Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    • 2,165Posts
    • 14,175Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 4:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 5:36 PM.
Page 110
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 21st Apr 19, 4:49 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 44,504 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks for the picture posting info edwink please don't go out of your way to find any more for me - I'm sure I've done it before and will figure out how to do it again

Our ladies have had a lovely sunny day out in the garden - I've been shovelling cow manure onto my veg beds so they've been having a great time flicking it all round
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 189.55 in 2019
    • edwink
    • By edwink 21st Apr 19, 10:12 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Delurking to thank you for the photos, Edwink. The third one is very sad in some ways, but lovely to see all the same.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Aww thank you Karmacat.

Yes the third one is very sad in some ways, but lovely to see them how they were and not as they were on the night of the fox attack that I witnessed. I have a very good memory and relive that day everyday at the moment and when I saw that photo this morning I thought long and hard about posting it on here then decided yes why not they were beautiful girls especially my handsome little man. I saw the pic and it made me smile for them that they were free range, could do what they wanted to, be proper happy hens and enjoy their retirement with us. My handsome man was a rescue boy also, which I was aware of his fate if I didn't take him in, but he had nearly 5 lovely enjoyable years with us.

OMG I do miss them so much but that was one of their nicest pics I took and when I saw it I thought bless them they were so lovely to have around but equally I felt sad too that they are no longer here but didn't want to hide the pic away and thought I'd show it so they will always be on here now on our hen thread.

RIP my little feathered friends, my handsome man and my 4 ducks x

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 21-04-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    2 Ducks only now which survived a recent fox attack , bless them
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • edwink
    • By edwink 24th Apr 19, 9:52 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Its spoiling time here for my two ducks. We got them some of their favourite mealworms and have been throwing a few handfuls in to the pond when the Pingu and Hoppy are in there and they go mad trying to gobble them up quickly. Because meal worms are so light they just float and Pingu and Hoppy just chase them everywhere. Lovely to see them enjoying themselves and I'm sure it takes their minds away from what happened.

Because Hoppy doesn't walk as quickly as Pingu the fairest way is to throw the meal worms in the pond and not on the grass or the ground so that way Hoppy can get as many as Pingu does. They don't stop rushing about in the pond until everyone of them has been eaten, bless them.

Don't know why I didn't think to get some sooner now but saw them the other day at the Poundshop online so got them 10 packets so that should last them quite a long time. As a rule meal worms are quite expensive if you buy them in a pet shop but its a good sized bag too from the Poundshop so was very happy to spot those for them. They deserve a nice treat and have plenty now.

Seeing the fencer again on Thursday with price etc. so hopefully moving in the right direction with that although it has been a bit slow but we have had the Bank Holiday in between. By all accounts he isn't expensive so looks as though he will be a lot cheaper than the 6,700 from the first quote we got.

How is everyone else getting on? All ducks and hens doing well I hope. With lots of tasty eggs being laid now the weather has warmed up.

I do miss my favourite egg and chips but flatly refuse to buy shop bought eggs or local farm eggs because I hate to think of the conditions those hens have been kept in and don't trust what I read on the box. I mean have you ever seen a hen roaming around in a wood? Woodland hens eggs are sold and labelled as such, yeah right!!

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 24-04-2019 at 4:22 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • SisterAnna
    • By SisterAnna 25th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    SisterAnna
    I'm another who doesn't keep poultry but just lurks and pops on here from time to time as love reading about everyones hens.

Edwink I am so sad for you at your huge loss. How sad for you and your husband. Must have been a terrible time for both of you and on your birthday of all days. Nice to see that you have now posted and said you will be getting some more rescue hens. These poor hens need people as caring a you as you really do give them the very best in their retirement.

It made me smile when I read your post about getting another 20. Well done to you for thinking ahead of these poor hens that need good homes such as yours. I know you are not ready yet as working on new fencing and more security but once that's done you will be surround by them once again which you love. So that is something to look forward too.

Oh and the pictures you posted were all so lovely. Pingu is adorable isn't she?. I've seen her picture before because she is your avatar but the picture you posted of her is more of a close up and can be seen clearer. Your other duck is so very sweet too.

Love and best wishes to both you and your husband x
    • edwink
    • By edwink 29th Apr 19, 9:05 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    The blooming fox is back!! Luckily Pingu and Hoppy had already been locked securely in to the coop early at 5.30pm last night. But, in the day light still at 7.30pm Pingu started quacking and didn't stop. We heard her as we keep the back windows of the house open downstairs. My husband ran out to see what was happening and the fox had leaped over a double height gate between the coop and the allotment area which was locked. My husband chased it and it ran across the allotment beds and literately leapt over a 6ft fence and through an 8ft tall hedge sending all my stacked flower pots flying. Poor Pingu and Hoppy. But the main thing is they were safe in the coop with it being locked up.

We are now going to need to net the 8ft hedge from the 6ft fence in front of it upwards. Doesn't look as though I will be getting my new rescue girls anytime soon now. Its just become too dangerous for them and I don't want them all left in the coop all day. Now we are going to have to put up more netting that we thought once the trellis fencing has been replaced. The new fence will be 6ft 6 and with 18 inches of netting above that that should be ok. But, now the blooming thing is leaping through a another area thats never been netted due to it being 8ft high but if the blooming fox is going to leap through it we will need to net or even chicken wire that too now.

Not worth thinking about getting anymore girls until all the extra security is in place and it is going to take a while to get all the extra netting up. We don't have acres of land but our garden is blooming huge and it looks as though we are going to need to fix double black netting everywhere now. The hedge is so dense and where the fox leapt through you can now see through it. Never thought a fox would ever be able to do that to that dense hedge in all honesty. We are still not sure how it is getting in which is a worry as we have looked everywhere we possibly can think of. Where the sly bu**er got out when he killed most of them we have boarded that fence another 2ft higher. So we know where the fox has exited twice now but not how it gets in.

Looks as though we are going to have to have a good old look around tomorrow again and see if we can find any obvious place he is getting through. We searched and searched before and couldn't find anywhere that obvious.

This is not going well here I'm really upset knowing the fox has been here again 5 weeks after he attacked and killed last time.

All for now

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 30-04-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Spacing

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 1st May 19, 5:02 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Still not good here as fox was about again last night on the other side of our boundary fence in next doors. As my husband crept out to check he heard it leap over their low fence which backs on to the woods. So obviously it is trying to get in from the other side now. Can't do much to that fencing as it is being replaced but some areas are already netted anyway. On the other side we have put up some more netting today but made it a double layer thick. The ivy that is growing up that fence will soon cover that netting and raise the height to 8ft. There are quite a few areas like this now with the extra high netting. That's about all we can keep doing until the new fence is in and then we will increase the height of that with netting too.

The guy who is going to do our fencing sadly lost his mother last week so now has a slight build up of work for his clients wanting their work done including us. I know there are other fencers out there but this guy has very reasonable rates and we have seen his work as he put up next doors fence a couple of weeks ago and it looks really good and sturdy. So we are just going to have to be patient with his I guess.

Where is everyone? All busy out with your hens, ducks and turkeys I guess. I know myself that as soon as the nicer weather is here there is always so much to be getting on with when you keep poultry as there hotels need cleaning out more often etc.

I do miss having little hens around my feet, the place looks so empty without them . After 10 years of having 30 at one time to now having none I find it so hard being outside and not having little hens follow me everywhere and get under my feet.

We are not going to let that fox beat us, we are determined.

All for now

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st May 19, 10:02 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 44,504 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw edwink, so sorry the fox has been back again must feel like you're under siege. You're doing all you can. I can't imagine being without hens now and we've only had them, well, it'll be 8 months tomorrow since we got ours.

All good here, ladies are sprightly and cheerful and pesky. Rusty has discovered that Mr Cheery is a good source of apples - she went very determinedly after a whole one he was eating the other day and very nearly got away with it since then at any sniff of an apple she's up on his knee, and even his shoulder if necessary

Should probably discourage her really but it's quite amusing

Mr Cheery is making plans for alterations to the hen house - just raising it higher off the floor so they can get underneath it which will give them a bit more floor space in the run, and putting in a few more ventilation holes (it's fine now but will need more in the summer I think, and especially if we end up getting this cockerel too).

So all good but I do need to remember to order some more diatom earth stuff tomorrow!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 2nd May 19, 12:11 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    So all good but I do need to remember to order some more diatom earth stuff tomorrow!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Cheery the best/cheapest place I have found to buy Diatomaceous earth is eBay. You can buy a huge 5kg tub for example by Smite which is 27.99 free post and it's organic. That size would last months and months. I've had mine over a year now. We used to purchase it in the small containers for around 5 each. The round containers where you just took the lid off and could puff the powder out when needed. So we kept one of those containers and we refill it with a spoon from our huge 5kg tub. They sell the round containers on eBay for 6.99 for 350g. If you buy the 5kg tub You will end up with around just under 15 refilled containers. So if you were to pay 6.99 each for them it would cost you around 105 to buy around 5kg's.

It comes in a huge white rectangle tub with Smite on the front and DE Earth. You can reseal the tub as the white lid fits back on really firmly which keeps the earth fresh.

Maybe just have a look at it and see what you think. Definitely will save you a lot of money in the long run as it has done for us.

HTH

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 02-05-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 2nd May 19, 10:54 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 44,504 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks for the info edwink we actually bought it from eBay last time but i have no idea what i was thinking (as usual ) and bought 500g bag of food grade stuff for 6.99

Not this time though went for a 10kg bag for 16.96 with free delivery we've very fortunately got plenty of storage space and also plenty of the that can be repurposed and it seemed cheaper in a bag. Should be here in a few days.

Had to leave the chickens in the run this morning when i went to work as it was so misty - they didn't seem impressed even though Mr Cheery let them out an hour later when the mist had lifted.

This evening after work e sat in the run with them for a while and two of them got up onto Mr Cheery's knee and just settled in for a nice rest. Most cute
    • SunMoonStars
    • By SunMoonStars 3rd May 19, 1:48 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    SunMoonStars
    Do hens dig up gardens?
    Hi folks,

May I slightly take the thread off-topic for a wee bit of advice?

I have always had a notion that I would get hens one day, but never got round to it. A friend has offered us the chance to re-home their hens, which is lovely, but because I am a keen gardener I am wondering what to expect in terms of mischief to plants in the garden when they are out and about, which sorts of plantings they tend to prefer etc. I have a large garden which also backs onto fields, so I am thinking that with plenty of space to roam they should be ok.

Any advice / thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks in advance 😀
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 3rd May 19, 2:19 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 44,504 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hi sunmoonstars welcome!

You're not taking us off topic at all - you're talking about hens, which is perfect!

I've only had hens since September myself so you might not want to rely wholly on my experience but...

Yes, they will likely dig up some of your garden In my (admittedly limited) experience they go for exposed earth the most, and tend to ignore more mature planting. Ours have been an absolute nuisance when I was trying to plant some bedding plants - jumping in the whole I'd just dug etc

However, they quickly move on to something else. With the bedding plants, when I'd just planted them, I put a ring of short sticks around them, facing outwards at an angle, to discourage the hens - and they have left them alone completely.

I think it probably does depend on the space you have. Our actual chicken run (which is probably 4x2m) has literally no grass - that was destroyed very quickly. However ours are free range most of the time, and we are surrounded by fields with no fence to the garden, so they have plenty of space and so the garden itself is fine.

They have managed to dig a couple of bare patches on the lawn - mostly where one of them spots a worm, and then gets stuck in trying to find another one and the others join her and they create a bare patch in half an hour However when they've done that, once we've spotted it, we've just stuck a bit of mesh over it (or some sticks round it) to encourage them to move on while it grows back.

I think with a more confined space it's likely they'll dig up everything in it, but if they have plenty of room, they'll probably just create the odd bare patch. Try to discourage from bare soil if you've just planted something, but once plants are more mature, they tend to leave them alone.

Having said that, we've only had ours since September and so it's quite possible that once I get a load of veg in the ground they'll completely destroy it so...
    • edwink
    • By edwink 3rd May 19, 11:46 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi folks,
    May I slightly take the thread off-topic for a wee bit of advice?
    I have always had a notion that I would get hens one day, but never got round to it. A friend has offered us the chance to re-home their hens, which is lovely, but because I am a keen gardener I am wondering what to expect in terms of mischief to plants in the garden when they are out and about, which sorts of plantings they tend to prefer etc. I have a large garden which also backs onto fields, so I am thinking that with plenty of space to roam they should be ok.
    Any advice / thoughts appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance ��
    Originally posted by SunMoonStars
    Hi SunMoonStars

How lovely you have joined in with our hen friendly thread. As Cheery says you are not off topic because amongst other poultry it is more often than not hen chat and questions on here so you are very welcome to ask anything you are interested to know about.

Ok so your garden is lovely and big for hens so that's a really good start. You will need to consider where you would put a coop for them and as Cheery has already said the ground in it will be bald in no time. They will find any areas in your garden that has spare earth with no plants in it and they will dig at it and flick soil about until it resembles a bath for them then they will all start dust bathing in it and any other bald areas in your flower beds they will often do the same to. So the best thing to do would be to provide them with this facility in their coop. Nice wide but not too deep container like a large cat litter tray or bigger and fill it with dry soil and they will happily use that if you keep it topped up with nice dry soil.

Hens are incredibly clever and don't tend to eat plants that are poisonous for them. But, there is one which is a definite no no and that is rhubarb leaves because they contain Oxalic acid which is very poisonous to hens, so personally even though we grow our own fruit and veg here we don't grow rhubarb for that reason. Although you could still grow it and cover it over with netting or keep it well out of their reach. I've always thought that if they eat chard which they do, rhubarb leaves resemble chard and my worry has always been they might be tempted to just try a bite of them.

You mentioned that you back on to a field. How tall is the fence that backs on to this field?. Is it fox jumping/climbing height? We back on to woods and have kept hens and ducks for 10 years now without any problems from foxes until just recently. To say it's been a nightmare is an understatement and we already had a fair amount of netting and chicken wire fixed above some fences but a fox found its way in sadly and we lost 9 out of our 11 ducks and hens in March. My husband has chased it out twice recently and once it leapt up and out straight through a dense 8ft hedge. So you may need netting on top of your fences if you have a fox population in your area. If you have a dog that will help to keep a fox out.

If you have any further questions please just come on here and ask. Both Cheery and I are normally about on here somewhere plus we have other hen keepers too that post that can answer questions and others that don't keep hens but are interested in what us hen keepers and our hens are getting up to so you are very welcome to join in.

One thing to remember with hens is that they are the Landrovers of the poultry world and are very agile. So will climb up anything that is available. Only last year when we cleared a lot of Clematis off the top of our chicken coop wired roof which is around just over 10ft high did we find a pile of eggs up there. So one of the hens at some stage over our 9 years then of keeping hens found her way up there and decided it was her place to lay so did it for a while because there was a huge pile of them up there. Goodness only knows how old these eggs were, bless her.

HTH

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 03-05-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • SunMoonStars
    • By SunMoonStars 4th May 19, 8:04 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    SunMoonStars
    Thanks folks for your brilliant replies.

I only have a couple of border beds which occasionally have bare soil, they are sited 100m or so from where the coop will be, so I am thinking that if they show interest in the beds and borders I will try the sticks method. Or maybe I just need to buy more plants so there’s no soil showing

The veg patch is already enclosed by chicken wire so that should be fine. Thanks for the tip about Rhubarb Edwink, I would never have known that, something to consider.

My garden sounds similar to yours Cheery, in that it backs onto fields. The fence is a low wire fence that they can go through. They have the same fencing in the garden from where they are relocating from and quite happily navigate that into the wide world beyond.

Edwink - that must have been horrible to lose your birds like that to foxes.

Quite a few of our farming neighbours keep hens and they are fine roaming free range during the day, but they must be brought in every night, and the coops / runs need to be dug in deep and made very secure, on top too, as our main predator is a natural climber - the pinemartin. No foxes here though. I have the space in the area I have planned for the chickens so will be able to make a decent sized run. Was thinking 6m x 3m or thereabouts. Would that be adequate if for whatever reason they had to stay in the run for the odd day e.g. when I have to go for overnight hospital appointments and I won’t be back to let them out?

Another question - are hens likely to show any interest in in polytunnel plastic? We have just put up a Keder tunnel after dreaming about one and saving up for it for years. Dead pleased with it mind!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by SunMoonStars; 04-05-2019 at 8:11 AM.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th May 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Thanks folks for your brilliant replies. Edwink - that must have been horrible to lose your birds like that to foxes.

Quite a few of our farming neighbours keep hens and they are fine roaming free range during the day, but they must be brought in every night, and the coops / runs need to be dug in deep and made very secure, on top too, as our main predator is a natural climber - the pinemartin. No foxes here though. I have the space in the area I have planned for the chickens so will be able to make a decent sized run. Was thinking 6m x 3m or thereabouts. Would that be adequate if for whatever reason they had to stay in the run for the odd day e.g. when I have to go for overnight hospital appointments and I won’t be back to let them out?

Another question - are hens likely to show any interest in in polytunnel plastic? We have just put up a Keder tunnel after dreaming about one and saving up for it for years. Dead pleased with it mind! Thanks again!
    Hi thanks for posting again

Yes it was horrible, really horrible. After 10 years and having 30 ducks and rescue hens at one time we were so shocked that a fox came on to our land as our security is really high knowing full well that we back on to woods and that there would be foxes up there. We have seen them ourselves on walks up there. So shocked even now . Talking of which my husband chased it back out at 6.30am this morning and it literately leaped over a 5ft 5" fence including leaping through a couple of Lilac trees and other tall shrubs. This fox is being an absolute nightmare at the moment and hasn't given in since the attack in March.

Anyway sorry to ramble on but I am very passionate about what I do for my rescue girls and was hoping to get some more soon but I dare not just at the moment. I really miss them so much

Ok so your question about your Polly tunnel. No they won't touch the plastic. I have one here and they do like to go inside and have a mooch around. Mine is small so I use it for storing all my plant bits and bobs like veg trays etc. They have never touched the plastic ever but they have laid eggs on the lower shelf in one of the empty plant trays. I had to go up there daily to collect them. So your plastic is safe but your plants may not be if the door is left open. Maybe you could net the door(s) so only you have access and not them.

With regards to the coop you may like to consider doing what we have done and that is to sink the chicken wire in to the ground and throw a load of old bricks on top to hold the wire down and pull it straight then pour concrete on the top. That way there is no way a fox or any other animal can dig under the wire and get to them at night or whilst they are in the coop if you have a day out and leave them in the coop as you may be back late. Ours is sunk in to the ground to around 3ft down in the ground all the way round the whole boundary except for the two doors of course. If you can't do that you could lay paving slabs or rocks all the way around the boundary and just check on a very regular basis to make sure nothing is trying to dig their way in anywhere. If you do find that you see evidence of digging just fill the hole back in and lay some additional paving slabs further out from the others and just make it harder and harder for predators to get in.

The coop door will need to be strong and secure with maybe two bolt type locks. We have one lock half way up and another lock at the bottom. Plus we have extra wood around the door its self so there is a double layer of wood which makes the door stronger. Also our doors have chicken wire on the outside of them so a fox can not scratch its way in. Our hens hotel and nesting box is externally attached to their coop so they are totally covered in chicken wire including the hotel roof and all of the nesting box plus the nesting box is bolted shut. This may seem a bit over the top but as we back on to woods we have always known that their security at night was paramount so went for gold when putting the coop up etc. 10 years ago.

I hope this info has given you some help.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 06-05-2019 at 9:40 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • SunMoonStars
    • By SunMoonStars 7th May 19, 11:19 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    SunMoonStars
    Thanks Edwink,

Really useful advice, loads of pointers to keep me on the right track.

��
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th May 19, 9:56 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Thanks Edwink,

Really useful advice, loads of pointers to keep me on the right track. ��
    Do come back and let us know what you decide to do. Would be nice to have a new poster on here with happy hen stories if you definitely decide to rehome the hens with you.

You will be surprised how much fun it is keeping hens. All of them have a personality of their own. They are loving funny little things and the bonus is you get lovely fresh eggs from them in return for looking after them. You can't get better than that.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th May 19, 8:00 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Pingu and Hoppy have spent most of the day out and about as we lined up outdoor jobs to do this weekend so they could spend time out of the coop. Otherwise they are being supervised closely whilst in the pond or mooching about around the pond area and then they go back in to the coop for a few hours until we are back outside again for more supervised time.

We just don't trust that fox one little bit. I know I have already mentioned that he was seen here again and when my hubby ran out the back he leapt over the 6ft fence, through 2 Lilac trees and other shrubs to reach the other side. Well when he did that he left a gap in the trees and shrubs which obviously is now visible. Now we have noticed there are another 2 gaps in different areas of that same section of fencing. So we know even though we haven't seen the fox that he has been in near the house again. We have one loose fence post in that section that is on the list for replacing so we have put off netting that area but it looks as though we will have to net it then take the netting down and put it back once that post is replaced.

Besides the fox being here again which is not good news we have now received a favourable quote for the new fencing which is great. The only thing is the guy forgot about the 6 posts we want replacing from other areas so he is adding that to his quote and will get back to us. Might as well get those posts done at the same time. The posts are ok still so not worried about them but after another winter they will need replacing anyway so we have decided to do it all in one go. So slight progress here but we are definitely not in the fast lane yet

The main thing is Pingu and Hoppy are fine and spending all their time together bless them. When I go up to the coop I see them sitting side by side which is lovely to see because those two were not mates before as we never saw those two together ever. Pingu was always with Ebony and Hoppy always sat with Cathy the Aylesbury female duck. Its so nice to see them together now and it warms my heart, it really does.

How is everyone else getting on? All good with your feathered friends I hope.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 12-05-2019 at 8:15 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th May 19, 9:04 PM
    • 31,627 Posts
    • 186,672 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I don't have any feathered friends that live with me (apart from the sets of wild birds who use my garden in rotation ) but its good to read this thread. I'm so sorry the fox is still circling Pingu and Hoppy it must be very hard to cope with.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th May 19, 9:30 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    I don't have any feathered friends that live with me (apart from the sets of wild birds who use my garden in rotation ) but its good to read this thread. I'm so sorry the fox is still circling Pingu and Hoppy it must be very hard to cope with.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Aww thank you Karmacat, yes it is hard coping with the fox and it is really upsetting me to be honest. I am constantly worried as I am hard of hearing whereas my hubby hears perfectly. He only works two days a week now so its only those two days that I'm on my own with them but he's home by mid afternoon, thankfully. I take my coffee out with me in the morning so they can go in the pond and mooch about for an hour or so and hubby does the same when he is home. When I am out sitting with them I'm looking about in all directions just checking all the time. My hubby says that the fox won't come in to the garden if either of us are out there but I just don't trust this fox to be honest.

We have wild birds nesting at the moment in our bird boxes. We have Blue Tits not far from the house which are fantastic to watch and Greenfinches in the box further away. Also Robins nesting in one of the hedges. In our log storing area which is quite away from the house we have a bird box attached to our huge tree for wild birds but the bees have made a home of it. We don't mind who lives in the boxes as we encourage bees with the flowers we grow anyway.

I made a bug hotel last year but I don't think anything is living in it yet as I haven't seen anything go in or out of it. I must remember to post a pic of it on here.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 12-05-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 15th May 19, 3:47 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    edwink
    Oh my goodness this netting is taking forever. We managed another 2 sections today thankfully so that's another 2 ticked off the long list. We have now managed to net over 100ft + we reckon. The netting is 6ft6 so we have to cut it in half length ways as straight as possible to keep it neat, then cut baton wood to correct length or leave it at ground length for extra support. Then screw and cable tie on to fence posts both ends of the netting and leave a few screws proud so they stick out a bit so we can stretch and attach the netting to the screws.

Both of us up a ladder in this heat with my hubbies Popeye style elbows bashing me in the face and neck is not my idea of fun but it has to be done. We found yet another area where it is pretty obvious that the fox has been leaping over just about. I say just because he/she, more likely a he this time of year is clipping the ivy and Honeysuckle covered fence which is about 6ft6 tall without the netting. There was a bald area in the ivy and snapped/broken stems with quite a few dead ivy and Honey Suckle leaves on the ground. So he is making his way over but only just as has disturbed the shrubs and there was a big dip where all and sundry were broken so no leaves in that bit. He won't give up will he? sadly.

We have also supervised very closely today for an hour at a time whilst Pingu and Hoppy have had a nice swim twice today. I say closely as hubby keeps hearing noises and goes off to investigate leaving me sitting with them. Pingu had a mad half hour and appears much happier now but Hoppy doesn't like the splashing because water goes everywhere including over me. So I sat with her at the side of the pond whilst she was just calmly floating keeping out of Pingu the nutters way. I splashed Hoppy gently and rubbed the water on her back in to her feathers. Then washed her bib and gave her some nice TLC whilst Pingu was still acting like a Looney. So nice to see Hoppy so relaxed and Pingu having fun. Gives hubby and I a break too whilst sitting with them and some quality time together but we have to stop fixing the netting up and just watch over them.

The fences, wait for it, are being done this weekend, hopefully. If not definitely next week, at long last. Materials have been ordered apparently, deposit paid and now just waiting for a phone call for the start date and materials to be delivered. I'm relieved as it is going to take a lot of weight off our shoulders having a new higher fence in two areas, one on the boundary of roughly 80ft at 6ft6 and the other across our land at 7ft. Both will also be netted as soon as our newly ordered netting arrives. We still have some netting left for tomorrows net fitting so can still carry on doing that.

I have just had a shower and I am sure I blocked the big drain plug thingy up as I had bits of ivy, twigs and bobbly bits from the Honeysuckle flowers being washed out of my hair. I thought I had brushed most of it out in the garden before I came in but when washing it that confirmed that I hadn't. Oh well nobody is perfect and my hair is right down my back so that's my excuse for not thoroughly brushing it first. Now have a clean top on and dungarees and when hair is dry I shall plait it so I have my pigtails back. Now I am doing nothing except for preparing salad supper and other healthy bits.

Right that's enough waffle from me. How is everyone else and their feathered friends. Its been really quite on here lately, where is everyone?. Busy with your feathered friends and enjoying this warm weather I hope. As long as all your girls are fine that the most important thing.

No firm decision made now on getting more hens because of this very persistent pesky fox. But, am thinking long and hard about it. Their safety for me is extremely important and I must insure it is safe to have them here first. Just keeping going getting jobs done, supervising the 2 ducks and once new fencing is in and all netting finished shall hopefully be able to make the decision then.

Thank you for reading if you got this far. Only just realised how long this post is, my goodness me I do waffle on don't I?.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 15-05-2019 at 4:03 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

8,020Users online

Martin's Twitter