Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 18th Dec 12, 10:36 AM
    • 6,147Posts
    • 54,318Thanks
    Frugaldom
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    • 18th Dec 12, 10:36 AM
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge 18th Dec 12 at 10:36 AM
    Frugaldom's Frugal Living Challenge

It's that time of year again, the time when we all need to start thinking ahead into the new year and how we are going to tackle any debts, generate extra income and squirrel away some savings.

Please take the time to read posts 1 and 2 in full and check out the HANDY LINKS section.

To help avoid clogging up this very fast-moving thread, please private message Frugaldom to have your name added to the challenger list.

NB: THIS IS AN ADAPTED VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL CHALLENGE, SPECIFICALLY FOR MSE FORUM USERS

This is an adaptation of Frugaldom's 'Living on £4,000 for a Year' challenge. It has been running here on MSE for the past 5 years, but the actual challenge began several years previously, elsewhere. It has seen many changes over the years, so this version is a catalogue of diaries charting the progress of 'debt free wannabe' money savers.

Your budget is personal to you, it should fit with your personal financial situation.

Some have achieved their debt free status and now follow frugal lifestyles in order to stay debt free. Others are still pursuing that dream. Whichever stage you are at, feel free to join us for 2013 and share your journey as you give debts the heave-ho once and for all.

Edited in - the MSE version of the 2014 Frugal Living Challenge is HERE

The following links will take you to previous MSE versions of this challenge:

The 2013 Challenge - this one

The 2012 Challenge

Part 1 - January to March 2011
    Part 2 - April to June 2011
    Part 3 - July to December 2011

Introduction to the 2010 Challenge
    Part 1 - January to March 2010
    Part 2 - April to June 2010
    Part 3 - July to September 2010
    Part 4 - October to December 2010

Part 1 - January to March 2009
    Part 2 - April to June 2009
    Part 3 - July to September 2009
    Part 4 - October to December 2009

Part 1 - January to March 2008
    Part 2 - April to June 2008
    Part 3 - July to September 2008
    Part 4 - October to December 2008

IMPORTANT
    Please respect others' lifestyles and beliefs. We are not here to judge, we are here to support. Thank you

This challenge is about living a frugal lifestyle - establishing your true cost of living, sticking to your budget, clearing any debts and making savings wherever and however you can to enable you to live the life you really want.

Frugal living isn't for everyone, but everyone is welcome to join us. Methods employed by our merry band of frugalers include batch cooking, stockpiling, preserving, foraging, mending, shopping in charity shops, reducing, reusing, recycling, Local Exchange Trading Schemes (LETS), Vegetable and fruit growing, allotments, keeping hens, using cashback sites and earning whatever it takes to become self sufficient in managing the cost of living without incurring debt.

For some it is initially about clearing debt, for others it's about increasing savings, buying property, becoming stay at home mums or paying off the mortgage early. Some choose the lifestyle on ethical grounds. Above all, this is a fun and supportive way to manage your budget so you have control of your own cost of living. It's about NEEDS and not WANTS.

Living on a budget = living within our means.
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cashback sites but always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join Freecycle or other similar waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting for better discounts & shared postal costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Free scratchcards
    Matched betting
    Free online bingo
    eBid and eBay trading
    etc, etc, etc...

Monitoring and revising the budget is part of frugal living plan. Gifts & cards could all to be homemade, livestock needs to pay its own keep, anything else needs to be cash neutral.

HANDY LINKS
    (I am neither endorsing nor recommending any of the links provided here, members of our extended frugal community have simply found them to contain helpful information.)

Approved Food - Some amazing bargains if you don't mind short dates or past sell by Ė save a fortune whilst saving it from landfill!
    Bite Card - 20% off food at train stations (ideal for regular travellers)
    Budgetbrain - MSE's free to use budget analysis tool - BRILLIANT!
    Carrot recipes - loads of ways to use up those carrots
    CASHBACK - The official MSE list of sites offering the best cashback deals
    Complete (MSE) cooking collection - Loads and loads and loads of recipes
    Coupon thread on MSE - For coupons, money off and discounts
    Crafting for Christmas - homemade presents
    Eggs, eggs, eggs - Frugaldom's '100 things to do with eggs' list
    Electricity & Gas savings - monitor your electricity & gas with the MoneySaving Carbon Club
    Flannel Cake making - unusual gifts
    Food Bargains - Discounted food, short dated and past 'BBE' dates
    Foraging & Preserving - free foods, when, where, what to do with them
    Free crafts ideas - how to make papier mache banks etc
    Freecycle - don't bin it, rehome it
    Freegle - Originally Freecycle in UK
    FREE Spreadsheet - link to Cheryl's (CW18) budget spreadsheet
    Frugaldom - Home of this challenge
    Gift Baskets & Hampers - an index to the MSE relevant threads
    Gifts in a jar - you don't need a canner for these
    Greenfingered money saving - Gardening & growing your own food
    Grocery bargains - Supermarket price reduction times
    Homemade Rhubarb Champagne - quick, cheap and easy
    How to make a sealed pot - saving all your spare change in papier mache banks
    Hunger Site - Charity site where every click counts
    i-Measure - log your meter readings and try to reduce your carbon footprint
    Laundry Gloop and loads of other frugal cleaning related 'recipes'
    Leftovers - don't bin them, get creative, make another meal.
    LETS - Local Exchange Trading Schemes and alternative currencies within communities
    Martin's mad moneysaver ads - a surprising new addition to the site - advertising offers!
    Martin's current offers & discount codes - updated daily
    Menu Planning - hundreds of options and suggestions
    My FREE spreadsheet - where to download from
    Nutrition and diet info, an excellent thread - thanks to Weezl74
    Old Style indexed collection - Indexed collection of links, hints and tips for anything old style, moneysaving and frugal.
    Preparing for winter the frugal way
    Recipes part 1 - thanks to Rosieben on the Grocery Challenge
    Recipes part 2 - thanks, again, to Rosieben
    Remoska discussion - everything you need to know about Remoska ovens
    ROSSPA - Cheap groceries & fresh produce direct to your door.
    Rural Moneysaving Hunt - official MSE discussion
    Selling on eBid - decluttering and recycling for cash with no listing fees
    Slow Cooker Recipes - on MSE
    Snowman Soup - always a favourite with frugallers during the festive season
    Soapnuts - The frugal, eco-friendly alternative to soap powder or detergents (free samples)
    Soapnuts thread on MSE - discuss, ask questions here
    Spending Diary - excellent free resource for recording your spends
    Start a cottage industry - the official MSE discussion
    Veg Planner - free printable vegetable planting guide/calendar from the RHS
    Weezl74's 50p per person per day eating healthily thread
    Weezl74's frugal recipe testing thread - Phase 1
    Will Power & Billy Can - part 1, part 2, part 3
    The bits we need to include to make this work
    ====================================

Please read the MSE forum rules and help us to keep this challenge on track, thank you.
    If you have any questions about this challenge, feel free to PM me.
    The following is taken from the official MSE forum rules section:

KEEPING THREADS ON-TOPIC

Please try not to take threads off-topic. This can be confusing for new users and makes it especially difficult for people ... Where requests from Board Guides for threads to be brought back on track have not been followed off-topic posts may be removed. We encourage community, but not thread derailment.

Please bear in mind the main purpose of the site is to save money. The forum team has therefore been instructed to prioritise its time on the MoneySaving forums.

KEEPING TOPICS RELEVANT TO THE BOARD

There are two boards provided for off-topic chat and discussion. The MoneySavers Arms has been set up for fun, more lighter-hearted chat (although do still remember this is a family forum Ė keep it clean please). Discussion Time is for discussion of current issues (read Martinís description).

If you post a topic that does not relate to the board itís posted on it will be moved to a more relevant MoneySaving board or to Discussion Time/The MoneySavers Arms.
    ===================================

This challenge is about paying for needs so we can afford to live debt free and save for wants. It runs from 1st January to 31st December 2013 The links will give you an idea of how previous challenges have gone and these will be updated accordingly.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 22-12-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Preparing for 2014 challenge
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Page 5
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 1st Jan 13, 7:01 AM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    So ...

Wishing everyone health, happiness and a prosperous year.... here's to making some cuts, deciding what is essential or not (needs not wants) and us all being more frugal
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • xnatalie81x
    Rising from the ashes - it's more time,space, washing lunch boxes etc. and I don't get any benefits (housing/council/income etc) although I do get some wtc and ctc. I just wondered as Quintwins mentioned her hubby worked (and her a few hrs) so I wondered if I as missing something.
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts Just to see which month )))

One adult + 4 children + dog
    • mummy2threeboys
    • By mummy2threeboys 1st Jan 13, 8:16 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 13,786 Thanks
    mummy2threeboys
    HI all im joining in xx Im laura 34 and have 3 young sons 6,4,1 . One income family abut 25k,(so we are not eligible for any benefit help, we do ok though as long as we dont spend spend spend!) own our house mortage is about 40k , so hope to pay this off in 8 years, our long term plan is to travel the world more. This year id like to continue the debt busting whould be lovely to get rid of it all together ! Dh and i are getting remarried next month (cost £400 all in) and having a family holiday as i got a ppi reclaim, but thats our extravagance,. Im hoping by saving we can go to disneyland florida. personally id rather not have "stuff" we do not need clothes, make up etc and have memorys instead. Anyway hope to get to know you all soon xx
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • xnatalie81x
    My yearly income is also around 25,000 with income, chb, tc and wtc. After rent, debt, national insurance and living (what I included in my frugal challenge budget) I save an average £1000 mth so 12,000 a year. I have Debts which I've been clearing for a few years on a dmp and it was that which led me here many years ago! Have a loan and credit card left that affect my credit rating at about 12k total and 0%. I also have other debts that don't affect my credit rating so I pay monthly but less concerned about those. I guess plan is to fill isa every year then the rest off debts/as a safety net in case of emergencies for the next couple years. Then I have 6 years to save while repairing credit and get a mortage sometime after that (although may be able to buy outright by then!) in meantime we live in our touring caravan but next year ish we will be moving with my parents who now own current house outright and we are moving from London to Lincolnshire )) I may be in a static on their land until ready. It's a loose plan as who knows what life will throw in between and when we move I will take a huge drop in income to £0!!! Until I find some work - ill look closer to time but swimming teachers are generally needed everywhere and I'm v good
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts Just to see which month )))

• kittiej
    Morning All, Happy New Year to everyone - here's hoping you all have an excellent year and manage to achieve all you set out to do

I shall declare my £4k now:

£1200 for petrol (I wish I could ditch the car but it just isn't possible )

£1200 for gas and electric (hoping to have some change left at the end of the year though)

£1200 for food shopping (I am going to have another bash at growing veg this year if the slugs will leave my plants alone)

This leaves £400 for emergencies like car repairs, unexpected expenses. With a bit of luck I will have change left because I really want a Buddha - mad but true

The very best of luck to you all.
    Last edited by kittiej; 01-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jan 13, 2:15 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,318 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Happy New Year!
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • seriouslyfrugal
    • By seriouslyfrugal 1st Jan 13, 2:54 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 5,421 Thanks
    seriouslyfrugal
    hi everyone,

welcome to everyone new

just wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR

lets hope 2013 is good for all of us
    Emma
  • out of debt at last
    feeling a bit pleased with myself made pastys and soup from christmas day carrot and parsnips i never used and a bit of curry powder for the pasty's and coriander for the soup pasty's in oven looking yum, washing out on line as well today, not bad for someone with a stinker of an hangover!
    Having a Consumer Holiday 2015

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 1st Jan 13, 5:57 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    I live in n.ireland and you get free school meals and uniform allowance if you earn less than £17k a year here which we do as they don't tax credits ect into account, i'm sure it will go sometimes soon but until it does i'll be taking advantage of it, then i'll be swapping to pack lunch, you can freeze most of your pack lunch and pop it in frozen and it saves on iceblocks aswell, say sandwichs, yogurt, muffin/bun/fruit cake/banana bread from the freezer bottle of water and some fruit would be quick to throw in a wee bag but i do undertstand how it would be easier and we'e said when we pay the kids will have hot dinner on really cold days.
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 13, 6:27 PM
    • 10,585 Posts
    • 54,639 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Due to some legalities, I cannot put my actual name on the site, Social Services, Adoption agencies etc.
    So I am Mooloo, 51, grandmother, 4 adult children, twins have learning difficulties, they do not live at home, but I have often had to pay thier bills and am still a carer for them to some degree.
    I live with my 5 year old Granddaughter. I have a special Guardianship for her, she has lived with me most of her life.
    The income has gone up and down, but is currently ESA, Child tax credits, child benefit and we are on the last year of the Special Guardianship allowance. So a bit more funds then if I was a single Mum.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 1st Jan 13, 6:36 PM
    • 15,688 Posts
    • 54,014 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Hello,

Well, I have paid my credit card with my savings - paid that on the 31st. Just waiting till the 3 rd to see how much of my 2000 budget I have left after paying rent, savings and loan repayments etc go out.

Have got Mum to use leftovers for lunch today and am encouraging her to defrost meat from the freezer and cook from the cupboards - we have LOADS of food thankfully even without Christmas!

Have spent the day up in the loft chucking stuff out and trying to sort my life out. Going pretty well really. knackered tho!

And started this post hours ago so had better find out what I have missed!

xxx
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 1st Jan 13, 6:55 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    Hi all

I'm sweepng in late as usual! Things have slipped and I need to get a grip, so I'm back and will try to keep up this time!! I have been keeping my speadsheet updated and haven't done too badly over the past year, but still a bit scatty, so need to be more organised.

Here's my budget:

TV Licence £150
    Home Phone and broadband £400
    Mobile £186
    Life Ins £118
    Power and fuel £1000
    Home Ins £120
    Pet ins £100
    Grocery inc cleaning/toiletries £1300
    Pets £300
    DS expenses (inc pocket money/activities/education/clothing) £1100

Total £5234.00

I have £5267 left from reliable income after fixed expenses (mortgage/council tax/water/debts/car - required for work)
    So it's tight.

This does not include any leisure/gift/clothing/household/etc costs so these must be met from any other income I might acquire.
    I do AVON, mystery shops, ebay, car boots, surveys, freegle and dabbled with the local country market but found travelling costs were more than I earned so that's off the list for now. I'm looking into doing classes 'make and create' so let you know how that goes.
    DS1 pays board when he has work but is self employed and work is inconsistent. DD3 is mostly away at uni, so doesn't pay any board - more like costs me money!! Other DDs now left home. I get CTC for DS2 and am going to ask his dad for something towards his keep. I had originally said when we split that I didn't want anything as I have the house, but I've done some calculations and taking into account the equity he could give me around £100 per month and we'd be even by time DS is 18 (he's 14 now).

think that's it for now, will PM Frugaldom to be added to list and look forward to seeing how everyone does.

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 1st Jan 13, 7:37 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Well if we're doing introductions, I am Billy (girl), I have 3 daughters (14,13 and 8), I live with them and my DOH who is self-employed and I work full time as a teacher.

We are a reconstituted family (not sure if that is the correct term) DOH and I got together about 18 months ago, and our eldest is his from his previous marriage. My 2 daughters are the fabulous product of a previous 17 year relationship. So far things are going brilliantly and for the first time in my whole life I am truly happy.

We told the girls today of our budgetting/frugalling plans for the year, and how we plan to get sorted out together and that hopefully by this time next year we should be in a lot better position financially. They said that they would support us which was nice.

So, todays frugaldom included making a beef stew in the slo-cooker massively padded out with potatoes and carrots, home made bread and veg that needed finishing. I also made homemade pizza at lunchtime and they were fine with it. We also all took the dog to the beach for a walk. Was quite surprised as it has proved difficult getting the eldest two out of their beds over the christmas period, and away from their gadgets (iphones/pads/pods etc!). We got wellies on, hats, scarves and gloves and took a flask of coffee and bottles of squash and crisps and left over choc to "keep them going", which helped them not be swayed by the double arches on the way home.

I've also attempted lentil soup (which I've never made before) from the store cupboard, we'll see what that tastes like tomorrow. At the minute it's just trial and error finding meals that we all like and that are cheap, I know we'll get there.
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • cw18
    • By cw18 1st Jan 13, 9:15 PM
    • 8,047 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    I'll try and assemble an intro that makes sense before I turn in for the night (up at 4:30am for work the next 3 days!), as I'll forget if I leave it until tomorrow

I'm Cheryl, I'm 46 (47 this month), have 3 children (DD of 28, and DSs of 23 and 21) and 3 grand-daughters (9.5, almost 8 and the baby who'll be 1 the day after I turn 47). I was married for 16 years, but was widowed just over 4 years ago. My elder son lives with me, but spends so much time at his girl-friend's place that I normally only see him a couple of evenings a week (he's working nights at the moments, so it's a brief time between him getting up and going out) and possibly one morning as he comes home if it's not a day I'm working.

After my kids told me it was time to get on with my life I started dating again, and hit the jackpot in November 2011 My OH generally stays at the weekend, so I cook for the two of us on a Saturday and possibly one Sunday in 3 (he's on a 3 week shift pattern, so the time he leaves varies according to his shift the next week).

I worked in IT from 1985 until 2008 (when I was made in redundant), then after a year of being a SAHM to my youngest (not that he was young enough to need one) I worked in a supermarket bakery for 2 years. I resigned from that job in Nov 2011 due to some health issues caused by working conditions (which management/company weren't doing anything about). Last September I started working at the gym I'd been a member of for just over 2 years, and am now a cleaner there for 24 hours/week (6am-2:30pm Wed, Thur & Fri).

My grocery budget is a lot higher than I'd like, which is partly due to my OH introducing me to high quality foods (mainly meats, so it's partially offset by having less at a time) but mainly due to health problems which appear to be at least in part due to lactose intolerance I'm just about to start a new exclusion diet as there also looks to be a possibility that I could have a problem with eggs (common with lactose) and peanuts!! I'm also having to change my diet to bring my cholesterol levels down (one reason I'm happy to change to the better quality meats and reduce quantities) so that I can avoid the statins my GP wants to give me!
    Cheryl
  • dizzy lizzie
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Page 5 already on the new thread! Great to see new posters as well as familiar ones and all the enthusiam

My plan this year is to join a couple of challenges and stick to them (fingers crossed)
    Stay mindful of my spending and cut out frivolous spends like spur of the moment magazines.
    Menu plan and shop to a list.
    x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • xnatalie81x
    Yesterday popped to dunhelm mills with my mum as needed petrol got 70/100 of this months petrol and the other 30/100 will be gas (dual fuel) I also bought a winter scene Winnie pooh tin (will reveal in a min) for 99p. When I paid for petrol got a £5 off £50 sainsbury shop. Be rude not to so after went to sainsbury.

Spent £6.19 or toiletries budget on pack basics nappies (only one child in nappies and nighttime only so will last month - he is 2yr 1mth and been trained since 21 mths thanks to cloth) plus soap and soda crystals for laundry gloop (stocked up) then spent 2.49 gifts budget on ingredients for no bake peanut fudge and choc to make for sis birthday on 23rd jan to put in winter tin! Total or gift for her £3.48 with a little extra fudge for me

Food shop totalled £39.60 and added to AG order of £46.79 and school dinners £120 mth that's close to my £220 total leaving £3.16 for milk, potatoes etc and £10.00 for meals I'm missing.

Not much planned for today

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 2nd Jan 13, 11:32 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    Morning all not much going on here, slept in abit and then stayed in bed because it was cold.

Hubbys back to work today so one less mouth to fed All food is stuff i have in that needs used up.

Lots of cleaning today after being so ill i really do need to make a start it's near lunchtime after all.

£29.02 out in dd this morning i've spent £40 already which is abit scary!!!
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
  • ostrichnomore
    This is really focussing my mind.

I needed new work shoes and decided to buy two pairs in the sales. Kept thinking 'oh should I just have a look in there' about clothes, but the thought of having to put them on my spreadsheet when I don't really need them at all at the mo, stopped me. It's that whole 'need' versus 'want' thing, and right now what I want is to build up my savings. And this is great for making me realise that the odd fiver here and there really does matter.
    Paid for parking near work today - bad, lazy, but I have built into my budget to do that once a week or so, so let myself off as it's first day back :-(
    Brought in reduced quiche from freezer and some leftover chicken for lunch - big saving over usual habit of buying crisps/sandwich/drink deal.
    Going to whip to supermarket lunchtime and made myself a shopping list for first time for years. 3 things needed, 3 things (only!) will be bought. :-)

I'm loving this challenge!
    I am a long term poster using an alter ego for debts and anything where I might mention relationship problems or ex. I hope you understand
    [CENTER]LBM 08/03/11. Debts Family member £1600, HMRC NI £324.AA 137.45. Halifax credit card (debt sold to Arrow Global)673.49Mystery CCJ £252 Santander overdraft £239 £0 .
    • floella80
    • By floella80 2nd Jan 13, 1:48 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    floella80
    Well done everyone for being frugal. I'm not sure I am brave enough to join at the moment, but I will be following the advice on here and see how well I can do at a frugal living. Good luck everyone!
    Debt free wannabe.
    Loan £6500/£9200 Barclays 1 Clear Barclays 2 £2540.85/£2540.85. MBNA ££3000/£4195.43
    Total Debt: £2607.40/£10,115.75
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 2nd Jan 13, 1:50 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Not off to a very good start today. I knew DD's were coming out for gas, elec and tv licence and had budgeted accordingly.. unfortunately the elec co decided to take an extra £16 without telling me Thankfully there was enough in there but I'm furious.... This means I now have to find £76 extra this month instead of £60

Back to work but didn't spend anything.. my bus pass is already paid for and I resisted coffee, snacks, magazines etc .. all the usual. The plan this afternoon is to get my frugal challenge budget sorted and add to my sig.

Lots of expenses are fixed so can't do anything about those.. they've all been shaved, moved, cut back already. I can do something about my 'stuff' ie make up, clothes, pressies etc. I don't spend a lot (I don't think I do anyway) but was thinking maybe a budget of £520 for the year? Is that doable? Not sure... it should be if I plan. Will ponder and come back later x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,746Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mr_S_David: @MartinSLewis I don?t have a lot, but feel I?m more fortunate than a lot so hit the HAVE button, it?s not rocket science or?

• It's fascinating how some seem almost angry with me for "not defining haves and have-nots." Yet that's not the p? https://t.co/2gC22t7YAJ

• RT @melanie__King: @MartinSLewis ?Haves? to me isn?t financial or materialistic, it?s mainly about freedom of mind, not being oppressed and?

• Follow Martin