Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 18th Nov 16, 12:05 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,338Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question
    • 18th Nov 16, 12:05 PM
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question 18th Nov 16 at 12:05 PM
    If you need help with your debts, this is the thread for you.

Trained advisers from StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) are here and waiting to answer your debt questions. They're a friendly bunch so please don't be shy!

There are three ways to get in touch:

1 - Simply post your question below and the team will reply. If your question is about bankruptcy, then pop over to the Bankruptcy board.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private, feel free to send a message to StepChange Private Messages.

3 - StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an adviser through online chat.

If you're a StepChange Debt Charity client already, please contact its Aftercare team rather than posting in this thread (their contact details are in your Welcome Pack).

If you're self employed and need debt help please get in touch with Business Debtline.

This is discussion thread part four, see parts one, two and three.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-07-2018 at 1:41 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 63
  • StepChange_Kirsty
    Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I would recommend sending the statute barred letter and then if they provide you with evidence that the debt is not statute barred, youíll know you need to arrange to pay. There is information on our website about statute barred debt and a template letter which you can find here.

In the event they do provide you evidence then you can make an arrangement to pay at a rate you can afford. I can see from another post that youíve made arrangements with other creditors which is really good so you can do the same with Robinson Way. If you needed help and advice in dealing with this and other debts you have please get in touch with us at StepChange. You can find our contact details here.

I hope this helps.

Kirsty

Hi

I have received a letter from Robinson's way about a debt which from an old credit report says was defaulted in 30/04/09 I've not made any payments to this however I cannot for the life of me remember if I've responded via letter or email Ive tried going back on emails and can't seem to find anything but i have a niggly feeling .. what would happen if I sent them the statued barred letter... If they responded with evidence that I have contacted them could they make me pay the full balance in once or would they then allow me to set up token payments as I couldn't afford to make big payments ... Every thing is such a mess.. the stress is awful .. please can you advise
    Originally posted by Dory2k
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • StepChange_Joe
    Hello

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forum.

First of all, Iím sorry to hear that this debt is making you feel stressed. Please be assured youíve done the right thing by getting in touch and weíll do everything we can to help.

If you believe the debt is statute barred, you can certainly send them a letter that states you do not admit liability (thereís a template on our website here).

It may be that Robinson Way write back to confirm that the debt is in fact statute barred, and no further action will be taken.

However, if they write back with evidence that the debt isnít statute barred, please donít panic. They canít make you pay the balance in one go, or even make you pay them what you canít afford. All they can do is follow the collections process, which is outlined on our website here

If you need any more help and support with this, please donít hesitate to get in touch with us on 0800 138 1111 Monday to Friday 8am Ė 8pm and Saturdays 8am Ė 4pm.

Thanks

Joe

Hi

I have received a letter from Robinson's way about a debt which from an old credit report says was defaulted in 30/04/09 I've not made any payments to this however I cannot for the life of me remember if I've responded via letter or email Ive tried going back on emails and can't seem to find anything but i have a niggly feeling .. what would happen if I sent them the statued barred letter... If they responded with evidence that I have contacted them could they make me pay the full balance in once or would they then allow me to set up token payments as I couldn't afford to make big payments ... Every thing is such a mess.. the stress is awful .. please can you advise
    Originally posted by Dory2k
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • Dory2k
    • By Dory2k 23rd May 19, 2:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Dory2k
    Thank you so much.. yes I set up payments with other creditors which I have been paying weekly since and every week feel that little bit better seeing the numbers coming down slowly .. very slowly I must admit but it's a good feeling!
    Thanks for the advice I will certainly check the links out.

Thanks again
    cannot wait until this hell is over with
    • Ms Dalton
    • By Ms Dalton 23rd May 19, 3:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ms Dalton
    a debt thats not mine
    Hi everyone - i'm at a loss where to go!

so i've used the revolver website but O2 dont seem to be replying any further. My problem is back in 2012 my cousin was going to get a mobile phone from Phones4U - who no longer trade - she couldnt get the phone in her name so the lady in Phones4U said it could be transferred into her name if i took the phone out and 3 months later she can get it in her name.

Anyhow she didnt pay it and i've been saddled with the bill. i've been paying £1 a month for ages now; my cousin wont cough up the money. The debt has been sold to Moorcroft who say i've to contact O2 about the debt but they say i've to contact phones4u. Ive asked for the debt to be removed and explained all the circumstances around it.

Is there anything i can do to get this account closed or do i have to continue paying for it? in the interim my cousin has been told she owes a debt to O2 and the debt was sold to lowells - but it's impossible to find out if its the same debt but i do know she hadnt taken out any further O2 phones since I blew the lid with her lol

I have no information on the debt in my name (no bank account info, no info from phones 4u etc because it was so long ago) i'm at a complete loss what to do!
  • StepChange_Allen
    Hi everyone - i'm at a loss where to go!

so i've used the revolver website but O2 dont seem to be replying any further. My problem is back in 2012 my cousin was going to get a mobile phone from Phones4U - who no longer trade - she couldnt get the phone in her name so the lady in Phones4U said it could be transferred into her name if i took the phone out and 3 months later she can get it in her name.

Anyhow she didnt pay it and i've been saddled with the bill. i've been paying £1 a month for ages now; my cousin wont cough up the money. The debt has been sold to Moorcroft who say i've to contact O2 about the debt but they say i've to contact phones4u. Ive asked for the debt to be removed and explained all the circumstances around it.

Is there anything i can do to get this account closed or do i have to continue paying for it? in the interim my cousin has been told she owes a debt to O2 and the debt was sold to lowells - but it's impossible to find out if its the same debt but i do know she hadnt taken out any further O2 phones since I blew the lid with her lol

I have no information on the debt in my name (no bank account info, no info from phones 4u etc because it was so long ago) i'm at a complete loss what to do!
    Originally posted by Ms Dalton

Hi there

Thanks for posting.

I can appreciate that this sort of thing is frustrating and difficult to deal with. Only one person should be liable for the debt; originally this would have been you, so it just depends whether it ever got transferred into your cousin's name. It's possible an error was made if it was ever transferred into your cousin's name, in that they're chasing you both, but I think it's unlikely.

If it was never transferred into your cousin's name, then you'd be fully liable for the debt.

Phones4U should have details of who is liable, so the company collecting the debt from your cousin should be able to get details of where it was taken out, what the phone number was and so on. Hopefully you can get somewhere if you contact them.

If you'd like some advice on dealing with the debt if it is yours, you can register with us free of charge. Details of how to do this can be found on our website: www.stepchange.org/Contactus

Best wishes

Allen

• StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Iím sorry to hear youíre struggling with your mental health and itís caused you to feel out of depth with your finances.

I can appreciate it would be difficult to keep on top of payments when the income is so sporadic. Iíd recommend getting something in place to help get things more under control and so there is a plan in place and a time scale to get you debt free. It hopefully will also help with your mental health if there is a realistic plan in place.

I know it might be difficult to work out a budget with your income being spread throughout the month but Iíd recommend trying as best you can so that youíve got something to work from each month. Then youíll have a good idea of what could be available towards the overdraft as a repayment.

It can be a good idea to open up a new account to bank from without an overdraft, as it can be difficult to see the separation between bills, spending money and the overdraft debt when they are together. Also, the bank could close the overdraft at any time, so it means you wouldnít have to worry about any income being taken for the overdraft last minute. Some people feel by having seperare accounts it helps them to visualise the debt so they can see it reducing and to have that separation from their ongoing finances.

Without details of your full financial situation itís hard to say what would be the best route, if youíre unsure about the advice you got previously from the financial advisor it might be worth getting a second opinion.

If you want to contact us directly to review your options you can find our contact details here on the StepChange website.

Thanks
    Rachael

Hi,
    I've been struggling with my mental health for the past couple of years and in the midst of all that I began to spend more on non essential things as a way of dealing with my low mood. I am now in £1k in debt in my main account and the only incoming I have is my benefits (ESA, Housing benefit and PIP - which I've been told I'm getting the highest rates of). I know ultimately the main thing I need to do is curb my spending and budget more wisely which I am aiming to do, but I am scared that with my overdraft being set at £1k and my benefits not always being set to go into my account on a specific date each month (sometimes I can get 3 benefits in 1 week, then the last 1 in the 4th week; then next month it might be 2 in the 1st week then 2 in the 3rd week) its just going to be easier to get into that spiral as I'll be gaining interest with the overdraft.
    I've thought about moving my incomings into a new bank account, paying my essentials like rent, social care costs, gas/electric etc... from there and then slowly paying some of my incomings into my old account to pay off my overdraft as having a separate account is something some people (friends, social worker, free one off telephone consult with a financial advisor) have advised me might be worth doing, but then I've spoken to my Dad (who's always been pretty good with organising finances) and he thinks that idea wouldn't really get anywhere or help me much, so I'm not sure what to do.
    Do you have any advice?
    Originally posted by lottie88

• moneymatters19
    • By moneymatters19 25th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moneymatters19
    Hello,

Around 18 months ago I got myself in a position to leave my job and re train for a new self employed career. I built up savings and used them and credit cards to get by thinking I would get caught up when Iím trading.....long story short, Iím not making much money and still using credit cards to pay bills etc.

I havenít missed payments and no defaults etc.

The cards are now accumulating a lot of interest and I canít get a new 0% card due to my credit rating being low and having limited income.

Iím also u able to get a consolidation loan due to having limited income as well.

I have a mortgage and have about £120000 equity in my property.

Can you advise if there is any way to use around £30000 of this equity somehow to harp clear my debt?
    Bear in mind Iím recently self employed so adding to my mortgage doesnít seem to be an option because I donít have accounts and my income has came down.
    FYI I pay around £700 to my credit card and loan debt and if I could reduce or clear this using the equity I would be just fine with what Iím doing in business just now.

Thanks
    G
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

There will definitely be a way forward to deal with the debts but itís important to find the best one for you but this itís impossible to do without knowing your full financial situation. Using equity and re-mortgaging can be a good option for some people, but itís securing the debt, so itís not always the best option for everyone.

Iíd recommend contacting the Business Debtline and discussing your situation with them so they can give you accurate recommendations. You donít need to have business debts to get advice from them, as they do advise on personal debt, but itís important your advice takes into account that youíre self-employed.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
    Rachael

Hello,

Around 18 months ago I got myself in a position to leave my job and re train for a new self employed career. I built up savings and used them and credit cards to get by thinking I would get caught up when Iím trading.....long story short, Iím not making much money and still using credit cards to pay bills etc.

I havenít missed payments and no defaults etc.

The cards are now accumulating a lot of interest and I canít get a new 0% card due to my credit rating being low and having limited income.

Iím also u able to get a consolidation loan due to having limited income as well.

I have a mortgage and have about £120000 equity in my property.

Can you advise if there is any way to use around £30000 of this equity somehow to harp clear my debt?
    Bear in mind Iím recently self employed so adding to my mortgage doesnít seem to be an option because I donít have accounts and my income has came down.
    FYI I pay around £700 to my credit card and loan debt and if I could reduce or clear this using the equity I would be just fine with what Iím doing in business just now.

Thanks
    G
    Originally posted by moneymatters19

• nellie36
    • By nellie36 28th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nellie36
    Hi

I have been on a DMP for 10 years and still owe around £26000. I am thinking of selling my house but will only have about £10000 of equity available. In your experience, How likely would my creditors be to accept a partial settlement. None of my debts are with the original creditors now they have all been passed on.

Thanks
    • BumpingBuzzards
    • By BumpingBuzzards 29th May 19, 10:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BumpingBuzzards
    I had a Wonga loan which was one of the unsold ones and am waiting for compensation which I know wonít be much.

However I didnít manage to pay that debt to Wonga so it was passed to a debt collector and they are still taking payments off me. As the loan was originally missold would I have a case to get the debt collector to wipe it?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for posting.

Ten years seems a long time to be on a DMP. Iíd definitely consider looking into your options to see if there are other debt solutions that would be more suitable. Especially if youíre with a fee payer as the DMP will last longer due to the feeís they are taking. There maybe unexplored solutions that are suitable that mean you can get debt free sooner but also wonít risk your property. However, I canít say for certain without knowing your full financial situation.

Selling assets including homes and offering a partial settlement can be a really good option for some people and this is something that can be done yourself or through a free support service. I wouldnít recommend paying someone to help you to do this. However, selling your property and using the equity may be extreme if there are other options available that would protect your asset. You can find more information about settlements here.

If youíve not already Iíd recommend speaking with us at StepChange or using another free debt advice service. You can find our contact details here.

Thanks
    Rachael

Hi

I have been on a DMP for 10 years and still owe around £26000. I am thinking of selling my house but will only have about £10000 of equity available. In your experience, How likely would my creditors be to accept a partial settlement. None of my debts are with the original creditors now they have all been passed on.

Thanks
    Originally posted by nellie36

• StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for your message.

Itís a difficult one because we donít know how much exactly, the refund will be. If the amount is much less than the debt then there will still be something left owing and the collection company will still have a legal right to collect for it.

Iíd recommend contacting the collection agency, explain the situation and see if they will put the account on hold until itís resolved. You could also make a small payment as a token if they donít accept the complete hold for the meantime.

Itíd be best to make the collection company aware so that they donít start any legal action by sending the debt to a CCJ.

Thanks
    Rachael

I had a Wonga loan which was one of the unsold ones and am waiting for compensation which I know wonít be much.

However I didnít manage to pay that debt to Wonga so it was passed to a debt collector and they are still taking payments off me. As the loan was originally missold would I have a case to get the debt collector to wipe it?
    Originally posted by BumpingBuzzards

• crescent25
    • By crescent25 1st Jun 19, 1:31 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 9,004 Thanks
    crescent25
    Apologies for the long post...

My house with an ex which I bought when I was stupidly young was repossessed. I've been told I should have declared bankruptcy at the time and that it'll all have been done and dusted now (but you know, I was young, severely depressed and received poor information at the time). It also wasn't until 2017 (5 years after the repo I think) that I received a letter through saying I owed £29k. I naively thought that it had all just been cleared when everything on my credit file was put to closed. The mortgage account was closed and showed as 'settled' within around 12-18 months of the repossession.

I was studying in Australia when I got the letter through saying I owed £29k, otherwise, I probably would have just declared bankruptcy then. Then when I came back, I was applying for a role that required very high vetting and again, I put off the bankruptcy as it was possible I would be declined for the job.

Anyway, moving forward, I WAS trying to rebuild my credit in the hope that I can save some money (and maybe take out a small loan) to add the the £10k that my parents will gift me £10k to offer as a full and final settlement for the debt (which was in joint names). I have been advised that this is a silly idea and still, to just declare bankruptcy.

I just don't know what the best thing is to do. If I had enough money to offer a final settlement of £15k in 12-24 months, this means that my credit file will have been rebuilt and in a few more years, I should be in a position to buy a house. I won't have to tell my employer or any future employers, I won't have to declare a bankruptcy if I ever settle down in a new relationship and I'll have cleared the debt off my own back.

I feel like if I declare bankruptcy (I have around £100 disposable income each month after paying all bills etc), I'll constantly have to explain in the future to employers, mortgage companies, new partners that I was once bankrupt. I also cannot understand whether if I had £100 disposable income, do I just pay this for 12 months or for 3 years? I'm also worried as I've read your bank account is closed. What if it was closed whilst my wages were being paid in and I lose them for that month and cannot afford to pay any bills? We get paid at the end of the month, but I believe the cut off date to change your bank account details is around 10th of the month. My credit file will also plument and I'll be back to square one and presumably, not be able to buy another house for at least 6 years until the bankruptcy drops off. Could I even rent somewhere else? I currently lodge with a friend.

If I have a fleet car through work that I pay £80 extra tax a month for (as I have to travel >7000 miles per year for work), would this be okay? Would it be taken off me or could I keep it with a bankruptcy?

I just cannot weigh up whether it would be stupid to save and accept money from my parents to offer £15k settlement, when I could just declare bankruptcy. But worried about the long term, negative effects that this would have.
    Last edited by crescent25; 01-06-2019 at 1:33 PM. Reason: fleet car bit added
    Back comping again after a long break and too much studying!

Best Win - Two Night City Break to Valencia and a Hisense TV
    • YdidntI
    • By YdidntI 1st Jun 19, 3:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    YdidntI
    Hi,

Looking for advice as I am struggling with trying to find a solution. I was in a cracking position financially last year and my credit rating couldnít have been better!!

I decide to buy a new car and things just spiralled down, due to various stupid ideas and get rich schemes (which didnít work) Iíve now landed myself in 45k of debt. My house is worth approx 230k and I have 180k of mortgage, the trouble is because I now have so much unsecured debt on loans and cards I canít remortgage to consolidate debt. This I know is not ideal but would help short term, as my career improves then I can clear the extra up quicker.

I canít borrow more and I canít afford to pay my monthly payments which is spiralling up! I canít hand the car back without owing thousands still and now Iím lost with what to do, itís now impacting on my health as Iím stressing about what am I supposed to do?

Dan
    • Mrjohnp
    • By Mrjohnp 3rd Jun 19, 7:02 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrjohnp
    Hi every one. So I'm in debt and want advice but any debt advice people I speak to seen to have limited options of bankruptcy or iva. What I want to know is who can I talk to that understand all aspects on money including mortgages and inheritance and debt. Who do I talk to? Thank you for your help
  • StepChange_Allen
    Apologies for the long post...

My house with an ex which I bought when I was stupidly young was repossessed. I've been told I should have declared bankruptcy at the time and that it'll all have been done and dusted now (but you know, I was young, severely depressed and received poor information at the time). It also wasn't until 2017 (5 years after the repo I think) that I received a letter through saying I owed £29k. I naively thought that it had all just been cleared when everything on my credit file was put to closed. The mortgage account was closed and showed as 'settled' within around 12-18 months of the repossession.

I was studying in Australia when I got the letter through saying I owed £29k, otherwise, I probably would have just declared bankruptcy then. Then when I came back, I was applying for a role that required very high vetting and again, I put off the bankruptcy as it was possible I would be declined for the job.

Anyway, moving forward, I WAS trying to rebuild my credit in the hope that I can save some money (and maybe take out a small loan) to add the the £10k that my parents will gift me £10k to offer as a full and final settlement for the debt (which was in joint names). I have been advised that this is a silly idea and still, to just declare bankruptcy.

I just don't know what the best thing is to do. If I had enough money to offer a final settlement of £15k in 12-24 months, this means that my credit file will have been rebuilt and in a few more years, I should be in a position to buy a house. I won't have to tell my employer or any future employers, I won't have to declare a bankruptcy if I ever settle down in a new relationship and I'll have cleared the debt off my own back.

I feel like if I declare bankruptcy (I have around £100 disposable income each month after paying all bills etc), I'll constantly have to explain in the future to employers, mortgage companies, new partners that I was once bankrupt. I also cannot understand whether if I had £100 disposable income, do I just pay this for 12 months or for 3 years? I'm also worried as I've read your bank account is closed. What if it was closed whilst my wages were being paid in and I lose them for that month and cannot afford to pay any bills? We get paid at the end of the month, but I believe the cut off date to change your bank account details is around 10th of the month. My credit file will also plument and I'll be back to square one and presumably, not be able to buy another house for at least 6 years until the bankruptcy drops off. Could I even rent somewhere else? I currently lodge with a friend.

If I have a fleet car through work that I pay £80 extra tax a month for (as I have to travel >7000 miles per year for work), would this be okay? Would it be taken off me or could I keep it with a bankruptcy?

I just cannot weigh up whether it would be stupid to save and accept money from my parents to offer £15k settlement, when I could just declare bankruptcy. But worried about the long term, negative effects that this would have.
    Originally posted by crescent25

Hi Crescent

Thanks for posting.

The best thing to do would be to register with us for some free debt advice, as any advice we'd give to you would at least partly depend on your budget and level of debt.

I'll try and answer some of your points where I can though:

- There's not necessarily a right or wrong answer of whether you should look to do settlements or go bankrupt, it's down to you, with advice, to weigh up the pros and cons of both

- If you ended up with an income payment arrangement/order, this would be in place for 3 years.

- If your bank account was overdrawn, the debt would go into the bankruptcy and so you'd need to open a new basic account. If it has an overdraft facility even, the bank may close it and suggest you downgrade to a basic account. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't have a bank account after bankruptcy, you just won't be able to have an overdraft.

- I'm not sure with the car agreement, it's probably down to the official receiver's (OR) discretion. However, you should be able to have a vehicle one way or another if essential.

- Once discharged from bankruptcy, there's no rule to say that that you can't get a mortgage, though it certainly may be difficult as bankruptcy would stay on your credit file for 6 years. It may also be more difficult to get a private tenancy if they do a credit check, but not necessarily impossible.

So, all-in-all, little is certain, and it really comes down to weighing up the pros and cons of either option. There may be other alternatives too, which we can explore with you should you decide to register with us.

If you'd like to register with us, please visit: www.stepchange.org/Contactus

I hope this is helpful.

Allen

• StepChange_Allen
    Hi,

Looking for advice as I am struggling with trying to find a solution. I was in a cracking position financially last year and my credit rating couldnít have been better!!

I decide to buy a new car and things just spiralled down, due to various stupid ideas and get rich schemes (which didnít work) Iíve now landed myself in 45k of debt. My house is worth approx 230k and I have 180k of mortgage, the trouble is because I now have so much unsecured debt on loans and cards I canít remortgage to consolidate debt. This I know is not ideal but would help short term, as my career improves then I can clear the extra up quicker.

I canít borrow more and I canít afford to pay my monthly payments which is spiralling up! I canít hand the car back without owing thousands still and now Iím lost with what to do, itís now impacting on my health as Iím stressing about what am I supposed to do?

Dan
    Originally posted by YdidntI

Hi Dan

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Firstly, if the debts are now impacting on your health, I'd recommend speaking with your GP for some help and advice.

In regards to the debts, we can definitely help. In order to do so, we'd need to know more about your income, expenses and debts. You can provide this information and then receive some advice by registering with us free of charge.

Details of how to do this can be found at www.stepchange.org/Contactus

I hope this is helpful.

Allen

• StepChange_Allen
    Hi every one. So I'm in debt and want advice but any debt advice people I speak to seen to have limited options of bankruptcy or iva. What I want to know is who can I talk to that understand all aspects on money including mortgages and inheritance and debt. Who do I talk to? Thank you for your help
    Originally posted by Mrjohnp

Hi John

Thanks for posting.

At StepChange, we'd take into account any and all information in order to give you advice, so you're welcome to register with us free of charge. I'd recommend calling our main telephone advice line rather than registering online; details can be found on our website: www.stepchange.org/Contactus

I hope this helps.

Allen

• NewStart2017
    • By NewStart2017 5th Jun 19, 11:47 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NewStart2017
    Been abroad for years, moved back to UK, now debt collector chasing me
    Hello,

I've been abroad for many years, and moved back to UK (NI) late last year. I opened a credit builder credit card, signed onto the electoral roll again, but then decided to leave in spring this year. Today I received an email from Robinson Way about an old credit card debt which I *think* is statute barred. The debt is definitely well over 6 years old (possibly as much as 9 years), but I'm not sure if I ever acknowledged it in writing since it defaulted.

I am now registered as living in Portugal (as in I'm registered with the local town hall here, as self-employed). I'm wondering if I should:

1. Write to Robinson Way with your statute barred query letter template, not admitting liability and saying I believe it to be statute barred, asking them to prove otherwise;
    2. Tell them I no longer live in the UK;
    3. Ask them to only contact me via email (they've written to me at my parents' address, where I was living last year, and I don't want my parents worrying)

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
  • StepChange_Kirsty
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

It sounds as though you have a good plan of action in terms of contacting Robinson Way to confirm if the debt is statute barred. If you need any more information on statute barred debt there is a useful article on our website here.

You can certainly ask them to contact you only by email but some letters, such as court documents, do have to be sent via post so you may wish to update them with your Portugal address, so you donít miss anything important.

If the debt is not statute barred we would recommend looking to make an arrangement with them of what you can afford to pay. If you need debt advice we would recommend speaking to a debt advice service in Portugal.

I hope this helps.

Kirsty

Hello,

I've been abroad for many years, and moved back to UK (NI) late last year. I opened a credit builder credit card, signed onto the electoral roll again, but then decided to leave in spring this year. Today I received an email from Robinson Way about an old credit card debt which I *think* is statute barred. The debt is definitely well over 6 years old (possibly as much as 9 years), but I'm not sure if I ever acknowledged it in writing since it defaulted.

I am now registered as living in Portugal (as in I'm registered with the local town hall here, as self-employed). I'm wondering if I should:

1. Write to Robinson Way with your statute barred query letter template, not admitting liability and saying I believe it to be statute barred, asking them to prove otherwise;
    2. Tell them I no longer live in the UK;
    3. Ask them to only contact me via email (they've written to me at my parents' address, where I was living last year, and I don't want my parents worrying)

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Originally posted by NewStart2017

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter