Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • rdone
    • By rdone 16th Sep 15, 7:42 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    I,m off to the 'North Island' in a couple of weeks so will check out Primarni for socks and Jammies for the kids (teens) - we,ve always had a film night Christmas Eve, opened one present which amazingly is new PJ,s, fluffy socks, popcorn and hot chocolate

I tried to stop it the year before last, along with the removal of Christmas stockings and there was a revolt . I guess no matter how old your kids are they are still kids x
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    My mother has always done this as well and tried to stop. Last year was my first year in my own house and she even came over on Christmas Eve to give me mine! And I bought for my H2B. It#s a tradition that can never stop and I will certainly be passing onto my children when we have some. It's all part of the magic!
    • rdone
    • By rdone 16th Sep 15, 7:52 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    I've got all wrapping paper, cards and sticky tape from last year. We see the majority of people we send cards to so stamps aren't really an issue. I also use it as an excuse to go and see the people we don't tend to get to during the year!

I've started a few small presents already and am trying to rattle my brain for idea's for others. I also have my dads, mothers, mother in laws, nephews and brothers birthdays between now and then although I have most of that sorted.

With my H2B's sisters and brothers in law we tend to do Secret Santa so I have just asked them if we can draw names. Last year it was left until the beginning of December and it made me panic! I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of groans from them for asking so early!
    • alittlemadam
    • By alittlemadam 16th Sep 15, 8:03 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    alittlemadam
    Every year I trawl the sales looking for suitable things for the following Christmas picking up bargains on the way, this year I picked up 10 packs of 10 sheets of paper for 3.00, cards were 70% off the original price that includes family cards as well, slippers, smellies, clothing, decorations, mincemeat next to nothing I think the rrp of every thing I bought should have been at least 200 + I've spent so far 80 quids in
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 16th Sep 15, 9:42 AM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    I had more wrapping paper from last year but it seems my rabbit has chewed some. I will look to see what I can salvage and use.

I'm saving Nectar points for goodies for Christmas day. It's 25ish and enough to get in some nice meat, cheeses and pates. That's all we do really.

It will be nice to spend Christmas without worrying about having to go to work this season. My children are 11 and 7 this year and although eldest assures me youngest still believes I can't wait till we can hand each other a gift that we have thought about ourselves. This Santa bloke gets too much credit and I really regret going down that route 11 years ago.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • thegreenone
    • By thegreenone 16th Sep 15, 11:48 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    thegreenone
    Oooh just found this thread after reading Martin's email.

My boys are in their twenties so prefer money but I still have to do the stockings with the obligatory chocolate orange! In January this year I had an LBM and bought two savings tins from card factory 99p each. Each week I put a fiver in each, up until DS2s birthday in July. I gave him his tin and put his brother's aside for his birthday next month. He is away at uni. So I will open it and pay the money into his account. I returned to card factory and bought two more tins and now add a tenner a week to each which should give them roughly 200 each for Christmas. That's the biggest expense sorted!

I have loads of wrapping paper so need cards. I have Mr TGO's parents, sister and bil and nephews presents, just need something for niece and sorted there. So my mum, Mr TGO and a couple of nephews and a niece on my side and I'm done. We don't go a bundle on Christmas food anyway - it's a jazzed up Sunday lunch so not much extra expense.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 16th Sep 15, 3:02 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    Doveling
    For all you mums on here - just came across this

Father Christmas - What would you like this year?

Mum - A beautiful unicorn!

Father Christmas - Be realistic

Mum - Oh, ok. I'd like to drink a hot cup of tea and go to the toilet on my own.

Father Christmas - What colour unicorn would you like?

Made me I remember those days well
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 16th Sep 15, 10:32 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Doveling.......I love it!

Have a chest of drawers full of " stuff" for gifts....really must sort and allocate to as many people as possible

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 16th Sep 15, 10:52 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    Next batch of dried fruit for xmas cake - now on Mr T for Friday delievery x
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • rdone
    • By rdone 18th Sep 15, 12:59 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    I need to start my Christmas cake!

We drew the Secret Santa and I got one of my brother in laws. I think I'm pretty okay with what to get him. He loves photography and marvel so I think I'll go down that route.

Bought our niece and nephews presents from toys r us yesterday and got a 10 voucher as I spent over 40 (a whole 3p to be exact!). You can use the voucher on a minimum 10 spend but has to be used by Thursday. I'm going to take back one of the items that cost 10 and then re-buy it with the voucher. A nice little 10 saving for a little inconvenience!

I'm desperate for the shopping to be done now.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 18th Sep 15, 1:46 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    For all you mums on here - just came across this

Father Christmas - What would you like this year?

Mum - A beautiful unicorn!

Father Christmas - Be realistic

Mum - Oh, ok. I'd like to drink a hot cup of tea and go to the toilet on my own.

Father Christmas - What colour unicorn would you like?

Made me I remember those days well
    Originally posted by Doveling
    True dat!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 18th Sep 15, 4:07 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    I just though - hmmm must add last years link into the start of the thread as there's loads of good stuff there which is useful to read back on

I'm utterly stunned to see this is actually the sixth year we've ran this thread. WOW! It got earlier and earlier, mainly so I could wind Pink up. She would ring me swearing profusely (in a funny way of course), laughing and telling me off at the same time about how it was much too early for Christmas, so i did it earlier each year to wind her up. It makes me sad to say that out loud but delighted as it's a great memory. I miss her an awful awful lot.

here are the links folks if you have time to kill

Christmas 2014 mega thread

Christmas 2013 mega thread

Christmas 2012 mega thread

Christmas 2011 mega thread

Christmas 2010 mega thread

this year i will not be indulging in presents. I will give the 3 kiddies i always buy for money but i'll be telling everyone else this is a no gift exchange year again. Christmas should be about yummy food, sparkly lights, a tacky tree and most importantly being with the ones you love - family and selected family (ie friends)

Okay, i've made myself cry . I'm away for now.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 18th Sep 15, 8:13 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    loocyloo
    I keep trying to persuade mine and DHs siblings that we don't need presents! and to just buy for all the nieces & nephews ( but they are getting into teenage years, so not cheap or easy to buy for! )
    or at least to do a secret santa between us.

some are up for it, but a couple refuse to not buy for everyone! ( and they are the ones for whom money is no object and whose children are only interested in how much any of their presents cost. :0( no handmade or 'quirky' gifts welcome. its very sad. )

I wish I could buy presents in advance for people! my childrens tastes change like the wind, ( although I do buy clothing in advance! ) and I never know what to get anyone!

I do have Christmas cards - bought at a summer fair at 20p for a pack of 10! and lots of wrapping paper picked up in January.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 18th Sep 15, 9:03 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    I added a couple more bits to xmas list, - do a tray of goodies for the doctors surgery, - got 2 boxes of latte coffees, posh tea bags, and hot choc sachets - all in for 5 inc tray - bit of cello wrap - look a million dollars xx

I had an email 2ngt from dotcomgiftshopif your sign up / signed up for the newsletter, you get free delievery if you send 10 rather than the standard 50 spend for free delievery xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 18-09-2015 at 9:07 PM.
    • positivelypurple
    • By positivelypurple 23rd Sep 15, 10:10 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 3,877 Thanks
    positivelypurple
    Hello everyone!

I'm joining in with the Christmas 2015 prep and getting serious today as we have a day off school. I have done really well the last few years with early prep and generally being organised well in advance. We're not travelling this year so Christmas at home will make things a lot less stressful.

I have already got a few things stashed away and have been gathering ideas. I really need to get focused in the next week so that I can spread the cost.

Really looking forward to keeping up with everyone's planning over the next 3 months.
    CC1 930 CC2 5850 Total Debt May 14 7087.50 6780
    NSDs October 0/20
    Weight Loss 0/10
    Pay off 3000 by 31st December 2015
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 23rd Sep 15, 4:15 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    some bargain updates...

Argos - toys are 3 for 2

Morrisons - tins of sweets 2 for 7, (quality street, roses, heroes, celebrations (not sure on any more non in our store).
    Maximum 4 per person x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 23rd Sep 15, 4:50 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 26,381 Thanks
    csarina2
    Many years ago we came to an arrangement with our children, the money they were going to spend on us to spend on their children. It works very well. We only send cards to a limited number of people, the rest get a newsy email.

This year for the first time since we moved back to the Midlands, that we are not hosting our youngest daughter for Christmas lunch. This year we are going to her, but I am buying the turkey crown as usual.

I always have quilty things that I can use for a present if I do need one.
    Target figure 2400
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Sep 15, 4:52 PM
    • 29,079 Posts
    • 61,818 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have just realised there are 2 Christmas threads on this board - time to get merging, zip?

Reading this thead has made me realise that I'm not looking forward to Christmas at all this year. How sad.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 23rd Sep 15, 6:26 PM
    • 9,332 Posts
    • 60,090 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Christmas is what you choose to make of it. You can get suckered in by all the media hype (your Christmas has to be done THIS way or you have failed) or you can start your own traditions and make the season one to look forward to and enjoy in your way, nobody else's. I am a public service employee and I won't know till some time in November whether I will be working over Christmas or not. If I am, we will have our celebrations somewhere around that time and will still enjoy it.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 23rd Sep 15, 10:22 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    I have just realised there are 2 Christmas threads on this board - time to get merging, zip?

Reading this thead has made me realise that I'm not looking forward to Christmas at all this year. How sad.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I know 12 mths ago I was just going through the motions of organising Xmas, more for the sake of my daughter and in a way to keep my mind off things, my father had been diagnoised with bowel cancer, it was touch and go on more than one occasion, he is in remission, I couldnt be more grateful.

Sending you a big hug xxx
    • positivelypurple
    • By positivelypurple 24th Sep 15, 6:05 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 3,877 Thanks
    positivelypurple
    Morning all,

A little more progress today; I ordered Christmas Day dresses for myself and DD, they came with 20% off and free delivery. I'm planning on wearing mine to a Christmas party before the big day too. DS only wants a new pair of shoes so will get those when he comes shopping with me. Decided on what to get two of our nieces yesterday but will delay that purchase until payday.

I have stashed away quite a few things during the year in the Christmas cupboard. I really need to have a look at what I've got and for whom so that I can update my main list.

Feeling quite excited now and looking forward to being completely done by 30th November. Then I can enjoy the whole month of December
    CC1 930 CC2 5850 Total Debt May 14 7087.50 6780
    NSDs October 0/20
    Weight Loss 0/10
    Pay off 3000 by 31st December 2015
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin