now on to others.

T’other nite I got a prod from BoPsie in the bed! There had bin a thud and BoPsie thought I had felled from the bed. No it was Raffles who had missed his feetings! Raffles licked his paws. BoPsie is doing fine!

Talking of doing fine, BoPsie had freedom of the wine aisle last day in the emporium, while I gathered Raffles food and treats and things. This day she is complaining like a Mary. Please don’t think of BoPsie if when has had too much wine. I don’t!

Offs to the gym tonight then home to a film. Talking of films, seen Gold Fever and Run for Cover. One had Jimmy Cagney in it as well. Wobblefizz was consumed, BoPsie thinks her wine was rationed! See above.

Now that was a weak and a half. Vets Breakfest tomorrow so loads of snorkers to be aten!

And look is another bank holiday!

Shutting down the boiler, yippee!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 24th May 19, 4:51 PM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,303 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Whole house dusted, tidied and cleaned top to bottom, good feeling!

HWK got to the allotment under his own steam and managed some hoeing without making himself uncomfortable, every day in every way he's improving.

One of my work colleagues at the Charity Shop had remembered I wanted toy dinosaurs for those Grandpickles to make a dinosaur garden and saved me 2 lovely poseable ones.

Successful afternoon at the shop doing cover and I had responsibility for cashing up and thankfully all tallied and was fine.

Meeting some lovely little dogs that came into the shop with their owners, nice friendly little things which is a REAL pleasure.

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 24th May 19, 9:28 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 49,237 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) A lie in! And no GCSEs today.

2) Hens OK.

3) Did various jobs around the place and tidied the front garden.

4) I had a discussion with downhill neighbour on Wednesday that Teresa May would resign today! So I shall mention my political predictions when I see him next!

5) Dropped the Blood Sugar Diet very temporarily and had pie and chips from the van.

6) Watched Gogglebox.

Bit of a nothingness day, really.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 24th May 19, 10:39 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 40,548 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) lovely sunny day
    2) meeting with lovely colleague over morning coffee
    3) meeting with another lovely colleague over afternoon tea
    4) friday night is phoenix night. jacket spud and prawns yum
    5) then 2 of us went to someone's leaving do. had great chats with other colleagues
    hooray, i found 5 nice things - quite a bit of the day was m'eh but good to focus on the good
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 25th May 19, 7:10 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 36,684 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Whizzed through my chores including changing the bed, such a pleasure to do when the sheets can be washed and dried in just a few hours.

Went out to farmshop and found a couple of local beers to add to a book for DB’s birthday pressie.

Rescued two honey bees that had come in through open windows.

Equine girlie was so dusty from rolling in her paddock that decided to hot cloth her, popped some lavender oil in the bucket as well and by the time I had finished her nose was nearly touching the ground and she was asleep.

Procrastinating over what to have for tea and in the end we plumped for a cheeky Chinese takeaway, yum,
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 25th May 19, 9:00 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,218 Thanks
    mhagster
    Gosh! I'm so tired. Had been up earlier with dog and then thought I'd try and get an extra hour...or 2.5!

Yesterday was a busy one. I'm trying to gear my body up to returning to work...it's not really responding well to the idea!

Walked to allotment in my new to me walking shoes. My right foot especially is just screaming just now with plantar fasciitis ( has been for months and months). It had got so used to my red boots, which are absolutely done, that it objects painfully to any other footwear. However new to me shoes were not any worse than usual so that's a bonus! DD did say 'what are you wearing on your feet? Did you go out in those?' Yes, yes I did !

Anyway apart from the sore foot which is just always sore regardless, I enjoyed the walk. I love the month of May. When everything is just voluptuous in it's growth and green-ness. Cows were out in the fields (replacing the lambs!)

Holy Moly allotments! Weeds! I was only down on Monday. So that was I spent my time doing. Weeding. Picked more radishes, a couple of lettuce, rhubarb and some pretty chive flowers. Walk back home.

Bit of tidy-up ing. Quick chat with niece on phone. They'd had a good baby night.

Made a rhubarb crumble and took that down to a neighbour who's also an allotment neighbour. They'd fixed my fence at plot. Then had handed a bag of rhubarb into my other friends. My freezer is jam packed with it so I'm happy to share !

Then did some work stuff. Boss popped in with some more stuff to help with that.

Then I went down to shop and did some cleaning! Washed out the freezer and fridge and dishwasher! Now sparkling!

Picked up our takeaway for two. Just DD and I for weekend.

Then dropped her off at work. Had to pick her up later. Was so tired by that point!

Then a friend had offered an old garden bench on local selling page for free. Messaged her and asked if I could have it. Her neighbour kindly brought it up in his jeep. So that's an additional job for this weekend to sand it and paint it and wait till son is home to bring it round back. I've left it out the front to paint as I don't want any splodges on my new garden!

So there's much to be done today again. I'd said I'd pop into work and help for an hour. The sooner it's ready the sooner I start getting paid! There's paint to buy.

Have a good weekend
    Last edited by mhagster; 25-05-2019 at 9:02 AM.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 25th May 19, 8:13 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,218 Thanks
    mhagster
    Back with Saturday pleasures.

Well it's been a day of much rain! So that's good for the garden.

Went as far as M0rrisons. Got 2 lovely big herb tubs RTC from £15 to £3.75 & used my £5 voucher.

Popped into new work. Lots of progress though still much to do.

My new baby came for dinner. He had milk. We had fajitas & chocolate eclairs!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 25th May 19, 10:32 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 49,237 Thanks
    Frith
    MHags - I feel your pain with the plantar fasciitis. Mine had almost completely gone (after 4 years) but I set it off again a couple of weeks ago after bigger son was teaching me a free running jump... I got rid of it the first time by trying various insoles and losing 1.5 stones.

Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in!

2) Hens well.

3) Did various jobs round the house.

4) Did HM chicken nuggets and wedges for tea.

5) Bigger son went to have a barbeque at MrN's house to say goodbye before he goes to Nepal. I went in the car to pick him up and he had a farewell hug with MrN's son 5. :-( They have been best friends for 16 years! I think it will be a week of goodbyes...
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 26th May 19, 6:26 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 36,684 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

Woke up to sunshine, again

Capt S cut the grass, I did the edges with the shears and a general tidy up.

Changed over the wreath on the front door to the summer one as it felt right.

Went over to see equine girlie, she was in a very affectionate mood and permitted some cuddles

Snorkers for tea, followed by strawberries and cream.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,303 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Went with HWK to the allotment and planted French beans, carrots and lettuce seedlings then watered.

Rugby semi final in the afternoon on TV and rugby 7s on TV in the morning wow!

All well at the shop when I looked in yesterday morning, Friday afternoon was my first time cashing up and locking up so I wanted to be sure it was all as it should be.

Rhubarb from the allotment made into a rhubarb and ginger crumble for supper, delicious.

Found a brand new Eastex skirt in a charity shop (not ours) reduced in the last chance saloon area to £1.

• villagelife
    • By villagelife 26th May 19, 7:17 AM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 21,460 Thanks
    villagelife
    Mine for past 10 days of so.

1. Back better - think boss is starting to realise that some work aggravated it. She isn't making me drive any more even when that is the easy decision to cover work.

2. Spending time in the garden. Both weeding and planting flowers. Also relaxing with DH and DS1. DS1 is starting to come and join us without much persuasion.

3. Met a few friends for coffee. Enjoyable catching up with them.

4. Went for a meal with friends. We all had a laugh and meal was good and reasonable priced. We don't see them very often now they have moved further away.

5. A friend's son celebrated his 1st birthday. She had had many health issues so was unsure whether she could have children so the last year has been a joy for them.
    Congratulations Mhags on your news.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 26th May 19, 8:08 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 40,548 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    for Saturday, the day mrpiano planned to introduce me to his new boyfriend (herrtrumpet) and i worried i'd feel a total gooseberry (Stachelbeere) but all worked out well
    1) very nice long soak in the bath catching up on my magazines
    2) mrpiano and i took the dogs for a long walk
    3) a friend (mrsflute) had a couple of hours to kill (mum taxi) so phoned about going for a coffee.
    4) perfect. we went to botanics where there was a family day. gbf was helping out but was given some time off the plant stall to show us round. Huge fun - we did the mystery plant trail (and got grow a pepper kit each for completion), made a picture of a pea plant informed by taking genes out of a bag (they were bits of pipe-cleaner) and made mitosis 'cookies'
    5) then went with mrsflute to pick up son (he'd been busking, bagpipes in full scots dress, £66, not too shabby for 3 hours!) and take him to a gymnastics event in perth where he won a gold medal
    6) son was staying with friend, we came back to dundee, stopped off at starbucks for a great long chat
    7) she dropped me off, did some much needed pruning then mrpiano and herrtrumpet arrived home with pizza
    8) then they sang duets, mainly from the musicals.
    So all in all a great day
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 26th May 19, 5:56 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,218 Thanks
    mhagster
    You had a busy day DD I like the name Herr Trumpet! Toot toot .

Was wide awake at 4am then dozed off and woke up at 7.45am! This coming week I need to get up up and get used to being up! Often I'm awake early but just see to dog then spend an hour perusing tinternet...work shall beckon and I will need to be out and about just after 6.30am with a dog walked by then! Training for new routine shall start tomorrow!

Went to B&Q . I can't really be bothered with it, long aisles, high shelves, towering displays! So...in my madness I decided I wanted parrots in my ensuite. Bring Australia here if I can't be there. I'd seen some wallpaper on line and B and q did one. But actually didn't have the one I'd seen but in their bargain end of line bucket had a roll with parrots on it! So that's now on my wall. It's quite a 'busy' paper but I like it. Then went in to B&M and in a don't ask don't get moment got a mirror reduced as it had a tiny scratch on it and was the last one. So it's now nestled amongst the parrots.

Popped into work. So much to do!

Home and papered. With the squintiest walls imaginable!

Then I've just created a new art work. Found another paper I'd liked...very blowsy and tropical and of pomegranates. So took a sample sized piece and it's now in a frame I already had and on my bedroom wall.

Did a bit in the garden. It's rained for most part of day but now dry and windy so washing out for a blow. Had got plants in b and q with 20% off.

Scrubbed the new to me bench. Also bought duck egg blue paint for that but will need to wait till it's much drier ( rain forecast for tomorrow) . I think it may be more a feature than a seat for real people! It's rather worn in places. Also got fence paint for when it's dry enough to paint.

Then painted the door frame in living room. All these little jobs that need doing before I start work properly.

Quick chat with sister on phone.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 26th May 19, 8:55 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 49,237 Thanks
    Frith
    I could tell you the results of the European elections for the West Midlands, but I'm not allowed, so I won't :-D

Pleasures for today (Sunday)

1) Lie in.

2) Hens OK.

3) Did little all day.

4) Counted votes.

5) In bed now and will watch something on television.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 26th May 19, 10:42 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 40,548 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    oh of course frith you are a vote counter
    1) helped out at Sunday school. We did an acrostic of TRUST. Cos i never get them to do something i wouldn't do myself, I came up with Terrifiying, Reasonable, Understand, Supportive, Total
    2) very nice hm ratatouille for lunch then walked the spaniels
    3) watched an episode of first dates. hilarious. lots of advice on not what to do if i ever get that far!
    4) Compline choire followed by compline
    5) provost gave me a lift home and mrpiano had cooked supper. now we're listing to freddie, bowie et al on youtube but i really ought to go to bed cos i got work tomorrow boo hoo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,386Posts Today

7,940Users online

Martin's Twitter